xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Omg First Car!  (Read 559 times)

buttface96

• Archived User
Omg First Car!
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 12:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Apr 21 2008, 10:18 AM) View Post

Rather funny that you say it's hard to find decent cars for sale in your area... when I was searching for my truck and my car I found oodles of ebay and craigslist ads for well priced vehicles in SoCal, enough that I considered flying out there to drive something back east.

I was in Chatsworth on business last week and as we drove by a lot with pristine used cars I lamented to my co-worker the fact that anything over 5 years old in the north east is rusted to junk and jokingly commented that I should open a used car dealership in NH where I do nothing but import cars from California. Heck there was even a Cherokee I saw with a for-sale sign on it in a mall parking lot that I seriously considered buying and driving back because of the cheap price and great shape it was in.

Even with the dire used car market in the north east I still managed to find a 99 Tacoma RC 4x4  for $7K which is exactly what I was looking for minus a few amenities that I would have liked. I'll admit that I got a good deal on my Tacoma, but most of the other ones I saw for sale were still only about 9-11K and I could have picked up an S10 even cheaper if I didn't hate GM so much  laugh.gif

Toyotas cost more because they're worth more, and their worth more because they last longer, with regular maintenance you can easily get 225K miles out of one of their engines without any problems.... but I digress.

As for Gas Mileage I would hardly consider 17MPG decent... my lifted V6 Toyota with the engine running like garbage and in dire need of a rebuild got 18 and my current 99 Tacoma gets 23-27 depending on how I drive it and if I'm in 4x or not. anything below 20 is a gas hog IMO. the fact that this truck is RWD and still only get 17 is puzzling to me. "decent" would be over 24, and "excellent" would be over 30.

This might just be semantics but even the US Government considers anything below 22MPG to be a "gas guzzler" http://en.wikipedia....Gas_guzzler_tax

Modern engine management can do fantastic things for fuel economy. For instance: My fathers Z06 corvette, a 5.7L V8, got 28MPG highway...

I'm not trying to be a dick, all-round it's a decent truck, but I don't see it has having any stand-out qualities vs similar vehicles on the market. If you like it, that's great, do let my car-snobbery get in the way of your enjoyment  laugh.gif

If you don't mind my asking... what exactly are you going to use this truck for?

Hmmm We did take quite a bit of time searching on tacomas (2000-2008 models) with an extended cab, automatic transmission, 4cyl, under 60k miles, clean title, airbags, antilock breaks... and i think thats it

Atleast here in ventura county, a tacoma with those qualities were very hard to come by for a decent price in this area.  

Originally we were looking at a decent car that would get great gas milage.... but we later decided a small, lightweight pickup truck would be better because I wont be able to haul a ton of ppl around. So thats when we started looking at small pickups

I guess I say fuel economy is decent when i compare it so my friends raised silverado that gets about 10 mpg... but your right 17mpg isnt really decent

heh dont worry, i know your not trying to be a dick, im just trying to justify our reasons for choosing this truck=)

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
Omg First Car!
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »

I see... you wanted something a little classier than my pickup

I've got a 1999 Tacoma 4x4 Regular Cab
2.7L I4
5-Speed (way better than Auto, better gas miles too, but then I don't have to sit in LA traffic either)
100K miles (but that's equivalent to only 50K in any other car  laugh.gif )
NO ABS
it does have airbags (mandatory by 99 IIRC)

rockin the 2 speaker AM/FM casette with crank windows  love.gif

This is what I was looking for though, Regular Cab 5 speed 4x4 with no ABS = great for the occasional off-road excursion.

hamwbone

• Recovered User
Omg First Car!
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 06:50:00 AM »

twisted, Ive been waiting to post this for ages.  LOL

DIY power windows

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
Omg First Car!
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »

LOL fsking Red Green Show...

I used to watch that on TV when I was a kid  laugh.gif