xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Scion  (Read 1018 times)

CJLee89

• Archived User
Scion
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 07:40:00 PM »

So i test drove a VW Rabbit and it was really nice!
What do you guys think about a VW with maintenance and reliability?

A new SI is definately out of the question and Scions might be to.

I called a Scion dealer today and she said that with a new Scion, negotiations are out of the quesion. I think she is crazy. What do you think?

CJLee89

• Archived User
Scion
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 09:40:00 PM »

EDIT: 2006 Rabbit, 5 speed.

hamwbone

• Recovered User
Scion
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 03:10:00 AM »

Thats kinda the point of the scion. They have a flat out price. Kinda like carmax, take it or leave it.  if you can be honest and can you post your price limit? take your time, were here to help =)

as faw as VW's go, i worked in a shop as a manager for 5 years, any maintence beyond an oil change and alot of places will tell you to go to the dealer. Alot of models also use expensive oil filters, so take that into consideration. why dont you go take a gander and a mazda 3? and watch the newspapers! sure, it may not have every option you want but you might save a few grand. another thing to consider is financing, you might sdave 3k on one car but they might charge and extra 2 % on financing, over 7 years that may add up to 3 grand.  take it slow, doing good so far, just dont impulse buy  tongue.gif

xboxgamer733

• Archived User
Scion
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 07:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(CJLee89 @ May 20 2008, 08:16 PM) View Post
So i test drove a VW Rabbit and it was really nice!
What do you guys think about a VW with maintenance and reliability?
To date, I've personally owned:
  • a 1981 Chevrolet Citation,
  • a 1991 Isuzu Trooper,
  • a 1994 Mitsubishi Montero,
  • a 1997 Volkswagen Jetta,
  • a 2003 Dodge Neon, and
  • a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix.
Although they're not owned by me, I sometimes have driven:
  • a 2003 Buick Rendezvous,
  • a 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe,
  • a 2002 Ford Windstar, and
  • a 2005 Honda Odyssey.
As shown by the lists above, I have seen the quality and reliability of cars from a somewhat-wide of a spectrum; any bias I may have is minimal.

My Jetta was fairly expensive to own and operate because its well-documented engine problems, which, in my case, were the failure of the MAF sensor, timing belt, and oxygen sensor. The quality of its construction, namely its interior, seemed to be below-par as well. Some buttons and switches felt feeble, and the door panels didn't appear to be attached solidly to the doors. Even though it was cool-looking, zippy, and quite fun to drive, the car really needed to be 'babied' in order to not degrade in condition.

My personal opinion of European (specifically German, since I've also test-driven a 1997 Audi A4 Quattro) is that they may not be built for the abuse that a young driver may put them through. Their engines and transmissions yearn to be controlled skillfully, their interiors contain components (like knobs and switches) that can break prematurely, and their exterior parts (such as weather seals) can deteriorate if the car is not garage-kept. I feel that cars of these origins would be best-enjoyed by the conservative driver who will dedicate time for his/her car's upkeep.

As 'hamwbone' already noted, you are sometimes required to visit a car dealership when maintenance is needed on Volkswagens. You may want to consider the negative impact that this can have upon you, especially if any of your future savings are being lowered by attending college soon.

It's very likely that current-model Volkswagens are built with higher standards in mind, but if you do decide to purchase a Rabbit, my advice would be to treat it with a lot of care, and maintain a 'repair fund' for the car's scheduled maintenance; the money would also be desirable if the car decides to 'nickel-and-dime' you with unexpected failures.

-------------------------------

If you take interest in an American-built car, I'd suggest looking into Ford's line. I've heard nothing but positive reviews for the the recent Fusion, and I'm pleased with the apparent quality of my cousin's 2002 Focus ZX5; both my parents' 2002 Windstar and my friend's 2004 Explorer have held-up very well, despite the abuse they have received. Because I'm thoroughly disappointed with my current car, I'm now considering purchasing a Police Interceptor, obviously the police-package Crown Victoria. I find it hard to understand why the 'Ford: fix or repair daily!' saying still exists.

Vehicles made by General Motors do not appear to be built with the quality that they use to be constructed with. Rather, looks seem to take a higher priority on their lists. I won't deny the fact that GM can design very sleek and eye-catching cars, but once a buyer sees past the flare, engineering faults can start to show through. My Citation and Grand Prix, and my parents' Tahoe, have treated us with more issues than I feel can be considered normal, which were mostly transmission and body problems. My parents' Rendezvous suddenly started to leak oil into its coolant, and would sometimes refuse to start.

Chrysler, in the form of my Neon, seemed to create a fairly well-designed vehicle. I decided to sell the car, however, because the engine started producing discomforting tappet noises.

-------------------------------

My most positive experiences were with my Japanese-produced cars. Aside from required maintenances, for the Trooper, I only had to replace its exhaust system after a portion of it fell off because of deterioration, and its thermostat because its heater didn't seem to function as well as it should have been; for the Montero, I needed to only replace the seals around its front driver and passenger-side windows, and its front CV boots. Even though both vehicles were SUVs, I feel that they well-represent their respective makers.

Although you may no longer be able to pursue your original Scion or Honda choices (as stated in your second-to-last post), keep looking around for similar kinds of cars by the same makers. Again, even though the Odyssey that I sometimes need to drive is a van, it really shows that Honda includes quality with all of their vehicle types. If I wasn't so attracted to the 'aggressive' nature of the Ford Police Interceptor, I would definitely consider a Honda or Toyota for my next car (not that they're not aggressive!). I also like the Scion xB, especially the older, boxier design!

So, that's mostly what I have to say. I hope you decide on a car that really suits you. smile.gif

CJLee89

• Archived User
Scion
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »

Thanks for all the replies!! Muchly appreciated.

I don't think we are going to get the Rabbit for one reason only; the closest dealership to us is about an hour away. If it wasn't for that it would be a great deal. '06 Rabbit, 37k miles. 13,700 price tag minus trade in value and probably more negotiation.

I looked at a few Focus' today and wasn't too impressed by them. They had a few great deals though. They are nice cars but the local dealership did not have any 5 speeds. I really want a 5 speed. lol.

My price range right now would be NO more than 15,000.

To add but not important: I saw a Mugen SI today at a local dealership. It was down right sexy looking! lol but not for a 30k price tag!

Tripme

• Archived User
Scion
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »

Oooo, i saw the Mugen SI when I took my car in for a service.  Damn sexy

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Scion
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2008, 05:53:00 AM »

I completely 2nd everything xboxgamer733 said...

I'm not much a fan of the new Focus either... you might consider looking for a used SVT focus though...  happy.gif

IPB Image

They come with a 6-speed IIRC.

CJLee89

• Archived User
Scion
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2008, 08:04:00 AM »

Again thanks for the suggestions. I am still looking so I know I get a car I will like and for the best price.

That SVT looks sweet! Maybe I will find one that is close to home. =]

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Scion
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2008, 09:34:00 AM »

My fiancee owned an 04 Focus ZX3 since it was new and loved it... the car never had any problems it was quite dependable, fun to drive and looked great. She only traded it in because she really wanted a Mini Cooper (and would have bought one instead of the Focus if she had enough money to do so at the time)...

I have a friend that bought an SVT Focus the last year they made them... he's a real car guy too, worked on my WRX with me, into offroad vehicles like jeeps and the like... he loves the SVT and still drives it daily, he even drive it on road trips cross-country a few times a year to visit friends and relatives.

I know there are a few other focus fans on these boards too.

FWIW it shares the same chassis as the Mazda 3 and the Volvo S40

IMO if you're going to buy an American-Made compact car the Focus is it...

CJLee89

• Archived User
Scion
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2008, 07:18:00 PM »

Thanks!

We are going tuesday to test drive some cars.

I found a 2006 5 speed Ford Fusion and a 2005 Mustang 6 cylinder 5 speed. Both within my price range.

We also have to factor in insurance for any car we are looking into.

hamwbone

• Recovered User
Scion
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2008, 06:09:00 AM »

insurance wise, the fewer the doors, the higher the insuance

o The Drizzle o

• Archived User
Scion
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2008, 06:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(hamwbone @ May 23 2008, 07:45 AM) View Post

insurance wise, the fewer the doors, the higher the insuance

so

(price/doors) = insurance....so more doors would lower the price...
what if you....do the unthinkable and divide by zero by getting a motorcycle  ph34r.gif
that would leave insurance companies scratching their heads haah  laugh.gif

....or you go all out and ride around on a remote controller king size bed. thatd be pimp!

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Scion
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2008, 08:09:00 AM »

It depends what you get for insurance, the largest cost is liability which is basically medical exenses from an accident.

my vehicles, being old and generally pre-dating crumple zones and side impact air bags have a higher cost to insure than my fiancee's mini cooper, and I'm only doing liability on my cars while she has full coverage.

collision is the next most expensive part of insurance and that's based on the car's value.

This your rate is also multiplied by a factor in terms of how often that make and model gets in accidents or gets ticketed

similarly you also have a multiplier based on a factor of how often someone of your age and sex get in an accident or get ticketed.

a male under 25 driving an old valuable sports car pays more in insurance than anyone else.

lostboyz

• Archived User
Scion
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2008, 09:08:00 PM »

dont get the mustang, you will just end up spending more on gas and insurance for a wannabe sports car

stick with the previous model focus (esp if you can snag an SVT)

if you get a fusion try and find one with a v6 and awd, then its actually a very fun car (slower cousin of a mazda speed 6)

the new focuses (focii?) are very dependable, great gas mileage and not too slow. There seems to be a a big mod scene for them even only being out 6-8 months now. I can also attest to the safety ratings smile.gif

With gas the way it is you will be seeing a shit ton of the new focuses around, at least I am here in SE michigan.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Scion
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2008, 09:31:00 PM »

^^ MR focus right there...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4