xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: First Truck  (Read 189 times)

no0b123

• Archived User
First Truck
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 10:30:00 PM »

Oh, wow! Thanks Twisted, I waited 3 weeks for that reply! I could not find it myself even.

47_M450N_47

• Archived User
First Truck
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »

I'm convinced... new cars are for suckers  tongue.gif

Definitely, I gave 7k for my little '99 Ranger when I got it 4 years ago.  KBB said it was worth 11k, but we got a deal from a wholeseller.  Anyway, I've put 40k miles on it since I've had it, putting it up to 130k.  It's still worth about 4k I guess, the body has some dings on it and a few scratches, but it's still fairly mechanically sound, although a couple of months ago it caught on fire and nobody can figure out why...  But yeah, if something happens to it, I can just sell off the good parts and get something else.

no0b123

• Archived User
First Truck
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »

I'll get a price quote for my bumper, and I'll let you guys know about it. If its 2,000 like what I owe to the guy I hit, then I'll say forget it. I would rather buy some performance upgrades first, and for Christmas ask to have my truck fixed by my parents  muhaha.gif

no0b123

• Archived User
First Truck
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »

Twisted, which would you get from HERE:

SKU:

Both should work for my Truck, but the cheaper one looks like it comes with more stuff, and is of higher quality. But under item description, it says it's for 1/2 Ton Pick-up while the other one says Silverado 1500 series...

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
First Truck
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »

Are you sure you have an 06?

according to everything I'm seeing the 4.3 V6 wasn't offered in 06.

you sure it's not an 05?

check the 10th digit of your VIN here: it should be a "5" for 2005 or "6" for 2006
http://en.wikipedia....l_year_encoding

no0b123

• Archived User
First Truck
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2007, 09:42:00 PM »

I just checked the VIN and I can confirm, it's a 2006. Why do I feel like I got Jewed? All my friends have the V8 4-5L engines, and they are like 2002-2005  grr.gif

Is my engine bad? I don't expect to haul anything huge, maybe like a medium sized U-haul trailer at the most. But I do want Horsepower, and the speed. Nothing like a Ferrari, but just a quick start, and a higher top-end speed. I think I can only reach like 95 MPH, thats the fastest I have ever gone in it  sleep.gif

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
First Truck
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2007, 04:25:00 AM »

QUOTE(no0b123 @ Sep 25 2007, 12:18 AM) View Post

I just checked the VIN and I can confirm, it's a 2006....

are you sure you don't have the 4.8?

from what I can tell the 4.8 V6 was the lowest motor offered in 2006.

EDIT: nevermind I guess it was offered as a special order item...

in any case I wouldn't order from that site unless you knew exactly which space you need... if I had to guess one of those kits is a generic kit that wont really work well on your truck... you might be better off finding a local dealer to buy from so if it doesn't work you can easily take it back.

Rustmonkey

• Archived User
First Truck
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »

Yeah, those V6s are kinda dogs to start out, but as twisted said, you can significantly boost performance with exhaust upgrades - you let it breath and its amazing what a difference it makes - if you want SIGNIFICANT gains you will most deffinately want to bolt on a pair of headers - they are an easy 15-20 horsies guaranteed.

As far as the comments about buying new, I agree.  I've got a 92 1/2 ton that does me just fine right now.  Its in great shape and, personally, I prefer the body style to the newer ones.  Its got a boat anchor 305 in it right now, but I'm in the process of dropping a 350 in with the Edelbrock TBI package - Desktop Dyno put it at about 310 horsies with 340 ft/lbs of torque - gonna be a screamer compared to my <200 hp 305 - but hell, the 305s got nearly 200 grand on it biggrin.gif

Anyways, sorry for the tangent - the v6s are capable of some power, but you're going to have to spend some money - CAI and throttle bodies will do some good, but a full exhaust system is a great way to really FEEL that you've invested in something worthwhile.

no0b123

• Archived User
First Truck
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 10:20:00 PM »

Thanks Rustmonkey. I want to get a Flowmaster Super 44 Dual exhaust cat-back system for my truck. How did you get over 300HP? I want like 350-400HP. Whats the easiest way of achieving this?

I feel like something is robbing my trucks gas mileage. When I reach top speed of 95mph, I can actually watch the fuel meter drop down by a millimeter every second! I know trucks are bad on gas (15 mpg for me) but DANG! Anything to improve this, I fully understand how to burn gas quick, but how can I improve fuel efficiency with my lead-foot driving?

grim_d

• Archived User
First Truck
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2007, 01:50:00 AM »

QUOTE(no0b123 @ Sep 26 2007, 05:56 AM) View Post

Anything to improve this, I fully understand how to burn gas quick, but how can I improve fuel efficiency with my lead-foot driving?

you can't, the only way to acheive good mileage is to not drive like a bat out of hell.

i dunno what your complainging about, petrol over here is 90p a litre, and thats cheap!

though it is rocket fuel compared to the water you guys have laugh.gif

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
First Truck
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2007, 08:44:00 AM »

QUOTE(no0b123 @ Sep 26 2007, 12:56 AM) View Post

How did you get over 300HP? I want like 350-400HP. Whats the easiest way of achieving this?

First: Throw out what you think you know about horsepower... HP is generally a marketing piece, what you should really interested in is Torque... and at what RPM...

Second: if you want to put up 300-400 HP (or comperable torque numbers) you either need to
A: put a bigger motor in there
or
B: throw a turbo or super charger on there

+whatever other modification need to be performed to accommodate those things.

either way you'd be looking at about a $5K+ investment and a lot of work... make it $10K+ if you're not doing any of the work yourself.

either way more power almost always = lower gas mileage... you can't have your cake and eat it too...

Something like an exhaust has the potential to give you a small HP boost and a small MPG boost, but you wont be adding triple digit power to your vehicle with simple crap like exhausts and intakes.

QUOTE(no0b123 @ Sep 26 2007, 12:56 AM) View Post

I feel like something is robbing my trucks gas mileage. When I reach top speed of 95mph, I can actually watch the fuel meter drop down by a millimeter every second! I know trucks are bad on gas (15 mpg for me) but DANG! Anything to improve this, I fully understand how to burn gas quick, but how can I improve fuel efficiency with my lead-foot driving?

What's robbing your truck of gas mileage is the fact that you're driving a truck...

it weights 4600lbs... thats almost 2 and a half TONS by comparison most cars weigh about 3000lbs

secondly since it's built for hauling crap it's got heavy duty transmission, drive shafts, diffs, axels and large tires... a general rule of thumb is every 10lb of rotating mass that the engine has the adverse effects of being as if you added another 100lbs to the weight of the vehicle. you figure an econemy car is front wheel drive, so it has no drive shafts, the diff is built into the transmission, the gears are smaller and lighter because they don't have to pull nearly as much weight, and the axles are maybe 1" in diameter... you truck by comparison has gears that are twice as heavy, a transfer case going into two large heavy drive shafts, going into two large heavy differentials going into 4 large and heavy axles and pushing large and heavy wheels and tires. The drive train alone probably adds another theoretical 1000lbs to your weight AT LEAST.

To make up for all this weight it's geared lower so that the motor can still pull it, and that means your revs are higher and you're sucking down more gas.

aerodynamically you're driving a brick and all that wind resistance is slowing you down and sucking down more gass... ever wonder why those hybrid cars are so damn ugly? it's because they're designed to reduce wind resistance as opposed to looking good. adding a spoiler to a car can swing gas mileage as much as 3mpg... imagine what changing the whole body shape can do.

If you've got an auto transmission they're usually a little worse on gas than a stick shift too as they're usually heavier and they don't make a solid connection so there is always some amount of power loss.

If you're worried about fuel economy you should have thought of that before you bought the truck...

Some tips:
1. ensure you've got the right tire pressure all the way around, if you live in an area with a frequently changing climate it might be best to invest getting your tires filled with nitrogen as the pressure wont change with the temperature (I run it here in NH because it's 70s to 90s in the summer and -10s to 30s in the winter.

2. make sure your engine is clean and running well, make sure the air filter is clean (if you run a K&N you should "recharge" it every 6 months) make sure the oil is clean, and the spark plugs are clean.

3. make sure your suspension is in good working order. Misalignment can cost you mileage, as can unbalanced wheels, as can dragging brakes, as can worn tires... keeping your vehicle maintained means it will get the best mileage possible.

4. run better fuel... not all fuel is created equal often times the cheaper fuel is cheaper for a reason... personally I've found that Shell Gas gives me an average of +3.5mpg over other brands, fill up at different stations and compare mileage... despite the fact that the Shell gass was 5cents  more expensive then the Hess station next door I actually got more money's worth out of the Shell because of the better mileage. YMMV... literally.

5. invest in a toneau cover for your bed, no only will it look nice and keep the bed clean but that giant wind sail attached the back of your truck wont suck down your mileage.

In generally though you're driving a hippo... you wont be turning it into a svelt greyhound anytime soon... if that's what you wanted then you should have done more research before buying your vehicle.

no0b123

• Archived User
First Truck
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2007, 06:25:00 PM »

Alright. Do you think a Flowmaster exhaust system would still sound good on a V6 4.3L engine?

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
First Truck
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(no0b123 @ Sep 26 2007, 09:01 PM) View Post

Alright. Do you think a Flowmaster exhaust system would still sound good on a V6 4.3L engine?

no clue... did you find any reviews or independent horsepower tests like I suggested 15 or so posts ago?

no0b123

• Archived User
First Truck
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2007, 10:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Sep 26 2007, 11:49 PM) View Post

no clue... did you find any reviews or independent horsepower tests like I suggested 15 or so posts ago?

Yeah, absolute bare minimum HP gain (unless a V8) but still would sound good. Looks like this will be one of the last upgrades I do. Today I payed the guy I rear ended. My bank account is now at $150 dollars. Still trying to get a job here, no one's hiring  dry.gif  Looks like no more upgrades. Thanks for answering my questions though, you can close this thread if you wish.
Pages: 1 [2]