xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Are These Worth Anything?  (Read 127 times)

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Are These Worth Anything?
« on: June 02, 2007, 01:45:00 PM »

hamwbone

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 02:22:00 PM »

All the talk about it changing performance curves and what not is sales talk. Its basically like throwing a resistor on the IAT (intake air temperature) sensor to make the computer think the air outside is colder then it actually is. What that does is throw more fuel into the system just like it does when its cold out, you don't notice it when its cold because it actually needs to run richer. All in all yeah they work, but whats a 4% (AT MOST) performance gain with a 10% extra fuel cost and dirtier engine parts. (Rich running engines like to eat exhaust systems.) If you have money to spare, my motto is why not haha. But you will probably be disappointed.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 03:25:00 PM »

Expensive potentiometer (as stated).
People actually pay for the fixed version off ebay as well, which is just a resistor.
Buy a pot at less than $1.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 11:46:00 PM »

I figured as much but just thought I would ask.  And they all claim not to make a difference in fuel consumption.  HA!!!!!!!!  Thanks for the info though.  At this point I am only looking at stuff that either won't hurt or help improve the fuel efficiency on my current vehicle.

Psykomantis00

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »

These do not actually do anything. But you can gain horsepower by a decent tune. The factory ECU tune is very conservative.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 11:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(Psykomantis00 @ Jun 12 2007, 05:42 AM) View Post

These do not actually do anything. But you can gain horsepower by a decent tune. The factory ECU tune is very conservative.

As is the torque converter on the tranny.  I'm told a solid aftermarket torque converter will turn this thing into an absolute tire-squealing beast.  Kind of a trade-off though as one of the things I love about my Lexus is that it is a very smooth shifter.  On the bright side though, I did learn that when the dealer replaced the catalytic converters on my car, they put aftermarket ones on them and they sure look alot like the Magnaflows that are available for my car.  So I just need to add the K&N that I have on order and find a decent cat back exhaust and I should have some good airflow.   biggrin.gif