xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Rylinkus  (Read 104 times)

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Rylinkus
« on: May 13, 2007, 02:17:00 PM »

If memory serves me correctly didn't they do some sort of major switch with the engine between the '94 and '95 year and if so what are some common problems that I should be aware of.  I have found a '94 Z-28 that seems to be a pretty good deal for the price:

The bad: The car would be a 2-3 hour drive from me and it would be difficult to get it into my mechanic
              The car has 95K miles so it is a bit higher than what I am looking for

The good: The asking price on the thing is only $4K
               It is a 6 speed manual
               It appears to be pretty well taken care of
               It is forrest green (not eyesore red like many of them)

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Rylinkus
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 06:09:00 PM »

No major engine swap. Should be the same LT1 in my 95. They changed the optispark 94-95 maybe. Made it vented. That's the only change worth mentioning. Either way it's still in the stupidest possible place. (Below the waterpump.)

That being said..... Gas prices are already over 3 bucks a gallon. And a Z28 is not good on gas. They're rated at decent #s, but you'd be hard pressed to ever see them. The #s they claim come from lugging the car around in 6th constantly. (Are you honestly gonna do that? I know I don't.) So make damn sure you can afford gas before making this purchase. If gas rises a buck over the next 3 months can you still afford to drive this? Because if not, you may want to walk away.

That being said, its a fun car, no doubt. And very enjoyable to ride. But as gas prices go up, the price of owning one may start to outweigh the fun factor.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Rylinkus
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 11:57:00 PM »

Actually, I would be using the sixth gear quite frequently.  About 70-80% of my driving is highway commuting to and from work in a 65-75MPH zone.  When I test drove the Z-28s a couple of years back I found that in 6th gear I was sitting at about 1600RPMs at 75MPH.  Even with a 350 you can still get decent gas mileage at that point.  

I am also looking at another car tomorrow.  A '94 Mustang GT.

The Bad:

It's Yellow (Yuck)
The asking price is a rediculous $9900 (but I can haggle with these guys)

The Good:

It's the 5.0 302
It's a 5 speed
AND MOST IMPORTANTLY. . . . UNDER 38K ORIGINAL MILES!!!!!!!!!

grim_d

• Archived User
Rylinkus
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 04:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(Rylinkus @ May 14 2007, 01:45 AM) View Post

That being said..... Gas prices are already over 3 bucks a gallon.

/off topic /rant

is fuel cost that much here i guarantee everyone would be driving a V8.

but no, it's double that and the majority have LESS than 1L engines, god damnit

sorry.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
Rylinkus
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 11:12:00 AM »

QUOTE(grim_d @ May 14 2007, 07:17 AM) View Post

/off topic /rant

is fuel cost that much here i guarantee everyone would be driving a V8.

but no, it's double that and the majority have LESS than 1L engines, god damnit

sorry.

/off topic /rant /reply

fuel is cheap so everyone here drives ridiculous SUVs, god damnit

if it were double the price we might see a revival of smaller better handling cars.

... the grass is always greener....

xboxhackern00b

• Archived User
Rylinkus
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 02:53:00 PM »

i live in the suv capital of the u.s. and gas is up to 3.20$! at places

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Rylinkus
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 04:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ May 14 2007, 07:33 AM) View Post

Actually, I would be using the sixth gear quite frequently.  About 70-80% of my driving is highway commuting to and from work in a 65-75MPH zone.  When I test drove the Z-28s a couple of years back I found that in 6th gear I was sitting at about 1600RPMs at 75MPH.  Even with a 350 you can still get decent gas mileage at that point.  

Look, I have no idea what your finances are. But I know I put under 100 miles on my van most weeks, and still dump 20+ buck into every week. Sometimes more. You can kid yourself into thinking you'll see good gas mileage from a Z28, but you won't. Drive in 6th on the highway full time and you may eek out 20. But honestly 15ish is far more reasonable, even with with conservative driving. Add some "spirited driving" and some start and stop and youll be in the teens. Seems to me there's plenty of cars that are cheaper to drive and still amusing. I'm looking for a Miata myself to trade my Camaro.

2 Years ago the Camaro was a great bang for the buck car. Add gas prices and that buck is now higher.

Aside from that here's some random things to watch depending on speakers.
- Leaky T Tops. They're expensive to replace and leaking cars blow.
- Electric windows / Dorrs / seats if equipped. Also not a cheap repair
- Does the rear lid stay up? It weights a ton
- Leak any oil? Specifically rear main or front main?
- exhaut mani leaks? (It's a PITA to replace em) Granted all work on them is a royal pain
- The hi end BOSE stereo SUCKS. Sounds like shit. And if you need to replace anything it's all from factory or replacing EVERYTHING. (Speakers are self amped, so to replace the deck you must replace all 4 speakers + the signal wires as theyre too small for a normal deck rolleyes.gif )

And Yellow is kinda cool IMO

And i agree with Twisted. I'd love more decent handling 1 l cars here.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Rylinkus
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 04:38:00 PM »

Okay.  Good to know.  Anyways, I test drove the mustang today and was pretty disappointed.  I realize that there is alot that you can do with them for cheap but the stock GT (even with a manual tranny) just wasn't impressive.  That and the damn main rear seal was leaking on the thing.  So I told the dealer what to do with his car and it's rediculous price tag.