xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: My 1986 Corrola  (Read 142 times)

CJLee89

• Archived User
My 1986 Corrola
« on: May 06, 2007, 05:31:00 PM »

what color was the smoke? it sound like something went wrong inside the engine which is not good.

_iffy

• Archived User
My 1986 Corrola
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 08:13:00 PM »

Either a bad fuel/air mixture (ie: bad carburetor)(white smoke), or your burning oil (ie: broken gasket)(blue smoke).

Sounds like a bad fuel/air mixture to me though.

rms2001

• Archived User
My 1986 Corrola
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 08:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(_iffy @ May 6 2007, 09:49 PM) View Post

Either a bad fuel/air mixture (ie: bad carburetor)(white smoke), or your burning oil (ie: broken gasket)(blue smoke).

Sounds like a bad fuel/air mixture to me though.

In a gas engine, white smoke useally means water and or antifreeze entering the cylinder, and the engine trying to burn it with the fuel. White smoke is not a bad fuel/air mix. Get your info right before you post. If you aren't sure or you don't know what you're talking about, don't advise. Wrong advice can be more damaging than the actual problem.

With out knowing more, its hard to say for sure what wrong with your Toyota. Give us more info and we can probably nail down your problem.

CJLee89

• Archived User
My 1986 Corrola
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 12:54:00 PM »

either way the worst case scenario is a piston ring going out or some other internal seal going out. but we will need more info on whats going on?

1.) What color was the smoke?

2.) Any unusual noises coming from the engine? clanking, scraping etc.

3.) When does the smoke come out? accelerating? while stopped or in park? all the time, but more when accelerating?

CJLee89

• Archived User
My 1986 Corrola
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 05:35:00 PM »

the gluh gluh sounds could be that your engine is starving for fuel and/or air. it could be a fuel reg problem or a carb. its kinda weird that your Corrola is not fuel injected.

just do some troubleshooting from what we have all said and get back to us.

xboxhackern00b

• Archived User
My 1986 Corrola
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(CJLee89 @ May 7 2007, 06:11 PM) View Post

its kinda weird that your Corrola is not fuel injected.

i also have an 86 nova, pretty much a badged corolla it's on it's 2nd carb

rms2001

• Archived User
My 1986 Corrola
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 10:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(CJLee89 @ May 7 2007, 07:11 PM) View Post

the gluh gluh sounds could be that your engine is starving for fuel and/or air. it could be a fuel reg problem or a carb. its kinda weird that your Corrola is not fuel injected.

Okay, the ‘gluh gluh’ sound dose not explain the white smoke. This would be a combination of problems all tired into together. I also find it odd my self, this engine is not fuel injected. If memory serves me right the ’86 Corolla had the 4AGE engine and has always had EFI unless changed afterward. It wasn't uncommon to find carburetored engines into the 90s. I had a 1988 Jeep Wrangler that was carburetored.

The gluh gluh could very well be a fuel delivery problem. Check your fuel filter, it mite be clogged. If you have a way to testing fuel pressure so so. I don’t know off hand what the PSI should be for this engine, but you could also have a bad fuel pump.  

No, the white smoke. I still think this could be a coolant leak into the engine it self. I’m not really up to par with the 4AGE, I’m more familiar with the 22R and 22RE engines that are popular in late 80s and early 90s Toyotas. These engines had a problem with the timing chain wearing a whole though the timing over and letting the coolant and oil mix. Resulting in white smoke. Just an idea.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
My 1986 Corrola
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »

Some of the GTS may be EFI, but there's definitely mid 80s Corollas that are carbed.

If the smoke is white you can easily detect burning coolant by the smell. Burning antifreeze has a distinct smell. Almost sweet. You'd also be able to taste the sweetness in any moisture that forms on the interior of the tail pipe. (Warning: Tailpipes can be hot and antifreeze is toxic.)

rms2001

• Archived User
My 1986 Corrola
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 10:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(Rylinkus @ May 8 2007, 09:56 PM) View Post

(Warning: Tailpipes can be hot and antifreeze is toxic.)

OMG. tongue.gif I could not help but laugh at this. This is the first laugh I've had all day.

capboy210

• Archived User
My 1986 Corrola
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 04:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(gordo1111 @ May 11 2007, 05:27 PM) View Post

I'm certainly not gonna smell the tailpipe but I'll try to feel the moisture around it. Don't worry, I'll just run it for a few seconds.
My Corolla has suffered enough maybe I should just sell it to a junk yard.
Saving up for a 360 biggrin.gif

I think you better save up for a new car  smile.gif