xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: My 240sx Search and Build up  (Read 1446 times)

jesterrace777

• Archived User
My 240sx Search and Build up
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2007, 03:06:00 AM »

I'm all over it.  I will make a new thread for it.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2007, 08:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ May 24 2007, 03:12 AM) View Post

As for buying a car being that easy, don't kid yourself.  I have been shopping for a car for about 2 months straight.  blink.gif

BAH HAHAHAH

I decided to sell my WRX for a new car LAST SUMMER
I finally sold it LAST DECEMBER
and I finally found the car I wanted about 3 weeks ago and put a deposit on it

I don't have that car yet... why?

It would seem that the original owner (from CT) sold it to a shady dealer in Maine. The dealer never registered it or applied for a Maine title transfer. The guy who owns it now bought it from this dealer signed the title and the dealer was going to file the title paperwork for him. In the mean time he took the BOS from the dealer and registered it in Maine and the dealer fell into legal trouble and had all of his paperwork seized (including the CT title and the unfilled Maine title application).

So I've been told that I will be waiting 4 to 6 weeks before the current owner receives the title... this is after I was told 3 weeks ago that it would be another week to week and a half.

Then once I get the car it's going right into the shop to get the transmission swapped out

This isn't the first car I've placed a deposit on either... One I drove 3 hours to look at and was called the next day saying that he decided not to sell it because his other vehicle (a pickup) was having engine trouble and he would have no choice but to drive the car until he could get around to fixing the truck.

And another one that I drove 2 hours to see and was told that it had slight overheating problems after really long drives... yeah it wouldn't even make it off the lot for a test drive.

Never mind the 8 or so people who I called/emailed multiple times and received NO RESPONSE WHAT-SO-EVER. Despite the fact that weeks after my first attempt at contact I watched the vehicles get relisted with lower prices and more desperate sounding descriptions.

looking for a car you like for 2 months... test driving it and handing over some cash in exchange for the keys and a title is what I would call a VERY EASY car buying experience.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »

incidentally, I did post a couple of pics.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2007, 05:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ May 24 2007, 03:12 AM) View Post

...  As for buying a car being that easy, don't kid yourself.  I have been shopping for a car for about 2 months straight.  blink.gif  ...

I'm just posting to remind jesterrace777 that I STILL don't have my 240sx yet...  I've been in the market since December 06 when I sold my WRX that's 6 months ago...

I started this thread about 3 months ago

I put a deposit on a car 1 month ago but still don't have it due to issues with the title.

... enjoy your Toyota... bastard  tongue.gif

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2007, 01:29:00 AM »

No such luck I am afraid.  The aftermarket catalytic converters have given up the ghost (shoddy install job) so I am pretty much having my whole exhaust redone by my mechanic.  Needless to say I really can't afford to have it done so I am probably going to have to sell it.  I am pretty set on leasing a new vehicle so I can have a monthly payment without the hassle of dealing with expensive surprises on maintenance.  Even though I will never be able to get a car as nice as the Lexus, I have been seriously considering a Scion TC.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2007, 08:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ Jun 25 2007, 04:05 AM) View Post

No such luck I am afraid.  The aftermarket catalytic converters have given up the ghost (shoddy install job) so I am pretty much having my whole exhaust redone by my mechanic.  Needless to say I really can't afford to have it done so I am probably going to have to sell it.  I am pretty set on leasing a new vehicle so I can have a monthly payment without the hassle of dealing with expensive surprises on maintenance.  Even though I will never be able to get a car as nice as the Lexus, I have been seriously considering a Scion TC.

it's a 1995 and that means they don't need to check the OBDII port for inspection/emissions

pull off the cat get a steel rod and smash out the honeycomb ceramics inside of it... put it back in place and snip the trace going to your check engine light.

They run clean enough that it should still pass the sniffer (if your state even does the sniffer test)

... enjoy your new car

even aftermarket cats run between $150 and $300 and if you can turn a wrench you can put it on yourself. Having the whole exhaust rebuilt seems like you're looking for an excuse to not keep it.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2007, 04:59:00 PM »

You didn't see the horrid botched pipe job that those incompetent fucks did.  They had to replace the whole pipe in order to ensure it gets good air flow (so the catalytic converters wouldn't get burned up again).  The fuckers who did it before not only chopped the front off of the catalytic converter and welded a front plate on it, they also had something that looked like a small sink pipe running between the two cats.  Add that to the fact that the fucked up cat was mounted almost straight to the headers (instead of sitting under the passenger seat) and you can understand why the whole thing needed to be redone.  
As for the pipe sniffing there is no way that I would pass air emissions without a decent freeflowing exhaust with cats on it.    I just got the car back and it was damn spendy but it looks great underneath now and the car has the best airflow that it has ever had.  It also has a little bit more of an aggressive sound to it.  That being said, I can get a smoking lease deal on an '08 Scion TC and I will probably opt for that in a couple of months.  I keep doing the figures and I just can't justify the disparity between how much I have put into the car thus far and how much I will need to put into it within the next year (struts and tires will probably need to be done in this time frame and the struts are HORRIBLY EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!).   I can afford the monthly payments on the Lexus easily, but these surprise maintenance issues are just killing me.  So when I consider that for around $50 a month more than my current monthly payment that I can have a brand new vehicle with a warranty and no bizarre maintenance surprises that cost me hundreds of dollars at a time, I have a hard time justifying holding onto the Lexus.  If I were a handy man that knew my way around cars and had the shop and tools at my disposal to do so, then it would be one thing.  Given the fact that my knowledge of cars is limited to specs, and diagnosis I am hardly in a position to really be able to do all of these things on my own.  If you guys knew how unsteady my hands were, you wouldn't even think of suggesting that I pick up a welding/cutting torch.

Incidentally, the '08 Scion TC is an impressive little brut.  Definitely plenty of horsepower and torque for a 4-banger (reminds me alot of the Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V) and in terms of launching, it is actually quicker than my Lexus.  I test drove the base model with the 5-speed manual and it is more than sufficient for the average person's needs.  Corners and turns on a dime.  Not as smooth of a ride as the Lexus but definitely a fun little car to drive.  It is one of the few four cylinders that I have been impressed with.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2007, 08:34:00 AM »

well, good luck to you, I can certainly attest to detesting surprise maintenance needs, my truck goes through kicks every 6 months where it decides to fall apart all over the place

When I first bought it:
-new windshield
-new washer pump
-new rear breaks
-fender flares (to pass inspection because the tires were too wide)
-Full alignment

The windshield and the flares I knew about getting into it, the pump and the brakes I didn't.

A 6 months later it needed
-new ebrake (because I drove off while it was still on... d'oh)
-new tires
-full alignment again
-new ball joints
-new muffler and exhaust hangers... the original hangers were welded directly to the muffler by the previous owner and it caused the exhaust to crack... goody goody gum drops
-rebuilt rear diff because it was leaking fluid all over the place.

6 months after that it needed
-new clutch (the pressure plate cracked and the clutch stuck together... driving to the shop without the ability to disengage the clutch was sure fun.
-another new washer pump (they were literally cracking apart and falling off)
-Repaired rear right shock mount TWICE... the metal literally snapped, they welded it, it snapped again, then they fabricated a whole new part and it's worked great since.

3 months after that
-new radiator (I think the coolant was leaking on the washer pump and that's what caused it to break apart.
-new door handles... Somehow the passenger side door handle snapped... I ended up replacing both of them just in case

Now I think I might need new brake pads and the rear drums could probably deal to be resurfaced
inspection time is in july... I can't wait to see what they find.  laugh.gif  This is also excluding a number of problems I've known about for quite some time but neglect to fix... like the AC that needs a recharge, window handles missing the knobs, paint that is in desperate need of stripping and re-spray, new front and rear bumpers, frame straightened (it's ever so slightly tweaked), crooked drivers seat (yes I drive leaning towards the door), and a broken oil pressure gauge   (at least I hope it's the gauge, it's not leaking or overheating so as far as I know the engine is a-ok rolleyes.gif )

I really can't wait to get the 240sx I know it needs a little work (alignment, tires, new brake pads) but with only 60K miles and being completely unmodified I suspect it will be much less of a headache than my 150K mile beat-to-snot with homebrew repairs pickup

New cars are nice, but even with all the $$ I've dumped into the pickup it's less than a new one... and if I did spend the money to rebuilt a lot of it, it would still be less than a new one and I do love the truck (it's just bad-ass  cool.gif  )

The Scions are awesome cars though, and relatively inexpensive, if the tC was RWD I would already own one...   happy.gif

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »

I did the math and I have already put more into my Lexus (between original purchase price and everything I have done to it) than I would for leasing a Scion TC for 3 years (excluding the down payment on the lease).  So unless my Lexus needs absolutely nothing else done on it in the next 3 years (very unlikely) then the Scion would definitely be a better deal.

xboxhackern00b

• Archived User
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2007, 11:34:00 AM »

my car took a shit on me the past 2 days too

1st day i had a fowled plug so i bought a new set of 4
2nd day i hear something in my brakes so i check, somehow a rock or something got inbetween my rotor and pad and at threw the pad and into the rotor, so i bought two new rotors and a set of pads

Lemon Crevice

• Archived User
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(xboxhackern00b @ Jun 27 2007, 02:10 PM) View Post

my car took a shit on me the past 2 days too

1st day i had a fowled plug so i bought a new set of 4
2nd day i hear something in my brakes so i check, somehow a rock or something got inbetween my rotor and pad and at threw the pad and into the rotor, so i bought two new rotors and a set of pads

those two aren't all that horrible and rather routine if you ask me
on my 90 Wrangler i had to:
1. replace front pads and rotors
2. replace rear shoes and drums
3. replace all brake lines
4. replace all 4 shocks
5. four new tire(wheels too but that was personal choice)
6. new tail pipe
7. new set of plugs
8. oil change, oil filter, fuel filter, fuel injector cleaner
9. replace all U joints on all four wheels and two for drive shaft
 that was all in the first 2 months of owning the Jeep, but the past 2 have been smooth sailing(Knock on Wood), but i know that ill need new flares for my tires aswell im stickin out a good 2 1/2" on each tire. But since inspection is 8 months away whats the rush.

A more on topic Comment/Question:
Any new updates on when your getting your 240? When i got my jeep from NH( i live in MA) it took only a 4 days to get a title because the previous owner didn't have one, but maybe thats because it was from NH.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2007, 08:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(Lemon Crevice @ Jun 27 2007, 10:40 PM) View Post

A more on topic Comment/Question:
Any new updates on when your getting your 240? When i got my jeep from NH( i live in MA) it took only a 4 days to get a title because the previous owner didn't have one, but maybe thats because it was from NH.

That depends how old your jeep is... 15 years or older and a title is not required in the state of NH (they wont even issue one) meaning that a registration and bill of sale from the previous owner is all that is needed. to get a title in another state.

my patience are wearing thin with this 240 deal... I've been keeping one eye on craigs list for another solid one but all of them either have 100K+ miles on them, are beat to snot, or they want way more than the car is worth.

Anyway a brief run down of this title crap:
-Back in may I looked at the car, agreed to pay $5500 for it gave the kid $500 for a deposit the rest to be paid when the title came in because he was waiting for the state to send him the title and we signed paperwork to this effect.

I was told that he had only owned the car since last October, the previous owner was from CT, and it wasn't driven the winter, he had only just registered it in the spring and decided that he didn't like having an automatic. He also pointed to an old BMW 5 series that he bought as a replacement for the 240 as his summer car.

I was told that it would be "a week to a week and a half" before I got the title and he said "I wish I had put a rush on it so we wouldn't have to wait"

-One week after putting down my deposit I get a call and was told that the previous owner had all of their titles put on hold and that it would take another month to month and a half. He also let me know that if I didn't want to wait that long he'd understand and would give me my $500 deposit back. I'd told him I'd wait.

-Over the next week I asked a few people I knew in Maine if they knew anything about title law there and how long things take... I heard that transferring a title from another state can take as long as 45 days before the state will issue a new one, but it's usually much shorter

-I then decided to call the Maine BMV and see if they'd give me any information... the lady who answered the phone was very helpful and when I gave her the VIN she informed me that not only was there no record of a Maine title having been issued there was no record of any application having ever been filed, nor was there any application being held for any reason... I informed her that the car had Maine plates on it and gave her the license plate number she confirmed that it was registered but she had no idea how they managed to register the car without a title... And she was adamant about not buying the car until I had the title (duh, but it was nice of her to make sure).

According to her the only way to get the title was to either A. find the original one and have it signed over or B. have the previous owner from CT file for a duplicate title and re-sell it (on paper).

-I then called the CT DMV, this time armed with only the VIN and the knowledge that the original owner was from CT (no idea who they are). After being put on hold for OVER AN HOUR (thank god for speaker phone next to my computer) I told the operator my situation and wanted to know if a title transfer had been filed. She asked me what year the car was and when I told her 1995 she insisted that I didn't need one in NH... after I explained to her that the law don't require them after 15 years and the car is only 12 she put me on hold for 10 minutes and came back to tell me that I was right. I then gave her the vin and she informed me that the the car was still legally a CT vehicle, and she had no record of any paperwork having been filed for a transfer to another state, nor any paperwork having been filed for a duplicate title...

-I sent an email out to the guy in Main telling him what I found out from calling the Maine BMV and CT DMV, told him I wasn't accusing him of anything but to just give me straight up what was going on.

-He told me that he didn't buy the car directly from the CT owner but instead from a dealer, the dealer was supposed to file the title application for him and he registered it by using the dealer bill of sale (which is a legal alternative to a title).  He also told me that his new car was registered and that the 240 was being taken off the road (good)

-A week later I get another email from him saying that he found out the dealer never sent in the paperwork (no shit, I him that a week prior when I did the research myself) and that he was going to try to get in contact with him but he only had an email address so communication was slow (huh?). He said that he also found out that if he can't get the title from the dealer he would have to file for an "investigation of ownership" which can take up to 2 months, so he was going to try to get the title from the dealer... Strange how when I called the Maine BMV they never mentioned anything about that...

-last Thursday I get a phone call from him: he got a phone number for the dealer and talked to him.. the Dealer was going to be in Augusta on Friday and was going to look for the title but he was pretty sure that it was sent out way back when. The guy in main assured me that he would be calling me back Friday after he had heard from the dealer

so that was a week ago and I still haven't heard from him. I might call him tonight to chew him out.

A lot of people are just telling me to walk away but you know what, it's not costing me anything to wait for this chuckle head, and he made it clear when he bumped up the time table to months instead of weeks that he'd give me my deposit back. In the mean time I've been looking for a comparable 240, but I've had no such joy yet.

On more than one occasion I've been tempted to call the CT DMV to see if they'd give me the name and address of the official owner of the car, contact them and have them re-sell the card directly to me and then go have it repoed from the chump in Maine  laugh.gif

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2007, 10:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ Jun 26 2007, 08:37 PM) View Post

I did the math and I have already put more into my Lexus (between original purchase price and everything I have done to it) than I would for leasing a Scion TC for 3 years (excluding the down payment on the lease).  So unless my Lexus needs absolutely nothing else done on it in the next 3 years (very unlikely) then the Scion would definitely be a better deal.

I disagree with this math entirely. If you keep the Lexus you OWN a car. That you can sell at some later date for money. If you lease a Scion you own nothing. Looking at the costs and comparing them is a bit off I think.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2007, 11:05:00 AM »

QUOTE(Rylinkus @ Jun 28 2007, 01:05 PM) View Post

I disagree with this math entirely. If you keep the Lexus you OWN a car. That you can sell at some later date for money. If you lease a Scion you own nothing. Looking at the costs and comparing them is a bit off I think.

oh yeah... I totally didn't pickup that he was LEASING the scion...

The only time where I would consider leasing a car is if the buyout at the end of the lease is some ridiculously low number.

For the most part though leasing is just a huge waste of money IMO. and an overall bad idea if you plan on ever making even minor modifications to the car.

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »

i lease all the time, but with a twist. My dad works for ford and I am still a dependent so he has the ability to lease 3 company vehicles. The benefit is insurance is covered so for a flat rate of $260/month i have a car and full coverage, and if anything goes wrong with it i can stop at any ford dealership in the country and have it fixed free of charge.

Normally a lease is a dumb idea i agree.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15