xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: My 240sx Search and Build up  (Read 1416 times)

grim_d

• Archived User
My 240sx Search and Build up
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2007, 07:19:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Apr 24 2007, 02:13 PM) View Post

I wasn't aware that they stopped the HICAS in 94...  I know the LSD is a fairly straight forward install but how difficult is it to upgrade to ABS? do you just replace the master cylinder or are there other things involved?

neither was i, but i did a little digging and apparently that is the case, for the 240's anyway, unless it was an SE it probably wouldn't of had it anyway, but it CAN be added if your willing to do the work.

Yeah the LSD is an easy job. itl cost you maybe not even $100 for the diff and the fitting, even less if your a competent welder.

ABS isnt really regarded as an aftermarket upgrade, i mean i hear the modules for these cars run about $700, and i think the whole process of getting it done can run into 4 figures. If you really want ABS i think your gonna have to buy a car that comes with it, however you should do a little digigng on that and see for yourself.

CKwik240

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(grim_d @ Apr 24 2007, 06:26 AM) View Post

Yeah the LSD is an easy job. itl cost you maybe not even $100 for the diff and the fitting, even less if your a competent welder.

Not sure why you would need to weld unless you are shortening the existing driveshaft.  I did mine with nothing but wrenches, sockets and a jack.

I should also note that Z32 300ZX normally aspirated diffs are also semi-compatible.  They have the same nose length as the non-LSD 240sx diff as the ABS sensors for the 300zx were mounted on the sides as they have 4 channels of ABS vs the 3 channels the 240sx's had.  The problem is the side output shafts of the 300ZX uses 5 bolt flanges and require replacement.  And these output shafts are no longer available through Nissan unless they were resurrected for the newer RWD nissans.  The other problem was that when they were available, they cost about $300 for the pair.  But if by some chance you can score a set of these output flanges cheap, and can source a NA 300ZX diff, then this would be another option.  Be aware that the stock 240sx output flanges will not work with a VLSD.  They will fit, but will not engage the viscous coupling essentially leaving you with an open diff.

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2007, 05:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(CKwik240 @ Apr 24 2007, 11:37 PM) View Post

Not sure why you would need to weld unless you are shortening the existing driveshaft.  I did mine with nothing but wrenches, sockets and a jack.

i stand corrected then, i just did a little reading about replacing the diff and that's the impression i got smile.gif

If it's bolt on then happy days!

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »

Quick thought on LSD. I think the LSD from the Nissan Pickups is compatible with that of the 240s. I had a buddy who made an offer for mine, for his car. I opted to keep it in my truck.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2007, 06:02:00 AM »

ok So I did a Car Fax and it says that the car IS an SE model  biggrin.gif

I suppose if it doesn't have the LSD it would give me an excuse to upgrade to to a nicer electro/mechanical one... I really don't like the viscus diffs, my WRX was all viscus and that's one of the things I hated about it.

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2007, 06:05:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Apr 25 2007, 01:09 PM) View Post

ok So I did a Car Fax and it says that the car IS an SE model  biggrin.gif

I suppose if it doesn't have the LSD it would give me an excuse to upgrade to to a nicer electro/mechanical one... I really don't like the viscus diffs, my WRX was all viscus and that's one of the things I hated about it.

go forth and buy!

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2007, 10:34:00 AM »

I'm also reconsidering a 240sx in Vermont... it's a black 91SE with an s14 blacktop swap half done.. according to the guy he started the swap and got lost with the wiring harness, it needs the harness done and it comes with a brand new FMIC he originally wanted $3800 but over the last two weeks his price has dropped and it's only $2500 now...

I figure it's worth it just for the motor/FMIC as long as the motor actually works but I need to figure out how to get it back to NH it's 6 hours on the road round trip and not only does my truck not have a hitch I doubt the engine would be up to the task of pulling another car.

I could probably buy that one AND the one in MA.  biggrin.gif

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2007, 02:55:00 PM »

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2007, 05:55:00 AM »

QUOTE(Rylinkus @ Apr 25 2007, 05:02 PM) View Post

yeah I saw that one listed on 240sxone.com too the previous owner chimed in and dubbed it a complete rust bucket  sad.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2007, 06:20:00 AM »

I am so friggin Paranoid right now it's not even funny.  blink.gif

ok I've weeded through a lot of junk listing looking for the right car.

There is a guy in Portland with a drop dead beautiful 95 240sx black every last factory option low miles (69K) original paint and not so much as a scratch on it... reasonably priced below book at $5500... the only problem is it's an auto  sad.gif

I've put off looking at it trying to find a 5 speed... after looking all sorts of overpriced borderline junkers I called up the guy in Maine and made an appointment to see his car on Sunday (I have family commitments Friday and Saturday), figuring it's too perfect and an auto will just motivate me to do the swap sooner.

This morning I did my daily rounds of searches and what do I find... not one but TWO 240sx's that are essentially EXACTLY what I want.

http://boston.craigs.../322548719.html
^ The exact color I wanted, the front end swap done, sunroof... the interior trim is a little ugly and that spoiler will go but CHRIST it's only $4300!!!! if it's for real I'd take the day off from work tomorrow and drive down there with cash in my hand...

This is where the paranoia comes in... it was listed last night around 6pm  and the guy only has an email address.. I've sent him an email but I'm seriously worried someone else will swoop it up   ph34r.gif  ph34r.gif  ph34r.gif

The other one:
http://nh.craigslist.../322666351.html

$7000 it's got the factory KA24 motor but the internals are all redone and it's got a turbo... ALSO has the S15 front end swap... no pictures but if it is what he says it is $7K is a steal. I'm not overly worried about this one being picked up as fast considering his location and the lack of pictures but damn if I don't have time to go look at the damn thing  sad.gif

I don't want to blow off the guy from Maine but it's not like I can easily stop in Keene, Boston, and Portland in the same day... they're all about 100 miles in opposite directions from where I am...

quite possibly THE WORSE weekend for these cars to pop up... where the hell were they last week  dry.gif

GAH!!!!

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2007, 09:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(CKwik240 @ May 2 2007, 04:05 PM) View Post

It would appear the 2nd one isn't turbocharged.  He has a turbo, but listed it under the uninstalled parts section.

ahh i didn't notice that. Even still, free turbo, coil overs and sways too! those are fun to install.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2007, 04:30:00 AM »

mad.gif I emailed and called yesterday morning and neither one of them has got back to me  mad.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2007, 05:39:00 AM »

Well the turbo give a lot of options
-hock on ebay/make some $$$ back
-bolt on to KA and make a torque monster
-swap to an SR and use it there for an HP monster

I'm cool with all of those scenarios  smile.gif

The one in Boston vanished from craigs list, I think it was a scam because doing a google search of the contact email I found the same exact listing in 4 other area craigs lists.  dry.gif

... the douchebag in Keene wont return my calls either  mad.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2007, 12:54:00 PM »

Ok so several listings have gone by without the seller answering my emails (I can't help but think they're scams and I'm signing up for some spam lists  sad.gif  )

The douche-bag in Keene has his car still listed. I called him 3 times in 4 days and that was a week ago... still no call back so he can shove his 240...

I postponed the trip to Main last week to pursue these other cars and that was a mistake. This Saturday I'm driving up to portland and if this car drives as good as it looks I'll have some new wheels

Here are some pics from the car in Portland:

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Take a look at that last picture and tell me why I've been hesitant about this car  rolleyes.gif

I figure it will motivate me to do the engine swap sooner... every other aspect of this car is perfect... including the price.

Lemon Crevice

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2007, 10:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ May 10 2007, 03:30 PM) View Post

Take a look at that last picture and tell me why I've been hesitant about this car  rolleyes.gif

the only thing i could think of that i don't like about this car is the Auto tranny but when your doin an engin swap a tranny swap would be a nice thing to do while your at it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15