xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: My 240sx Search and Build up  (Read 1498 times)

grim_d

• Archived User
My 240sx Search and Build up
« Reply #135 on: May 06, 2008, 12:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ May 6 2008, 07:46 PM) View Post

What are you driving now, and what do you plan on buying?

currently im still driving a tired old 94 sunny (as can be seen in post your cars up)

the current plan is to get a GTI sunny to do up for a while till i save up the cash for either a

pulsar/sunny GTI-R (im a bit of a sunny freak)
mercedes 190e Cosworth
s14 (though im still not sure if i fit)

nice examples of each can be picked up for around £4000 but id like to get a shiner.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #136 on: May 06, 2008, 01:59:00 PM »

The S14 is definitly not built for big people... if you do get one you'll definitly want one WITHOUT a sun roof as that will give you at least an extra inch of head room.

Before you even get in the car to test drive for the first time, reach down and slide the seat all the way back and angle the steering wheel up.... this is doubly important if the current owner is female  laugh.gif

I can't tell you how many s14's I test drove where I attempted to get in only to look like I was falling down and kicking the steering wheel at the same time... then getting back up and adjusting things just to get in it.

I'm not very tall but I'm barrel chested and I've got quite broad shoulders (I sick out a good 2 inches on either side of an airline seat) The 240 is quite comfortable once the seat and steering wheel are adjusted properly, though climbing in and out is an adventure.  laugh.gif

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #137 on: May 06, 2008, 03:25:00 PM »

im ok in a mkII mr2, just, though the s14 was at the bottom of the list for that reason, im far more interested in a 190 or a GTI-R, though ya never know what ill decide when time comes.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #138 on: May 09, 2008, 08:20:00 AM »

Updates to my car will slow down a bit since I'll need to find a new truck and and my fiancee's car is in the shop too.

most recently I finished building an amp bypass harness since no one on the market makes them... I wrote a tutorial too which you can read here: http://forums.nicocl...rothread/335534

IPB Image

I might put in my rear speakers soon, since that will be easy and one of the stockers is blown... the fronts will take some work since they're components, I'll wait till my car situation is settled since the fronts will be a project and my car will be out of commission in the mean time.

ubernewb

• Archived User
« Reply #139 on: May 09, 2008, 08:03:00 PM »

damn.. i usually just cut the plugs off and solder the wires together.. haha

ubernewb

• Archived User
« Reply #140 on: May 13, 2008, 02:30:00 AM »

i love that it took you a year and change to come up with that reply... hahaha

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2008, 11:01:00 AM »

I don't even think it's the same person I was talking to originally either...  huh.gif

Mini Status update:
Over the weekend I installed some new rear speakers, Apline type Rs... the install was pretty painless but I modified my amp bypass harness to run fresh wires to the speakers so I wouldn't have to do any splicing.

I have type R components for the front but with the Nissan being my only car right now I'm a bit apprehensive about installing them worried that if I run into any roadblocks I'll have to drive around with the project half finished. (same goes for installing the Digital Climate Control system).

I've got some 4 piston 30mm Aluminium calipers from a 300zx sitting around so I bought a brake painting kit for those... so over this week I'll be cleaning those up and painting them, getting ready to put them on the car... Again I probably wont install them until I have another car to drive...

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #142 on: May 27, 2008, 01:59:00 PM »

I sold the red car over the weekend...  biggrin.gif

but I've already got my eyes on a new one...
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

If I do get it I'll still keep my black S14... I'll just have 2

o The Drizzle o

• Archived User
« Reply #143 on: June 26, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »

anything in the last month to report?

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »

wow never seen a convertible before, but automatic=no thx

and for drifting im sure you will have issues with the rigidity of the frame.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #145 on: June 30, 2008, 07:48:00 AM »

QUOTE(lostboyz @ Jun 26 2008, 10:07 PM) View Post

wow never seen a convertible before, but automatic=no thx

and for drifting im sure you will have issues with the rigidity of the frame.

Convertible were only sold as an automatic... even in Japan (of which they only made 600 of them). Any 240 vert that has a stick shift was converted after the fact...

honestly it's not all that hard to convert the transmission in these cars ~$600 or $700 worth of parts and an afternoon worth of labor between two sets of hands.

The vert is horrible for drifting but not because of lack of rigidity, it has crazy amounts of extra bracing and is actually the stiffest version of the s13 chassis... it does weight close to 3000lbs and with the hydrolics for the top in the back the weight distribution is nearly 50/50... good weight distro is BAD for drifting.

I have ZERO interest in drifting anyway.

This car has unfortunately dissappeared from craigslist (though it expired so maybe it didn't sell and I can email the owner and still buy it  laugh.gif ) I decided not to buy a VERT until I replaced my Tacoma...  I just hope there is a vert around to buy at that point.

-----------------------------------

Project update...

lets see in the last month I....

1.bought a brake paining kit with the intent to paint my 300zx brakes but never got around to it

2. My drivers window moves and rattles when partially option so I tore open the drivers side door to fix it only to find that I couldn't get to the problematic bolt without tearing apart the whole window mechanism (and didn't have time to do that)

3. attempted to install my new front component speakers only to find that the wires run along the TOP of the dashboard meaning I'll have to pull out the whole dash to place the X-overs (not a problem since it will make it easier to install the digital climate control system as well... I just don't have the time with this being my only car)

4. Bought a Nismo Power Brace (it goes between the subframe and the bracing under the radiator and has suspension parts attached to it) and decided to get some new Tension Rods before I install it (since I'll have to remove them anyway) and I'm still researching tension rod options.

5.Bought a set of Strut tower braces from TC Sportline only to find that the front brace doesn't even come close to fitting properly since it hits the brake master cylinder on the drivers side and a cruise control cable bracket on the passengers side:
http://www.web-nine....ics/fstbdsf.jpg
http://www.web-nine....ics/fstbdst.jpg
http://www.web-nine....pics/fstbps.jpg

I'm calling them today to get this thing replaced with one that fits or my money back

6. Bought some urethane exhaust hangers since my 3" exhaust on the squishy factory rubber hangers rattles against my sway bar on cold days... popped in the urethane hangers and so far so good (not really worth taking a picture or posting about this though... at least I got SOMETHING done laugh.gif

..... So that's where I am

I also have on order
-JDM Silvia Power folding mirrors
-JDM Kouki rear spoiler
-Kouki sideskirts
-some spare trim pieces so I can paint my center console
-shock and springs (though I might just resell these since I got them so cheap and it's not exactly what I want)

A picture... so fresh and so clean ...
IPB Image

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #146 on: August 25, 2008, 07:17:00 AM »

I haven't had much time to work on my car, since I'm using it as my daily driver until I get the Vehicross fixed up and I've just been swamped with other work.

Anyway, I had to replace the tension rod bushings up front to pass state inspection (since the old ones were cracked) and I used the opportunity to install a Nismo Power Brace up front...

I'm kicking myself for not taking any pictures and it's not something I can do after the fact since it's completely covered up now that it's installed...  if you're really interested you can see what it looks like here: http://zilvia.net/f/...ce-install.html

my car has a plastic shield on the underside of the engine bay which is why you can't see it.

----------------

In addition to that I had some free time over the weekend so I installed a TCSportline rear Strut Tower Brace. I think it looks pretty cool  and it really improved the stiffness of the rear end, feels like I put in new shocks.

It passed right through the carpet so rather than cutting a big hole I just put two slits in the carpet to feed the bracket through, made it a really clean install.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #147 on: August 26, 2008, 10:45:00 PM »

Coming Soon...

IPB Image

Yes, that is an LS1. Yes, it came out of a Corvette. Yes, it is going in my 240.  muhaha.gif

Infamous Ob

• Archived User
« Reply #148 on: August 27, 2008, 01:20:00 AM »

Oh my god!!! LS1 in a S14?? That's going to be SICK AS HELL!

Dano2k0

• Archived User
« Reply #149 on: August 27, 2008, 07:24:00 AM »

Good luck with that transplant TS, if its anything like some of the conversions go that we have done then you'll probably run into something along the lines of every other part you try to fit doesn't fit and requires custom fabrication lol.

Keep a look out in my thread for my transplant too, probably will be cracking on with it within a month or so.

Should be a fast 240 by the time youve got that engine in, any plans for tunning mods on it aswell?

Oh and are you fitting it yourself?

Cheers beerchug.gif
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15