xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Okay, I've Finally Had Enough  (Read 572 times)

ubernewb

• Archived User
Okay, I've Finally Had Enough
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 03:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(rms2001 @ Apr 12 2007, 05:34 AM) View Post

Speaking of such things, whats up with all the ricers? Since domestics are out, why not look to the east? Buy German. They will out last any thing the Japanese will ever build. Plenty of Jettas out there. Quick, handle great, and better on fuel than the ricers too. Get a diesel VW and run BioDiesel in it, you can make it for like 90¢ per-gallon.

wow.. you again?

when was the last time you saw a german-made car with over 300k? uhm.. never? get off your domestic fan-boy japanese-hater kick and be realistic... the japanese make the longest lasting cars out there.. it's called evolving technology, just accept it and move on.

coldasice

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 04:47:00 PM »

I've worked in an auto shop for a while. I have seen at least 5 Mercedes go over 300K. This thread is starting to turn ito a war. So heres my input on what car you should get. European cars are nice, they handle well, and dependability varies from brand to brand. My girlfriend right now has a Volvo, and I love driving the thing. Parts are a bit more than your usual car. But at the same time its only been minor stuff. The thing is built like a tank. Although the one thing I would be extremely concerned about in European cars is the wiring/electronics. Its THE WORST system ever set up.

As far as your imports go. I like subarus but they are a pain with the boxer engines. Accords are slightly more expensive than a civic, but I think its deffinatly worth the money. Toyotas are pretty good in my mind as well. I am still super weary of the Hyundi brand. Not enough consistent improvement for my liking.

Just shop around and keep an eye peeled. Don't jump on the first thing you see. I shopped for about 2 months before I decided to get my girlfriend her car. Its a very good idea to bring the car into a shop and get the thing checked over very thouroughly. Might cost you a few bucks but its worth the piece of mind. Good luck!

EDIT: Grammer

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »

Fuck all the VW fan boyism. I've yet to see a reliable VW. And i know plenty of people with em. It's like a cult of guys with under powered cars with all the "quirks". Cant run these plugs. Need this coolant. Wiring wont last 100k. Ummm yeah.....

BTW, I thought they stopped selling Diesel V-Dubs in the states. Seems like a coworker wanted one and they said they were discontinued.

Sorry to be overly argumentative. I'm like that sometimes. But be wary of partsd costs on any car you consider. Some of the reliable European rides cost a small fortune to repair when something does go wrong. There's enough in my family that Ive seen how stupid expensive some trivial part can be.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2007, 12:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(coldasice @ Apr 13 2007, 11:54 PM) View Post

I've worked in an auto shop for a while. I have seen at least 5 Mercedes go over 300K. This thread is starting to turn ito a war. So heres my input on what car you should get. European cars are nice, they handle well, and dependability varies from brand to brand. My girlfriend right now has a Volvo, and I love driving the thing. Parts are a bit more than your usual car. But at the same time its only been minor stuff. The thing is built like a tank. Although the one thing I would be extremely concerned about in European cars is the wiring/electronics. Its THE WORST system ever set up.

As far as your imports go. I like subarus but they are a pain with the boxer engines. Accords are slightly more expensive than a civic, but I think its deffinatly worth the money. Toyotas are pretty good in my mind as well. I am still super weary of the Hyundi brand. Not enough consistent improvement for my liking.

Just shop around and keep an eye peeled. Don't jump on the first thing you see. I shopped for about 2 months before I decided to get my girlfriend her car. Its a very good idea to bring the car into a shop and get the thing checked over very thouroughly. Might cost you a few bucks but its worth the piece of mind. Good luck!

EDIT: Grammer

Yup, every vehicle I look at buying goes through a two stage screening process before I even make an offer.  1. Vin number run with Carfax.  2. My Mechanic goes over the car with a fine tooth comb.  

My conclusions are about the same as yours.  I haven't given up on that Silver SE-R Spec V, but I'm not set on it either.  I am looking at a 2000 Toyota Celica GT right now with 68K miles, it is only $6K so I need to find out some more info on it, there is also an '01 Camry I am looking at.  

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2007, 10:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ Apr 14 2007, 07:36 AM) View Post

Yup, every vehicle I look at buying goes through a two stage screening process before I even make an offer.  1. Vin number run with Carfax.  2. My Mechanic goes over the car with a fine tooth comb.  .

Best policy to use right there. A decent mechanic can save you from buying something youll regret.

ubernewb

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2007, 08:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ Apr 13 2007, 11:36 PM) View Post

Sorry, wasn't trying to turn this into a flame war.  It just irritates me that RMS2001 keeps trying to make everyone believe that domestic 4x4s and European cars are the only cars worth buying regardless of what the person is looking for.  To say nothing of the fact that he keeps writing off all Japanese vehicles as "ricers."

i think he has some kind of message board filter or something.. turns things like

...i'm looking for a reliable car with decent gas mileage, something that will last for years without any major issues...

into...

... i'm looking for an short-lived clunker who will cost me a fortune in either gas or minor repairs/upkeep. i also enjoy only being able to hang onto these cars for a couple years max before the repair/upkeep costs have far exceeded the original purchase price of the vehicle..

i'm not sure where one would obtain such a filter, but i suppose you can find anything on google nowadays..

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2007, 12:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(Rylinkus @ Apr 14 2007, 05:34 PM) View Post

Best policy to use right there. A decent mechanic can save you from buying something youll regret.

Yup I am pretty damn picky about the vehicle history as well.  Anything that has been through more than a fender bender (even if it has been completely repaired) is automatically deleted from my list as is ANY vehicle that has been to an auto auction.  Been to several of those and most of them are simply outlets for dealer junk (stuff that they couldn't sell on the lots).  

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2007, 02:05:00 PM »

CURSE MY ROTTEN FUCKING LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!  Found a 1995 Toyota Avalon yesterday, one owner, never been auctioned or wrecked, clean title.  Get this, UNDER 60K MILES!!!!!!!  Asking price of $8K and I FUCKING MISSED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  IT WAS SOLD BY THE TIME I CALLED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rms2001

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2007, 06:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ Apr 13 2007, 01:25 AM) View Post

Uh yeah, and you are smoking what?  The late model VWs have been plagued with problems.  Had a co-worker that had an '05 Passat that was purchased brand new and it had a major electical malfunction within 6 months after it was purchased.  About the only VWs that I have heard decent things about (as far as the late models go) are the Golfs.  In addition, I don't care what vehicle you purchase or how reliable it is supposed to be, sooner or later they all need parts, and the german vehicles have parts which are horribly expensive (at least in my area anyways).  I came very close to purchasing a Saab with low miles but after reading reviews on that particular model and discovering the number of complaints about expensive parts, I backed off.  Bottom line is that a Toyota Camry will last just as long as the best made European care provided you take care of it.  Even though the SE-R is damn tempting and alot of fun to drive, I have been leaning more towards a corolla or camry simply because they are very durable vehicles if you give them a little TLC.

I have seen many Benz, BMWs and VWs go 300k + miles. I have also seen many Toyotas do the same as well. I’m not saying Toyota doesn’t build a great engine, b/c they do, They don’t build a good CAR. Their engines will run for ever while the car is falling apart.

I can go out and find bad reviews about any car makes and model. The same gos for the good. One bad review about Saab, one good review about the Camry, and bam, you pick Toyota. I bet I could probably go out and find some one who’s pissed up with their car sounding like a glorified sowing machines too.  

I dunno. I have only owned two Japanese imports. Both Toyotas more or less. A 2004 Tundra with a 4.7L V8. This truck was al right. Not the greatest, and not what I wanted, but I gave it a shot. Every thing about this truck felt cheap, expect the engine. The engine pushed the truck around nicely, and did a decent job of pulling a trailer. The other was a 1998 Lexus LS400. It’s a Lexus need I say more?

Never the less, I don’t think I will ever bring my self to buy another Japanese import until they stop making cheap cars. But thats what they do… build cheap economy through away cars. You buy a Camry to trade it in, in a few years. You buy a Benz to last ten years.

Given enough TLC, any care will last while. But most people don’t care about the drive they drive, they just drive it. And from what I’ve noticed, this is mostly Toyota and Nissan drivers. They buy the car and with in a few years its beat to hell, exhaust leaks and it burns more oil than gas. Ya, I see it with domestic cars too, but more so with cheap ass imports.

Hate me fine, I don’t care. But until the Japanese get off their ass, and can show my a REAL truck that can pull 20,000lbs all day long and put 300k on the clock, I’m staying with Dodge from now on.  Maybe if they also came out with cars they didn’t start to fall a part I’d reconsider them.

IPB Image

_iffy

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2007, 08:31:00 AM »

Any car will last forever if it's taken care of. My dad has a tbird that's pushing 400,000 km (248 500mi)

honda toyota are notorious for lasting a long time, but don't forget about repairs. Because civics and camerys are everywhere, repairs won't be as bad as a prelude, or a supra/celica.

You gotta look at whats on the road. Civics are the best selling car for a reason.

youloseagain

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2007, 11:02:00 AM »

I got a chevy Cavalier its pretty gangster. You should buy one never had any problems with it looks very similar to this...

IPB Image

same exact model/look except mine is black not silver.  I can get it up to 90-95mph on da freeway.

laugh.gif   laugh.gif   laugh.gif

CJLee89

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2007, 12:45:00 PM »

cavalier doesnt equal gangsta. however, a '85 cutless supreme on 24's does.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2007, 01:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(rms2001 @ Apr 18 2007, 01:32 AM) View Post

I have seen many Benz, BMWs and VWs go 300k + miles. I have also seen many Toyotas do the same as well. I’m not saying Toyota doesn’t build a great engine, b/c they do, They don’t build a good CAR. Their engines will run for ever while the car is falling apart.

I can go out and find bad reviews about any car makes and model. The same gos for the good. One bad review about Saab, one good review about the Camry, and bam, you pick Toyota. I bet I could probably go out and find some one who’s pissed up with their car sounding like a glorified sowing machines too.  

I dunno. I have only owned two Japanese imports. Both Toyotas more or less. A 2004 Tundra with a 4.7L V8. This truck was al right. Not the greatest, and not what I wanted, but I gave it a shot. Every thing about this truck felt cheap, expect the engine. The engine pushed the truck around nicely, and did a decent job of pulling a trailer. The other was a 1998 Lexus LS400. It’s a Lexus need I say more?

Never the less, I don’t think I will ever bring my self to buy another Japanese import until they stop making cheap cars. But thats what they do… build cheap economy through away cars. You buy a Camry to trade it in, in a few years. You buy a Benz to last ten years.

Given enough TLC, any care will last while. But most people don’t care about the drive they drive, they just drive it. And from what I’ve noticed, this is mostly Toyota and Nissan drivers. They buy the car and with in a few years its beat to hell, exhaust leaks and it burns more oil than gas. Ya, I see it with domestic cars too, but more so with cheap ass imports.

Hate me fine, I don’t care. But until the Japanese get off their ass, and can show my a REAL truck that can pull 20,000lbs all day long and put 300k on the clock, I’m staying with Dodge from now on.  Maybe if they also came out with cars they didn’t start to fall a part I’d reconsider them.

IPB Image

One bad review?  Try 7-8 bad reviews in a row complaining about how expensive parts were.  Not to mention my mechanic giving me a look of horror whenever I mentioned a European car and the first words out of their mouths were comments on how expensive parts were for those cars.  Once again man, your experiences contradict everything that I (and most of the other people here and elsewhere) have seen.  As has been mentioned above, every Mercedes that I have seen will run for quite a while but they are plagued with all sorts of problems that are horribly expensive to fix (notorious for electical problems among other things).  My ex's step father bought a Mercedes and it spent more time in the shop than her mom's oldsmobile Achieva (which isn't saying much since the Achieva isn't a very well built car).  On the other hand my brother has a '93 Corolla with well over 200K miles and the maintenance on it has been nominal (he bought it brand new for about $8-$9K and still owns it), very little required outside of routine maintenance.  I also had a buddy in college that had a BMW coupe (I believe it was the 318) and he spent all sorts of time working on it.  He replaced it with a '92 Eagle Talon TSI and spent about the same amount of time working on it (and money invested) but got a hell of alot more performance out of it.  That isn't saying much since the Eagle Talon (Mitsubishi Eclipse) are notorious for high maintenance.  As for your experience with imports, you keep going on about how they "feel" cheap instead of how they "were" cheap.  Your argument might have more credibility if you could describe how both vehicles were peices of crap and you had to go overboard with maintenance on them.  As for people holding on to European cars versus selling them and not so with the Japanese imports?  I find that argument pretty weak, because in all of the areas I have lived in, there tend to be about an equal percentage who get rid of their Japanese Imports as European imports.  Of course this is all proportionate since more people can afford Japanese vehicles to begin with, hence the reason I mentioned percentage.

rms2001

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2007, 10:34:00 AM »

Granted, the European parts are more expensive than others since they are just made better. They have to pay in Germany real money and not just a bowl of rice to get them to work. And I can point out a half dozen cars that have had electrical problems, including the Japanese imports.

Funny how you should bring up the Talon. My sister had a Plymouth Laser (1994 if I remember right) and its the exact same car as the Eagle Talon. I always called them the Japanese- Chryslers LOL. ZERO problems until it was rear ended by some dumb highschool punk in his Civic with a NOS sticker on the back window and a fart pipe under the car…

Okay, so you caught me. I guess I’m still looking at the Japanese like were 20 years ago, cheap crap. They have greatly improved over the years in every thing. To me, they still are not up to par with even the low end American cars. Every Japanese import I have driven (excluding the Lexus) have felt cheap in the way they build them.

The steering is sloppy and dose not fell tight.
They are underpowered, unless you feel the need to own a boost whore like the Supra or some thing.
They look goofy. Like some one came along and kicked them in the nose. Not all, but most of the current models at least.
And my biggest beef is most are front wheel drive. You talk about a car thats a bitch to work on? Try to do some thing as simple as changing the belt on one.

I’d rather have my big noisy rear wheel drive diesel truck than a simple little car. And that’s another thing, if a Japanese import hits my truck, you lose. I drive away while your car is loaded onto a rollback. You get hit with my truck (it weighs in at 7,500lbs) and you’re not going any place. And it still pulls 23MPG…

If I were to own any Japanese import, it would probably by a Mitsubishi. And the only reason that is since Mitsubishi is owned by DaimlerChrysler and I own stock in said company. This is why I also own a Dodge RAM and a Jeep.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2007, 09:24:00 PM »

Ah the truth comes out.  Just trying to boost stock.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4