xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Car Suggestions  (Read 202 times)

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Car Suggestions
« on: October 16, 2006, 07:24:00 PM »

My friend/ex GF is car shopping. Her budget is ~4k. (So no 7k cars here guys). Here's what she's looking for.
-Reliability
-Gas Mileage
-Drivable in winter. (No RWD or ragtops)
-No 2 Seaters. (So Ive eliminated Miatas in more than one way now.)

Thoughts. I was thinking
Corollas
Camrys
Civics
Accords
Sentras
Maximas
And anything else that may be a great deal that pops up.

We checked out a Corolla and it just felt small and cheap to me. I think in MY mind a Civic that was 97-98 would be a better option. Particularly if I could convince her she needs a 5 speed as I have a great deal of faith in Hondas 5 speed trannys. Camrys and Maximas seem a little out of price range depending on year/milage. I've yet to find a ATX Sentra locally and she does prefer ATX. (Lame) Got a few accords to look at. Thoughts guys? Newer Grand Am? Mazda 626 if it's new enough?

thewickedjester

• Archived User
Car Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 07:31:00 PM »

I'm gonna recomend a Saturn, cause the ones around here are decently priced and any that I've had experience with were bulletproof. I dont know about the awd/rwd thing, never occured to me to check. But thats my 2 cents, a Saturn.

Tripme

• Archived User
Car Suggestions
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 07:59:00 PM »

Civic all the way.  Just got a good deal on a 2000 civic not too long ago with 36000 miles.  36 mpg highway love.gif (Im a poor college student now so that makes me happy)

xboxhackern00b

• Archived User
Car Suggestions
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 08:22:00 PM »

my gf just got a saturn for 1300$ AMAZING deal it's a 99 SL2 i think with 100,000 ish miles on it i think but saturns are really good cars

leijae

• Archived User
Car Suggestions
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 01:39:00 PM »

i would suggest a sentra. i had one back in 97 and it was the bomb digity. the i assume that the tech involved to build one has only evolved to a better vehicle. you can probably get one for around $3k + TTL

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Car Suggestions
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 07:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(thewickedjester @ Oct 17 2006, 02:38 AM) View Post

I'm gonna recomend a Saturn, cause the ones around here are decently priced and any that I've had experience with were bulletproof. I dont know about the awd/rwd thing, never occured to me to check. But thats my 2 cents, a Saturn.

Absolutely not.  My SL2 certainly has had it's issues with Mechanical problems.  I concur with Rylinkus' decision.  An older and well maintained 5-speed civic would be her best option.  I have seriously considered replacing my SL2 with one.  Not to mention the Saturns are gutless vehicles. I'm not saying the civics are sports cars but at least you won't get run over by a semi when you try to pull out on the highway.  I have the DOHC 1.9L engine (which is supposed to be the big bad 4-banger as far as Saturns go) and it is unbelievable how weak it is.  My Parents' have a 2001 civic with a 1.7L engine (both the Saturn and the Honda have automatic trannys and are 100% stock) and the Honda can run circles around my Saturn and still gets about 5MPG better for gas.  Don't get me wrong, the Saturns aren't terrible cars but I find it hard to recommend one over a Honda.  

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Car Suggestions
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 09:49:00 AM »

Incidentally here is my review of my 1997 Saturn SL2:

http://www.epinions....nt_266311667332

Don't get me wrong, the car model itself isn't bad, but I do think that with that budget you could do better.

MarkRobbins

• Archived User
Car Suggestions
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 02:03:00 PM »

I honestly really like Saturn too.  Those cars are reliable, drivable and their customer service is great.  I think that she will do well with a Saturn and be able to stay in her budget too.

~ Mark @ XBox 360 Guide http://www.xbox-360-guide.com/ A Guide to XBox 360 Games, Consoles, & Accessories

Damaso

• Archived User
Car Suggestions
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 01:53:00 PM »

go with a civic, prelude, acura, or 94 mercedes. There all in your price range because those are the cars my bro was looking at on your kind of budget.

Chancer

• Archived User
Car Suggestions
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 02:11:00 PM »

Don't know what the supply and after sales supply of stuff is like in your part of the world so it maybe not practical but the best motor I have owned (and I have had 43 all told) is an Audi A4. Lexus IS200 came close.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Car Suggestions
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 12:29:00 PM »

No way she could afford an A4 here on that budget.  Audi A4=Luxury Car over here in the states.

rms2001

• Archived User
Car Suggestions
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 10:54:00 PM »

First off, why are you looking at imports? Why not look at domestic made cars? I’m not going to get into what makes the better, b/c that would just take to long. Never the less, find your self a Jeep. Depending on what you want you can get a good deal on any model.

I personally like Jeep Grand Cherokees. But as they normally fall into the ‘luxury’ category, that counts them out. How ever, the Wranglers do very very well in the snow, look awesome and you can find one pretty cheap. If you decide to take the Wrangler into consideration, look for a 1997 or newer (also known as the model TJ). Look for one with the 4.0L six cylinder engine, it gets good mileage

My two Grand Cherokees average about 20MPG, one has the 4.0L inline six, and the other has a 4.7L V8. Not bad for a vehicle that weighs in over 4000LBS. And plus, they are safe. You want your girlfriend to be safe right? Get her a Jeep so she’ll be safe and higher than all thought little ricer burners on the road.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Car Suggestions
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 11:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(rms2001 @ Nov 3 2006, 07:01 AM) View Post

First off, why are you looking at imports? Why not look at domestic made cars? I’m not going to get into what makes the better, b/c that would just take to long. Never the less, find your self a Jeep. Depending on what you want you can get a good deal on any model.

I personally like Jeep Grand Cherokees. But as they normally fall into the ‘luxury’ category, that counts them out. How ever, the Wranglers do very very well in the snow, look awesome and you can find one pretty cheap. If you decide to take the Wrangler into consideration, look for a 1997 or newer (also known as the model TJ). Look for one with the 4.0L six cylinder engine, it gets good mileage

My two Grand Cherokees average about 20MPG, one has the 4.0L inline six, and the other has a 4.7L V8. Not bad for a vehicle that weighs in over 4000LBS. And plus, they are safe. You want your girlfriend to be safe right? Get her a Jeep so she’ll be safe and higher than all thought little ricer burners on the road.

Okay, that has got to be the dumbest logic I have ever heard.  If you take a look at the full description it says RELIABLE AND GOOD GAS MILEAGE!!!!!!!!!  Not to mention she only has $4K or less to spend.  20MPG hardly qualifies as good MPG (it is decent for what the vehicle is but it hardly compares with a 35-40MPG Honda/Acura) and the Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Cherokee are hardly reliable vehicles.  I have known enough people with both versions of the Jeep and their maintenance records to know that they are far from reliable.  They spend a hell of alot more time in the shop than your average Honda/Acura.  That and the odds of finding either in good condition/well maintained in her price range are slim to none.  As for being safe?  That's all relative.  Both the Cherokee and the Wrangler will do well in the snow but keep in mind that on really slick or icy roads it doesn't matter what you own, it is still gonna break away and it's a hell of alot easier to stop a 2200-2500lb vehicle than a 4000lb vehicle once it is in motion.  I get so sick and tired of people who assume that because they have a 4 wheel drive SUV that they are invulnerable.  I actually see more people with SUVs skidding off the highway and getting into wrecks than I do regular cars, simply because of the false sense of security they get from driving an SUV.  Sorry to flame here but I can't believe that anyone with half a brain would say such things given the criteria that Rylinkus has given here.  

rms2001

• Archived User
Car Suggestions
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006, 12:55:00 AM »

If the people you know bought Jeeps in decent condition and did the required service on them as need, they would have no problems. My first Jeep was a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee my parents bought brand new off the lot. It now has over 220K miles on it, and nothing major has happened to it.

Other do doing typical service, replacing batteries and tires on it only the fuel pump, alternator and CPS have gone out. All of that was after 200K. Not many ricers will make it to 200k, and if they do, they are running on three of their four cylinders and sound like glorified sowing machines.

And in all honestly, 20MPG isn’t that bad. Ya so it doesn’t get 32MPG, but if you want some thing better than that, get a decent car that will get that, say like a VW Jetta TDI that gets 45+MPG. Having an SUV won’t break the bank at the pump. An extra $10 to full up isn’t going to breakup you either.

And as for the people thinking just b/c they have an SUV they think they are invincible? That’s like me saying any one who drives a ricer must be a little highschool shit and thinks just b/c he has a NOS sticker in his back window his car is fast. I know how to drive in snow, I know how to handle my Jeep, and I’d prefer having four wheels push me though the snow than two.

You seem to know nothing of Jeeps, or demotic cars in general. And it sounds as though you don’t know jack about four wheel drive vehicles either. So tell your parents you want a little ricer Toyota when you graduate. When you get a rear car, or become ASE certified come back and talk to me about cars. Until them shut the hell up.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Car Suggestions
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2006, 09:40:00 AM »

You are correct I don't know a thing about domestic cars and I do drive a riced out vehicle.  rolleyes.gif  If you bothered to take a look a few lines up you would see EXACTLY what I drive.  The fact of the mater is that given the kind of criteria Rylinkus listed, a Jeep would not be a wise investment:

$4K budget
Reliable
Good Gas Mileage
No RWD or RagTop
No 2 Seaters
Driveable in Winter

Sorry but you aren't going to find a reliable Jeep for $4K or less (not unless you come across some crazy deal).  No Ragtop kinda rules out the Wrangler unless she gets finds one with a hardtop (which usually cost more).  

Now see if he had said that she was looking for an off-road vehicle or an SUV then I agree that the Jeep Cherokee would be a good choice, but when you come on here basically saying that imports are worthless (given the criteria he has listed), I really have to question your logic.  The fact of the matter is that outside of bad weather driving (lots of snow), the import vehicles mentioned above will easily meet these criteria and I don't care what you say there is no vehicle that is invulnerable if the weather gets bad enough.  That being said an import vehicle with good tires and FWD will do a decent job if the driver knows what they are doing.  So it's not a question of Jeeps being worthless POS vehicles, it's a question of what vehicle will best meet her criteria.
Pages: [1] 2