xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: I Need A Little Help...  (Read 91 times)

DaBeast77

• Recovered User
I Need A Little Help...
« on: September 19, 2006, 06:43:00 PM »

If you care, here's my back story: http://forums.xbox-s...p;#entry3641987

Right now, the only thing preventing my girlfriend from moving back here is transportation. She doesn't have a lot to spend, but she isn't too bad off either... Right now, i think she has about 11000 in the bank. She got her licence taken away about 8 months ago and just got it back around 2 months ago because of a wreckless driving ticket, so insurance might be a little harsh on her... I don't know how much of that she's willing to spend ecause she's gonna need money for other things when she gets down here (all she's gonna e paying for right now is food though, because for the time being she'll be staying with me) atleast until she gets a job. She's 18 years old.

Now here's the question... with her limitations, what would be a decent car (low insurance, gas mileage, maintanance, reliable)? She doesn't need a new car, but she doesn't want anything too old. She doesn't mind getting a loan to help pay for it, but if she does, what should she expect as far as financing goes? I'm young too, so i really don't have much experience on the subject. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

killerbootsman

• Archived User
I Need A Little Help...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 06:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(DaBeast77 @ Sep 19 2006, 06:50 PM) View Post
If you care, here's my back story: http://forums.xbox-s...p;#entry3641987

Right now, the only thing preventing my girlfriend from moving back here is transportation. She doesn't have a lot to spend, but she isn't too bad off either... Right now, i think she has about 11000 in the bank. She got her licence taken away about 8 months ago and just got it back around 2 months ago because of a wreckless driving ticket, so insurance might be a little harsh on her... I don't know how much of that she's willing to spend ecause she's gonna need money for other things when she gets down here (all she's gonna e paying for right now is food though, because for the time being she'll be staying with me) atleast until she gets a job. She's 18 years old.

Now here's the question... with her limitations, what would be a decent car (low insurance, gas mileage, maintanance, reliable)? She doesn't need a new car, but she doesn't want anything too old. She doesn't mind getting a loan to help pay for it, but if she does, what should she expect as far as financing goes? I'm young too, so i really don't have much experience on the subject. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

greyhound bus

DaBeast77

• Recovered User
I Need A Little Help...
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 06:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(killerbootsman @ Sep 20 2006, 01:55 AM) View Post

greyhound bus

dry.gif  anyone else?

VampX

• Archived User
I Need A Little Help...
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 06:00:00 AM »

QUOTE(DaBeast77 @ Sep 20 2006, 02:57 AM) View Post

dry.gif  anyone else?

Yeah.. GREYHOUND BUS.

seriously whats wrong with the bus? its not like she'd be taking it more then one time.

a little sacrifice never heard anyone.

unless she doesnt love you enough to withstand THE HORROR that is a bus.  dry.gif

cr4ck3rj4ck

• Archived User
I Need A Little Help...
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 06:26:00 AM »

Since I drive 40 miles round-trip to work everyday I have 2 cars; one for work, and a Mustang GT for play.

For my work car I bought a used 1998 Saturn that had just over 59000 miles on it for $5000. This has been the most reliable car I have ever owned, and it has never let me down despite numerous extensive road trips.

Do your research, and find something thats older (maybe late 90s) that preferably has been owned by an elderly individual, as most of them never put miles on their cars.

My car is slow, but it gets damn good gas mileage. If I want speed, I drive the Mustang. I'm sure there are plenty of other good cars out there, but I can tell you from experience that at nearly 100,000 miles, my Saturn has been a great car that requires little money.

thewickedjester

• Archived User
I Need A Little Help...
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 07:43:00 AM »

I'll vouch for Saturns as well, my mom had one a stick, wasnt fast but still fun to drive. But that sucker ran forever. By the time she sold it, it had just under 275,000 miles on it, no major repairs aside from somethign going wrong with the A/C...

On the other hand, you could (most people dont like em, but just my 2 cents) go check out an old Caprice or something. Look at the 9C1 package (the police package) hell even buy a decomisioned cop car. They had an LT1 setup similar to the Impala, and I know my Impala gets like 25 MPG, which for a car that big, is pretty damn good. Looks good on insurance to, big beefy 4 door car? I'm 17 and the insurance is like 1/3 what it would have been if I got the Camaro I was looking at originally.

DaBeast77

• Recovered User
I Need A Little Help...
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 12:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(VampX @ Sep 20 2006, 01:07 PM) View Post

Yeah.. GREYHOUND BUS.

seriously whats wrong with the bus? its not like she'd be taking it more then one time.

a little sacrifice never heard anyone.

unless she doesnt love you enough to withstand THE HORROR that is a bus.  dry.gif

She lives in Florida, i'm in virginia... she needs transportation when she gets here for work and everything...

cr4ck3rj4ck

• Archived User
I Need A Little Help...
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 12:26:00 PM »

Those older impalas have a high theft rate, besides, they are *huge* cars, and I doubt she would need that kind of a car for basic transportation.

Whatever she gets, I would not go over ~$5000. that way she can have some in the bank in case an emergency arises... and believe me they do.

I'm pretty good with car shopping, so feel free to PM me if you want me to help out.

thewickedjester

• Archived User
I Need A Little Help...
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 08:32:00 PM »

I was suggesting a decomisioned cop car. Not neccissarily an Impala. I like the safety of a big car hehe, I bet I win if I crash into a Civic tongue.gif

Just my 2 cents, you can get a old Caprice 9C1 for less than 3k from what I've seen. Go check auto auctions and such as well.

cr4ck3rj4ck

• Archived User
I Need A Little Help...
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 05:02:00 AM »

...decomisioned cop car...

If you saw how these cars were treated during their term as police cars, you'd never want one wink.gif.

thewickedjester

• Archived User
I Need A Little Help...
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2006, 07:55:00 AM »

QUOTE(cr4ck3rj4ck @ Sep 21 2006, 07:09 AM) View Post

If you saw how these cars were treated during their term as police cars, you'd never want one wink.gif.

Dont know about the cops in your area, but around me they were treated like gold. Ones that were wrecked were repaired very well, if they couldnt be, they were scrapped. Seriously, I envy'd the local police stations auto shop, 3 lifts, and everything from full tool racks to tire balancers and rotor turning machines.

But this is getting asinine, it was just a suggestion, best of luck finding a car for your girlfreind, I'll go back and say that Saturns arent the fastest or flash-iest but are certainly decent runners and last a while.

DaBeast77

• Recovered User
I Need A Little Help...
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 12:39:00 PM »

Thanks for the advice guys, i'm looking around for a decent saturn or honda...

Hoppy

• Archived User
I Need A Little Help...
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2006, 04:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(cr4ck3rj4ck @ Sep 20 2006, 08:33 AM) View Post

Since I drive 40 miles round-trip to work everyday I have 2 cars; one for work, and a Mustang GT for play.

For my work car I bought a used 1998 Saturn that had just over 59000 miles on it for $5000. This has been the most reliable car I have ever owned, and it has never let me down despite numerous extensive road trips.

Do your research, and find something thats older (maybe late 90s) that preferably has been owned by an elderly individual, as most of them never put miles on their cars.

My car is slow, but it gets damn good gas mileage. If I want speed, I drive the Mustang. I'm sure there are plenty of other good cars out there, but I can tell you from experience that at nearly 100,000 miles, my Saturn has been a great car that requires little money.

I'll vouch for the Saturns.  I don't drive mine as much now because I now work close enough to home that I can walk to work, but when I first bought it, I was doing 100 miles round trip, 5 times a week to work.  It had 46,000 on it and I never had any problems with it during those 8 months of hell I put it through.