xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Looking At A Bike  (Read 102 times)

thewickedjester

• Archived User
Looking At A Bike
« on: July 16, 2006, 06:19:00 PM »

Alright, I've been loosely looking for a bike for a while now, but I'm finnaly in the position financially where I can acctually be able to get one. Tommorow I'm going to look at a '99 Suzuki GSX-R (I was looking for something a bit newer, but the price is just to right, its 4,000 for a bike with a few mild mods and never dropped or laid down).

But this just occured to me, although I have a good deal of experience riding street bikes (Harleys and Crotch Rockets) as well as dirt bikes.... I really dont know what I should be asking...? Any ideas? I mean, some of the obvious ones, has it ever been dropped/laid down? How often was the oil changed? Etc etc. But can anyone think of something  else?

Thanks

iwinulose

• Archived User
Looking At A Bike
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 07:59:00 PM »

ask if any stunts were ever done on the bike, wats the fastest hes gone on the bike, any mech. problems the bike has had, stuff like that, also make sure that he was the only person who rode it cuz if he lent it out 2 a friend he wont have a clue wat that friend could have done (such as gone 140 down the highway)

hope that helps somewhat

thewickedjester

• Archived User
Looking At A Bike
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 08:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(iwinulose @ Jul 16 2006, 10:06 PM) View Post

ask if any stunts were ever done on the bike, wats the fastest hes gone on the bike, any mech. problems the bike has had, stuff like that, also make sure that he was the only person who rode it cuz if he lent it out 2 a friend he wont have a clue wat that friend could have done (such as gone 140 down the highway)

hope that helps somewhat

Right, he claims to have baby-ed the bike the whole time, and the pictures sure seem it. Says its never been laid down, but I'll deffinetly be srue to pressure him about stuff like that. Thanks smile.gif

Also, I'm in need of a bit of advice. I'm 17, and my mom in no way wants me to get a bike. Now, I could go the route of just giving a bit f-you to her and just buy a bike. And the only reason I am even considering doing that is because she is so unreasonable. She does not even listen to anything I have to say, its just "no, no bike, I'd never allow it if possible". I'd be a bit more understanding if she heard everything I had to say (because most of her 'fears' I share and am trying to convey to her that, for instance, I dont want to ride down the freeway and high traffic areas) and then said "Yeah, those are very good poitns, but I just couldtn allow it, I'm sorry".

Well, all in all, what do you guys think I should do? Say "Sorry mom, I did it anyways" and hope she forgives me? Or wait a while until I'm 18 and do it because I legally can and hope she forgives me :S  Thats another issue... she'd never allow it, so what does a few months difference make? (Wether I'm 18 or 17)

lostboyz

• Archived User
Looking At A Bike
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 05:49:00 AM »

Man, if you looked back I want one as well, Im 20 and as of a month or two ago financially independent (kinda) Im paying for my house, my school, and everything. My mom still dosent want me to get a bike, its rediculous, everyday now she tells me about someone who has died in a motorcycle accident or something like that, its just getting annoying. So what Im going to do is get residancy/emmancipated and get my own insurance and all that. Because even if you go ahead and buy it, its kind of hard to get an automotive insurance policy by yourself when your 17. So......i think your stuck for a little bit

thewickedjester

• Archived User
Looking At A Bike
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 08:52:00 AM »

I've got the insurance and all that worked out. I think I'm going to consider buying (I never even told her I was buying, just saying I had a bike I'm going to look at...), the thing is that (sounds like the same thign with your mom as well) she has already said that she'll never condone it etc etc. And anyways, she said last night when I talked to her on the phone that in the end, it was up to me. Alright, fair game, same as saying its ok in my book...

lostboyz

• Archived User
Looking At A Bike
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 10:12:00 AM »

your a lucky man

basically theres just certain things that If I did I wouldve gotten kicked out, like a tattoo, bought a motorcycle

so in honor of moving out Im considering both of those.  biggrin.gif

thewickedjester

• Archived User
Looking At A Bike
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 11:03:00 AM »

Well, I just attack it from the right angle. Besides, my biological mom lives in Arizona (I'm in Colorado) so I'd like to see her stop me! tongue.gif

On second thought... she probably would... heh. Oh well, i'm still just looking. Thanks for the advice/help/etc.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Looking At A Bike
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 05:08:00 PM »

If youre still looking at bikes play it the other way. Try to get them to tell you what cool stunt it can do as though you hope it can. If you're looking for a fast sportbike to do wheelies on Im sure the owner would be more then happy to let you know how well it handles @ 120 mph or how easy it is to pull a wheelie. Also, dropping the bike from a wheelie is a damn nice cause of leaky fork seals. If theyve been replaced a few times it's probably a damn good indication that it's been on one wheel a few times. But check fork seals anyway. Bounce the front end to compress the suspension. The suspension shouldnt get wet from shock oil. If it does it most likely needs new seals. maybe 15 bucks in parts and 80 bucks in labor depending on where you go. Check brakes for any damage to the rotors. Even slight wear on parts requires service on a bike. This isn't a car. Everything needs to be in tip top shape. And even if it is the bikes worth book value. No more. Ever. Start at book value and start going down. Slightly high mileage, take 500 off. Needs a front tire? Thats gonna cost at least 130 for anything even vaguely decent. So take 150-200 off. A scrape? Needs to be repainted.... You get the idea.

Remember that a lot of people dont maintain bikes until they simply stop running. Meaning they may need chains, brakes, fork seals, valve adjustment, etc, and still run relatively ok. And be unsafe as hell to ride all the while.

thewickedjester

• Archived User
Looking At A Bike
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 09:17:00 PM »

Thats a really good idea Rylinkus. Though I went and saw this bike, and the guy pointed out all the things you said to look for (and how they werent there). The bike really was babbied for the entire time hes owned it. And its damn nice. I made him an offer, I think he'll accept it, for $3750 out the door, and I get all the stock parts with it to. Only downside is I have to wait till Thursday before I can go get it because hes busy tommorow and I'm busy Wensday... oh well, I just hope he takes it. And then hope he doesnt sell it out from under me...

At any rate, if that doesnt work I'm going to finance a '05 GSX-R from a dealership thats by me, its a nice bike and I'm going to try and get them to throw a bunch of stuff in (as the bike is currently priced at about $750 over book value, so I asked for $250 off and LOTS of stuff to go with it, so if this bike falls through, I'm getting this '05)

thewickedjester

• Archived User
Looking At A Bike
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 09:29:00 PM »

Hmm, after looking at financing and such insurance would kill me (3 grand a year, almost as much as the bike itself) so financing is a no go. I'd have to pony up the cash all up front. I'm going to look at another '99 GSX-R tommorow, looks good so far, fuel injected to, I hate carbeurators >.<

And I'll try what you said Rylinkus, thats a good idea (playing it the other way around). As well thanks for the advice on the front fork seals, I never would have thought of that, but passed over 5 bikes today on eBay, all said "Just replaced fork seals".

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Looking At A Bike
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 05:00:00 AM »

QUOTE(thewickedjester @ Jul 19 2006, 04:36 AM) View Post

Hmm, after looking at financing and such insurance would kill me (3 grand a year, almost as much as the bike itself) so financing is a no go. I'd have to pony up the cash all up front. I'm going to look at another '99 GSX-R tommorow, looks good so far, fuel injected to, I hate carbeurators >.<

And I'll try what you said Rylinkus, thats a good idea (playing it the other way around). As well thanks for the advice on the front fork seals, I never would have thought of that, but passed over 5 bikes today on eBay, all said "Just replaced fork seals".

I thought 99's were carbed and that 00 was the first year of fuel injection on the GSX-R? Could be wrong, but that's just what I seem to remember.

thewickedjester

• Archived User
Looking At A Bike
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 08:47:00 AM »

Says its fuel injected, I'll find out when I go and see it.

I beleive that they made two models, a regular and a SRAD. The regular was the fuel injected one and the SRAD was a ram air type carbeurated model.

Not positive though... kind of assuming because all the GSX-R's till '00 (when they redid the bike and went to a new frame and body style) that were SRAD's were all carburated, and the ones that arent have been fuel injected, could be wrong though.

Perplexer

• Recovered User
Looking At A Bike
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 10:46:00 AM »

Here's an excellent write-up, I used much of it when buying both my bikes.
Used Motorcycle Buying Guide

Consider where you're located as well.  I always wanted a bike, but I lived in Miami, and riding there, with traffic, construction, and asshole drivers, is practically a death wish.  So I looked around, and waited until I moved to North Carolina, before I bought my first ride...

thewickedjester

• Archived User
Looking At A Bike
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 02:44:00 PM »

Yeah, I live in Denver, and traffic is nuts in downtown. I'm buying the bike mainly because I live on the outskirts of Denver (one of the incorperated cities) and traffics relatively light here. So its a way to get to work, to college, as well mountain riding will be fun as hell...

Speaking of which, I'm going to buy the bike I looked at tonight. $3000 for a '99 Suzuki GSX-R. The guy was a bit younger, but he never did any stunts with it (I did what you said Rylinkus and also checked the front fork seals). It runs good, but has high miles. I'm not worried though as my grandfather is a Suzuki dealer (for their outboard marine engines) and if I need to get some parts I can.

I'll try and get some pics of it up tommorow.

Thanks for your advice everyone!

thewickedjester

• Archived User
Looking At A Bike
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 12:14:00 PM »

Ahh, finnaly got the bike registered and such, my left hand hurts from jocky-ing the clutch now... at least its something else making it hurt this time  blink.gif

IPB Image
IPB Image

750 CC's, and about as much (if not more) horsepower than a Geo Metro! Fast as hell, I love this bike  love.gif
Pages: [1] 2