xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone Built A Sub Enclosure?  (Read 68 times)

Silentscream__

• Archived User
Anyone Built A Sub Enclosure?
« on: March 10, 2006, 02:31:00 PM »

Im half way through building a custom sub enclosure for my car, and just wondered if anyone here had attempted it before.

The plan is to have it finshed off with a blue neon lit inside, the subs reverse mounted, and charcoal carpet on the outside.

Im half way through right now, I still have a top window to cut and a lot of painting to do on the inside but I thought I would show you all my progress:

IPB Image

Im also planning to sink my amp into the floor of the boot (trunk to the americans) and cover it with clear plexi, again lit with blue LEDs.

I will post up some pics of the completed install hopefully by the end on the month

any thoughts?

xboxhackern00b

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 03:34:00 PM »

looks nice what kind of wood are you using?

Silentscream__

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 04:05:00 AM »

9mm Plywood, I couldnt find any MDF to work with or I wouldv been using that.

Silentscream__

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 01:37:00 PM »

Half finished the carpet job:

IPB Image

IPB Image

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 02:37:00 AM »

I hate to say it but regaurdless of how thick that plywood is, it is NEVER going to sound as good as 3/4" (or thicker) MDF.  It's a shame too because you have done alot of good work on that box.  I built a couple of boxes before, but I always use at least 3/4" MDF.

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 02:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ Mar 14 2006, 09:44 AM) View Post

I hate to say it but regaurdless of how thick that plywood is, it is NEVER going to sound as good as 3/4" (or thicker) MDF.  It's a shame too because you have done alot of good work on that box.  I built a couple of boxes before, but I always use at least 3/4" MDF.

if you use acoustic carpet it will sound fine smile.gif

as far as im concerned wood is wood because unless youve sat down and calculated the exact volume of air required it wont sound optimum anyway. i never really bother tongue.gif

this looks good mate should sound beefy.

whiteblazer01

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 01:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(grim_d @ Mar 14 2006, 01:50 AM) View Post

as far as im concerned wood is wood because unless youve sat down and calculated the exact volume of air required it wont sound optimum anyway. i never really bother tongue.gif

As far as I'm concerned, if you're going to spend all that time building it, why not do it right?  But then again, I'm just another custom installer.....  

Silent, keep up the good work!  I would like to contribute my many years of experience, and suggest that you double check all the seams for leaks.  It is hard to put to pieces of plexiglas together and not have any leaks (and have it look nice).  

Keep us informed of your progress!  biggrin.gif

ubernewb

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 02:32:00 AM »

so i'm gonna take a stab in the dark here and say this is 3/8" ply? looks a bit thin there bud. also, those frosted looking pieces on the lower part of the sub enclosure, how thick are those? they look alot like flourescent light diffusers to me, and i know those things are barely an 1/8" thick. please tell me that i'm guessing wrong here.

my reasoning so as not to sound like a prick:

3/8 plywood will resonate like a son of a b from the air pressure of the subs. the sound can be pretty damn annoying.. if it is 3/8", i suggest doubling it up to stengthen it .. OR .. bracing it from the inside.

as for the plexi comment, same thing.. has to do with the pressure. if it really is 1/8" stuff, it will most likely crack from the air pressure. the stuff isn't very sturdy (unless it's lexan, but i've never seen lexan like that) and cracks easily. i mean shit, i use 1/4" minimum just for windows over amp racks.. for a window in a box it'd be either 1/2" or 3/4" depending on the size of the window.

anyways, best of luck to ya.. i hope it turns out well and gives you the sound you're after. i'm also curious as to how you're gonna finish off the upper section..

beerchug.gif

Silentscream__

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 02:26:00 PM »

Thanks for the tips there, yep I did a bit of reading before I started and I have braced the parts from the inside, and the wood is pretty thick, think it should hold.

All the joints have been sealed with the stuff that goes around baths/showers/sinks to stop any leaks.

The carpet is actually on top of a layer of dynamat (not dynamat actually, a cheap alternative) and the plaxi was the thickesy they had in the shop.

Box should be finished by the end of the week, Il post up and let you know how it sounds.

This is actually a project I am doing for my AS level at college so the resources I have are quite limited.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 03:25:00 AM »

QUOTE(ubernewb @ Mar 15 2006, 10:39 AM) View Post

so i'm gonna take a stab in the dark here and say this is 3/8" ply? looks a bit thin there bud. also, those frosted looking pieces on the lower part of the sub enclosure, how thick are those? they look alot like flourescent light diffusers to me, and i know those things are barely an 1/8" thick. please tell me that i'm guessing wrong here.
my reasoning so as not to sound like a prick:

3/8 plywood will resonate like a son of a b from the air pressure of the subs. the sound can be pretty damn annoying.. if it is 3/8", i suggest doubling it up to stengthen it .. OR .. bracing it from the inside.

as for the plexi comment, same thing.. has to do with the pressure. if it really is 1/8" stuff, it will most likely crack from the air pressure. the stuff isn't very sturdy (unless it's lexan, but i've never seen lexan like that) and cracks easily. i mean shit, i use 1/4" minimum just for windows over amp racks.. for a window in a box it'd be either 1/2" or 3/4" depending on the size of the window.
anyways, best of luck to ya.. i hope it turns out well and gives you the sound you're after. i'm also curious as to how you're gonna finish off the upper section..

beerchug.gif

Yup, that is what I was trying to point out.  I dunno, I guess it's just that when you can pick up a sheet of 3/4" inch MDF at your local hardware store for less than $25 with tax, it just seems like such a waste to use plywood especially since you are doing a bandpass enclosure as it is going to rattle like splintered wood each time the subs hit.  I guess it is just me but if I were cutting costs, the wood would be the last thing that I would cut costs on.  It would also eliminate the need for that imitation dynamat stuff that you are using.  Once again, I am not knocking your work on it as you have done a hell of a job given the materials but IMHO somethings just aren't worth bothering with if you can't do it right the first time.  

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2006, 03:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(grim_d @ Mar 14 2006, 10:50 AM) View Post

if you use acoustic carpet it will sound fine smile.gif

this looks good mate should sound beefy.

That is 100% BS!!!!!!!!!!!  Put a set of subs in an enclosure made out of 3/4" inch particle board and then put the same type of subs in the same type of enclosure but have it made out of 3/4" MDF and rest assured there is a night and day difference.  MDF doesn't split/splinter anywhere near as easily as particle board.  Particle board just doesn't have the density to withstand the beating that a powerful pair of subs can dish out.  A sub is only as good as it's box.  I was just pointing out that the price difference between a sheet of 3/4" plywood and a sheet of 3/4" MDF has a price differential of about $8-$9USD, which IMHO is a very small price to pay for the sound difference.  I'll tell you what man, you won't find anyone running a competition sound system (and winning) with a box made out of particle board.    

Silentscream__

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2006, 08:45:00 AM »

At my college, plywood is free, MDF has to be paid for (who knows why), my car insurance is costing me £2500. I earn £150 a week working part time.

Simple explanation for the choice of material.

If it does sound really bad of course Im going to have to build a new one from scratch, but for now this is what Im impressing the examiners with.

Chances are they wont know too much about car audio and I should pass.  smile.gif

Anyway thaks for the tips and advice, chances are that when I get to the point of upgrading the subs, (the subs I have now are cheapo kenwoods because I was on a budget) I will replace the box aswell.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2006, 01:35:00 PM »

Fair enough.  Didn't realize that you got the wood for free.  Chances are though that you will want a new enclosure once you get the money.

whiteblazer01

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2006, 02:15:00 PM »

Well hey, this is a great way to practice building a box!  If the wood is free, go nuts!  Once you perfect a design, if you feel like it, you can buy some MDF, and make a very nice box, quickly, and well built!  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

Silentscream__

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 09:33:00 AM »

Progress:

Removed some carpet from around the edge to fit the window in 'smoked blue acrylic.
Ditched the original smaller window idea of a two piece front and settled for a non-etched plain blue single piece window.

IPB Image

Took the window off again to place stickybacked foam/rubber airtight stuff below the edges of the window.

IPB Image

Tonight im doing another trip to halfords for second roll of carpet and a set of big chromed machine screws to hold the window on.

biggrin.gif
Pages: [1] 2