xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Nissian Skylines Banned In North America?  (Read 175 times)

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Nissian Skylines Banned In North America?
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2006, 11:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(amps @ Apr 13 2006, 05:22 PM) View Post

Old story......
Motorex owner jailed, R32 and R34 legalization rescinded
Monday, March 13, 2006
Posted by: AZhitman
According to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, the owner of Motorex, Nanahoshi Hiroaki, 33, was arrested Thursday and booked into the L.A. County Jail. He is being held on $1 Million bail.
Hiroaki's initial appearance is scheduled for Wednesday of this week.

Hiroaki and Motorex came to the recognition of Nissan enthusiasts in the US as they became the only Registered Importer legally authorized to legalize Skylines for US use. As Motorex was able to comply with stringent US crash-testing requirements, they petitioned the courts to protect their interest in the Skyline market by "locking out" other would-be importers from the list of necessary modifications.

Not only did this give Motorex a corner on the market for legal Skylines, it also allowed them to command a premium price for each legalized car. Motorex-prepped Skylines can fetch upwards of $50,000. While making loads of money, Motorex also made loads of enemies.

According to sources, the lease to the Motorex facility has been overdue for months, and is now locked out by the landlord.

The US Department of Transportation has offically rescinded importation eligibility for both the R32 and R34 Skylines, only 96-98 R33 Skylines are still eligible to be imported.
I'm sure everybody here has read this .pdf also
http://dmses.dot.gov...2/69793_web.pdf

I drive a 300zx so I frequent this other forum that I got my above information from...
http://www.300zxclub...ghlight=skyline

Nothing old about that.  It is going to make the R32/R34 values shoot through the roof though.  Only R33s can legally be imported now?  DAMN that sucks.  R32 GTRs still are my favorite.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2006, 03:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(Potato_salad @ Apr 13 2006, 04:38 PM) View Post

You chnged your sig, I can't... tongue.gif

HIS sig. As in the poster whom you were asking about. As in the Camaro in my sig..... wink.gif

Potato_salad

• Archived User
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2006, 03:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(Rylinkus @ Apr 13 2006, 10:28 PM) View Post

HIS sig. As in the poster whom you were asking about. As in the Camaro in my sig..... wink.gif

Sorry! blink.gif    ...When is the skyline GTR comin out?

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2006, 03:50:00 PM »

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2006, 07:04:00 PM »

lame sauce that car sucked in PGR3 compared to its predecessor

Owtlaw333

• Archived User
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2006, 12:23:00 AM »

QUOTE(lostboyz @ Apr 13 2006, 08:22 AM) View Post

watch the episode of top gear for the bougatti, its an engineering project by VW to see if they could do it, they arent making 50 a year because it costs them 2mil for each one and they sell them for about 800k. And good luck insuring it  tongue.gif

Obvioulsy an old story. Yes, it started out as a project initiated by the CEO of VW. And they know they won't turn a profit. They've sold 45 so far and plan to stop producing them once they hit the 300 mark. And they sell for $1.2mil, not $800,000. Maybe an MSRP of $800k. The Enzo had an MSRP of $600k, but all sold for around $1mil.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2006, 03:02:00 AM »

Not at all.  They do sell them for $800K. . . .with the steering wheel as an optional extra.   laugh.gif

Owtlaw333

• Archived User
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2006, 11:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ Apr 14 2006, 12:09 AM) View Post

Not at all.  They do sell them for $800K. . . .with the steering wheel as an optional extra.   laugh.gif

Oh yeah, that's right.... the infamous $400k steering wheels. I remember hearing about those! tongue.gif

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2006, 03:01:00 AM »

Sorry it's an old joke my buddies and I used to make about really expensive exotic cars.  The point being that you could get the car for a slightly less rediculous price if you didn't mind having it stripped to the bone for features, hence "steering wheel optional"

Owtlaw333

• Archived User
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2006, 03:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ Apr 15 2006, 12:08 AM) View Post

Sorry it's an old joke my buddies and I used to make about really expensive exotic cars.  The point being that you could get the car for a slightly less rediculous price if you didn't mind having it stripped to the bone for features, hence "steering wheel optional"

Well I'm sure you can get that Enzo that ended up scattered about PCH for pretty cheap now, haha.
(Dunno if you heard about it... happened a month or so ago... An Enzo was racing a McLaren SLR (which also belonged to him and turned out to be stolen from the UK) on PCH in LA. The Enzo lost control and shattered into pieces leaving only the cockpit intact and the driver was ok. He was also drunk (well over the legal limit). The driver then said he wasn't driving it and that a "German man" was driving it and ran off after the crash, haha. The SLR also left the seen but was later found.)

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2006, 07:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ Apr 13 2006, 01:25 PM) View Post

Nothing old about that.  It is going to make the R32/R34 values shoot through the roof though.

if they had the legalization rescinded wouldn't that make the previously legalized skylines illegal now? i'm no lawyer, but i would imagine for the current owners they will be grandfathered by the legalization when they purchased it but it would lose its street legal status if they sold it. like i said, no idea if thats how it would work, but thats how i would interprate it

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2008, 07:20:00 AM »

Bumping a topic over 2 years old to add to a discussion that is mostly irrelevant... oni.dori, you do have quite a bit of actual fact, however you also have quite a bit of unfounded information (credentials aside).

First and foremost... the laws in Canada are completely different than those in the US, the OP is buying the car in Canada so any crap about US law is completely irrelevant.

Anyone interested in Skylines in the USA can look here:
http://www.nicoclub....-import-1.shtml

It covers everything from the history to the legalities and the current status of Skylines as imported vehicles.

Some new advances have come out recently too:
http://forums.nicocl...rothread/339207

And there is a company that has legalized the chassis but not the engines and you can buy them from him as a kit car:
http://www.edmunds.c...rticleId=105699

Anyone interested in importing a Skyline for racing purposes can look here:
http://www.nhtsa.gov...cing/Index.html

There's nothing more to discuss
THREAD CLOSED...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]