xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Test Drove A '95 Z-28 Today. First Impressions  (Read 219 times)

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Test Drove A '95 Z-28 Today. First Impressions
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2005, 03:30:00 PM »

Yeah, that is what I thought.  Someone told me that you could get the V-8 in the RS if it was special ordered that way (didn't sound right to me).  The RS for those years ('94-'97)was a 3.6 or 3.8 Liter V-6.  IMHO not worth owning a camero unless you are getting a V-8.  Plenty of better options for a V-6.  You are right that the SS' are horribly overpriced/valued.  They are intended to be collectors editions.  The regular 6 speed Z-28 is exactly what I am looking for since it seems to be the best comprimise for my needs (power and gas mileage).

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2005, 03:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(Capon-E @ Sep 18 2005, 04:54 AM)
cool.gif

thesideinguy

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2005, 08:33:00 PM »

sounds like the engin could use a complete over haule.

and the roters are probly warped because this car has been dogged hard.
thats probly why the enjein is leaking every were also. wouldnt be surprized if the pistons were on the verge of cracking.

mrright01

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2005, 09:55:00 PM »

ok, here's my .02

6spd z28 is what you want, get ttops because convert's are insurance killers, and hard tops look like shit IMO. i'd get a pre96 because i think that's the year they got obd2(or something like that) it's a huge PITA from what i've heard. i wouldn't get a 93, they had some problems when i was looking at fourth gen fbody's back in 2000. i got a 94, and have only had one problem with it, the cam position sensors went bad, it seems they are right under the water pump, so when that leaks, you have to replace those. i was told that they have magnetic sensors that tell the ignition system where the cams are and that's how the plugs fire. makes sense to me so i'll go with that. to fix these the dealer replaced all sorts of parts till they found the problem. 3 grand later i was back on the road.

otherwise, great car, i miss it. it would make a bad day fade away with a quick fishtail. and also invest in a valentine radar detector :-P

happy hunting

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2005, 04:16:00 AM »

QUOTE(mrright01 @ Oct 1 2005, 06:06 AM)
ok, here's my .02

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2005, 07:20:00 AM »

Optispark. Cant remembe5 what year they started using the vented ones, but worth finding out. And going that yuear or later if you can.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2005, 11:33:00 AM »

QUOTE(Rylinkus @ Oct 1 2005, 03:31 PM)
Optispark. Cant remembe5 what year they started using the vented ones, but worth finding out. And going that yuear or later if you can.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2005, 03:39:00 PM »

Yeah, they put em right below the water pump. (Way to go GM engineers) So of course one slow dripping leak in your water pump that wouldnt be a big deal kills the damn thing and you end up with no spark. They vented em in 95 I believe making them dry out faster, hence prolonging their life. The most likely part of th car to go. So asking about that and the waterpump, If theyre replaced or not would be a good idea probably. At least that way you know.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2005, 08:18:00 PM »

Got a funny addition to this thread.  The other dealer finally got off their arse and got their '95 Z-28 up and running.  I was prepared for the stiff clutch this time and I seem to be more comfortable with it.  Anyways, I took it out for a testdrive tonight and on my way back to the dealer the car started to shudder.  The guage indicated that it was low on gas but it certainly wasn't empty.  So I kept going and the car lurched more and more and finally died.  So I had to call the dealer and my GF and another guy helped push the car out of the major road that we were on.  The guy who came out to help us missed us the first couple times around and I had to chase him down and get his attention.  He dumped a bunch of gas into the car and sure enough the car fired right up (so much for the accuracy of the gas gauge).  Anyways, so I get back to the dealer and of course he wants to make the sale right then and there and I tell him I am not doing a thing until my mechanic checks it out.  Anyways, then he tells me the dealer wants $9K for this SOB.  I gave him a funny look and he quickly added, but we are flexible.  The car is a '95 Z-28 with T-Tops and 6 speed tranny.  It is bright red (YUCK!!!).  The car's passenger side mirror shakes more than a crack whore.  It looks like there is a little bit of rust on the engine.  In addition I took a look at the car several months back before it was ready to be shown and the following needed to be fixed:  The right passenger mirror, The E-brake, the check engine light, the rear rocker panel was damaged.  Anyways it looks like they fixed these things but the point it that this car is no where near worth 9K.  I already told him I could get easily get one for 7K (the one listed at the begining of this thread) and that made him think a bit.  Anyways, we shall see what the mechanic finds tomorrow.  Either way it was an interesting night.

mrright01

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2005, 09:17:00 PM »

yeah, i forgot about that, my 94's gas gauge is wrong too, i always wanted to fix it, but didn't want to break anything, so i just left it alone and filled it up at a half a tank. and my e-brake has always been way too stiff, it wouldnt' even stay up it was so tight, so i just left it in gear 99% of the time

good luck
keep us posted

Psykomantis00

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2005, 09:34:00 PM »

smile.gif

Or know any 2nd gen's for sale anywhere?

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2005, 09:41:00 PM »

My Z was in better shape then that, less mile on engine, and I got it for less.

Find book value on it and tear down from there. Book minus what it would take to fix everything wrong is where you need to be. If they don't like it have them fix all the issues with it. Winters coming. The cars harder to sell mid winter. (Granted you may live somewhere where this doesn't hold true) I could find one in better shape EASILY for 2k less then that locally. (5Kish)

The gas gauges on these cars suck. But I'd get an estimate on what a dealer would charge to replace one and subtract that from book value as well. Dealer cars are supposed to be damn near pristine. If not they shouldnt be asking 9k for that. If you were closer theres been some very solid buys on some around here.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2005, 09:43:00 PM »

Anyway to put a mechanical gauge in one of these rather than the electrical ones?  I heard that the mechanical ones are more reliable.  Yeah, BTW Rylinkus my area is probably one of the worst areas to buy cars in.  The market here is terrible.  I agree that the car is no where near in pristine condition.  It is in decent condition but certainly not pristine.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2005, 09:47:00 PM »

Where are you located dude?

http://www.unclehenr.....0#-2137341911

Just a local one I found. Not bad for what it is.

A guy I knows ad....

"teal 95 Z28, LT1, automatic, 150k miles, i had it on campus 2nd semester last year, ive got it listed for sale down in mass, tryin to get $3000 for it."

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2005, 09:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(Psykomantis00 @ Oct 12 2005, 05:45 AM)
Wanna sell me your RX7 when you buy a new car? smile.gif
Pages: 1 [2] 3