xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Help With My Truck  (Read 68 times)

thewickedjester

• Archived User
Help With My Truck
« on: June 06, 2005, 12:29:00 PM »

ok, technical question. i rebuit my 86 Sierra's engine, put it back in, and went to start it, it turns over, but it does so VERY slowly and there is no way to get it started as slowly as it cranks. i know the battery is charged (although im recharging it for good measure). and im pretty sure the starter is good because, well, it does turn over.

heres my main problem: there is a grounding strap (the one that grounds out the entire motor and with it the starter, ect). this strap is connected to the frame right next to where the grounding strap for the battery is. when i try to start it, after a while, this strap starts to smoke and get VERY VERY hot. it isnt supposed to do this. if i remove the strap the engine wont turn over, the starter solenoid just clicks a lot.

any ideas? i want my truck back dammit

Code-Red

• Archived User
Help With My Truck
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 01:00:00 PM »

Well your first problem is the fact that there should not be any power whatsoever going through the grounds and/or frame. Possibly some of your live wiring was stripped of the shieth (sp?), and is touching the frame.

It doesnt make sense..... because the way you describe it would make me think that your ground strap is live.

thewickedjester

• Archived User
Help With My Truck
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 08:31:00 AM »

i had acctually thought of this, so i checked the ground strap with a voltmeter, nothing. its a very cheap grounding 'strap' and i need to get a heavier gauge wire for it. but i mainly think its a bad starter