xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 3 Days Ago I Owned The Car Of My Dreams....  (Read 133 times)

Rylinkus

• Archived User
3 Days Ago I Owned The Car Of My Dreams....
« on: September 22, 2004, 08:54:00 PM »

It's really amazing what amuses you. I found the Sprint looking for a throttle cable mount for my Probe. While wandering the junkyard hoping some other Mazda used the same part I found it. And 3 days later I bought it. At the time the 175 bucks was a lot. But it was a 1 liter, 3 cylinder, cool seated beast. And it had this light on the dash that lit up the word "turbo" when boost hit positive pressure. (Way cooler than ANY boost gauge IMO.) I owned it for almost 2 years. In that time I changed the oil, swapped fuel pumps, added a CAI, and broke and replaced the rear axle. I never really needed it. It was a novelty at best.

That being said.....
At the same time my good bud bought a '03 Z06. We took it out to a local car meet and it was my car that got all the aclaim. Anyone can buy a Vette. It takes shear luck to find a marvel like a 1 liter engine that runs a 1/4 in under 16 seconds. I couldn't help but love it.

Last week....
I bought the brake parts to fix my seized caliper. They would be the last parts I ever purchased for my car. Once I lifted it to pull the tire I realized the body had rotted through. Rust that was not cosmetic, but structural rust on a unibody car.

Sunday....
The car was picked up. To be hauled away. Forever. No longer mine.

Today....
It's been 3 days. I can't describe what it's like to own a sub 200 dollar car and still be so attached to it. The Probe is faster, handles better, has a better stereo, looks better, is more comfortable, and has more of my blood and sweat in it than anything I've ever been a part of. And I'd gladly give it up to have my Sprint. Because it was so very different and a engineering marvel. Almost an outcast, like I've been at times.

So.....
After 3 days of searching the net for other 87 Chevy Sprint turbos, Ive decided it's time, once again, to expand my collection. I don't know what I want, but the PGT has just become my winter car. It's not fast enough to be anything else. It's suspension is being redone to raise it and cope with winters here better. And Im buying a REAL sports car. Thinking Supra or RX7 or Vette. Thoughts???? I hope by mid next week I have something new to play with and make me feel a bit better about selling the most unique possession I've ever owned. We shall see.

EvilWays

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 01:04:00 AM »

How about a Pontiac Firefly Turbo? It's the same car (both are rebadged Suzuki Swifts)...or better, look for a Suzuki Swift GT(i) (was only referred to as GTi in '89 because VW sued Suzuki for the use of GTi, and became just GT afterwards for '90 and '91). Comes with a 1.3L 4-cyl DOHC engine, and if it's a G13B block, it's all set to just strap on a turbo and go (the GT(i) came with either a G13A or G13B block...the difference being that the G13B used forged crank and pistons while the G13A used cast crank and pistons).

fishlord

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 01:32:00 AM »

What is your budget?

and if you want a novelty type speedy econobox... 323 gtx might be neat.

yaazz

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 05:29:00 PM »

that sucks man, I was jealous of that car, I really was

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 08:38:00 PM »

Trust me, I loved that stupid little thing. Anyone have any unique car suggestions. I don't wanna be lame and drive a Mustang like everyone else.

Though I MAY have found my next car. Details to come.

BTW, Fishlord, the 323 GTX is SOOO cool. Good call man. My fave rally car at the forest rally this year was a GTX.

eNatural

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 10:56:00 PM »

Sorry to hear it mean, neat little car.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2004, 02:21:00 AM »

QUOTE (Rylinkus @ Sep 23 2004, 04:57 AM)
It's really amazing what amuses you. I found the Sprint looking for a throttle cable mount for my Probe. While wandering the junkyard hoping some other Mazda used the same part I found it. And 3 days later I bought it. At the time the 175 bucks was a lot. But it was a 1 liter, 3 cylinder, cool seated beast. And it had this light on the dash that lit up the word "turbo" when boost hit positive pressure. (Way cooler than ANY boost gauge IMO.) I owned it for almost 2 years. In that time I changed the oil, swapped fuel pumps, added a CAI, and broke and replaced the rear axle. I never really needed it. It was a novelty at best.

That being said.....
At the same time my good bud bought a '03 Z06. We took it out to a local car meet and it was my car that got all the aclaim. Anyone can buy a Vette. It takes shear luck to find a marvel like a 1 liter engine that runs a 1/4 in under 16 seconds. I couldn't help but love it.

Last week....
I bought the brake parts to fix my seized caliper. They would be the last parts I ever purchased for my car. Once I lifted it to pull the tire I realized the body had rotted through. Rust that was not cosmetic, but structural rust on a unibody car.

Sunday....
The car was picked up. To be hauled away. Forever. No longer mine.

Today....
It's been 3 days. I can't describe what it's like to own a sub 200 dollar car and still be so attached to it. The Probe is faster, handles better, has a better stereo, looks better, is more comfortable, and has more of my blood and sweat in it than anything I've ever been a part of. And I'd gladly give it up to have my Sprint. Because it was so very different and a engineering marvel. Almost an outcast, like I've been at times.

So.....
After 3 days of searching the net for other 87 Chevy Sprint turbos, Ive decided it's time, once again, to expand my collection. I don't know what I want, but the PGT has just become my winter car. It's not fast enough to be anything else. It's suspension is being redone to raise it and cope with winters here better. And Im buying a REAL sports car. Thinking Supra or RX7 or Vette. Thoughts???? I hope by mid next week I have something new to play with and make me feel a bit better about selling the most unique possession I've ever owned. We shall see.

Don't get me wrong, I like Vette's but everyone and their dog seems to own one.  If you could pick up a 3rd Generation RX-7 or a 4th Generation Supra then that would stand out a bit more as having something unique.  The RX-7 will definitely give you the most HP for the money of those 3 cars.  The turbo rotary engines certainly are not the most reliable engines on the road but you are well aware of that and pretty much any car you are going to do power upgrades to is going to be high maintenence.  I love the Supra but the TT Supras are just too damned expensive for their own good.  You could almost buy a gently used R32 Skyline (U.S. Street Legal) for their price.   The TT 3rd Generation RX-7 will run you under $20K in great condition, the other two will definitely not.  You could get a non-turbo Supra in that price range but it is quite the task to convert a non-turbo car to turbo, vs. upgrading a car that is already turbo-charged.  That and the Supra will be a little bit harder to get parts for (I know a guy at work and he says finding upgrade parts at reasonable prices is quite a chore for his Supra).

fishlord

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2004, 10:07:00 PM »

or you could get

88-90 (or is it 91) m3
turbo3 k car (reliant was the one they put it in i think)

those would both be cool too.

Mr. Chips

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2004, 05:12:00 PM »

I don't wanna be lame and drive a Mustang like everyone else.

trust me, although there is many mustangs on the road right now,
at least it's not one of those cheap-ass Sunfires.
Good lord, I can't drive to the mall without seeing 30 of them ohmy.gif

and here's a personal opinion (not hating on Celicas, I love them)
...let's not forget those cheap-asses who get Celica GT's.  They won't even spring for the ever-so-nice GTS!
My brother has a 2003 Celica GTS TRD (only come in one color Carbon blue, and its an 03 because they didnt make the TRD for 04)
It's reaaaaaaaaally nice.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2004, 05:19:00 PM »

QUOTE (Mr. Chips @ Sep 28 2004, 01:15 AM)
trust me, although there is many mustangs on the road right now,
at least it's not one of those cheap-ass Sunfires.
Good lord, I can't drive to the mall without seeing 30 of them ohmy.gif

and here's a personal opinion (not hating on Celicas, I love them)
...let's not forget those cheap-asses who get Celica GT's.  They won't even spring for the ever-so-nice GTS!
My brother has a 2003 Celica GTS TRD (only come in one color Carbon blue, and its an 03 because they didnt make the TRD for 04)
It's reaaaaaaaaally nice.

I will agree there but I want something far more rare. I've also read some articles in various mags, (Car and Driver being the most recent one I remember) in which there were various issues dealing with the Celica's reliability that would steer me from it. Granted on the way home from work I MAY have found my next new car of the week. A Red Toyota Corolla GTS with the Twin Cam engine. (Just like the Trueno in my sig.) I'm gonna check on it tomorrow.

Mr. Chips

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2004, 02:04:00 PM »

Well, that Toyota sounds nice, but you may want to take a peak at the RX7 you mentioned first.  Those things go like stank!
...But it would have to be a good one, because, who knows how to fix em?
My next car will probably be a 95 Precidia V6 (as soon as one shows up around here for a decent price)

But for now I've still got that 91 EGT I showed you.  I'll keep that for a while.  it needs body work.

Do you like Eagle Talons?  they are twin cam. For what I have seen, they are very unreliable and parts are $$$.  I won't even touch them.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2004, 04:20:00 PM »

That is because Eagle Talons are just re-badged Mitsubishi Eclipses. wink.gif  Mitsubishis are great for cheap power but one of the worst for overall durability.  I have seen 4 year-old mitsubishis putting smoke out of their exhaust in the middle of summer.  @Rylinkus, I almost picked up one of those "sporty" Carollas a few years back.  Definitely a nifty car. wink.gif

fishlord

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2004, 06:43:00 PM »

What is the standard engine swap into those for drifting?

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2004, 09:17:00 PM »

QUOTE (fishlord @ Sep 29 2004, 02:46 AM)
What is the standard engine swap into those for drifting?

Into what?

fishlord

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2004, 12:03:00 AM »

ae86
Pages: [1] 2