xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Economy Cars  (Read 67 times)

lebriznon

• Archived User
Economy Cars
« on: July 31, 2004, 07:09:00 PM »

our family's looking to replace our '87 honda accord, and we're looking at the following:
Honda civic sedan, mazda 3 sedan, toyota corolla.

Can anyone suggest one over the others and why?  They are all similarly priced, but the mazda3 has more standard features, and stands out more IMO (e.g. rear disc brakes, 2.0L engine as opposed to 1.6, etc.).  However, i've never liked mazda's.
i read in some CNN article that for 2004, the corolla is the best economy car (its performance and comfort isnt far from the camry)  with the mazda being a second.

or does anyone have a different suggestion?  Needs to be priced similarly to those though.  The only thing we wont buy is an american car, such as anything from Ford or GM.  had bad experiences with them.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Economy Cars
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 01:48:00 AM »

The only thing I might add to that list would be a Subaru Legacy sedan.  I really don't care much for Hondas anymore.  During the 1980s and early 1990s they made very solid economy cars.  However during the mid 90s I have noticed that their reliability has taken a bit of a dive.  My GF has a '95 Civic that has spent more time in the shop these last two years than my '88 RX-7.  The transmissions also seem to fail a little bit sooner than they should. The Mazda would be my first choice with Toyota following a close second.  The 4 cylinder Mazda engines of late have been outstanding and all in all they are pretty well put together machines.  As I said, either the Mazda3 or the Toyota Corolla get my vote but I would definitely lean towards the Mazda as you will get a little bit more for your money.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Economy Cars
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 06:29:00 PM »

The 3 is a nice looking car, but the engine has yet to be a tried and true engine. Actually none of it has. The Focus with the PZEV engine would likely be more reliable. Mazda engine in a car thats had a few years to come into it's own.

The Corolla and Civic are BOTH very well built. They have been proven reliable year in and out and though I'm sure if you find the right person you can get a horror story or 2 about either of them, both are nice cars.

I don't like the Corolla's looks. I know if I were looking for a economy/commuter car, I'd be looking at the Focus, Mazda 3, (I'm a Mazda freak so would have to), Civic, and  Nissan    Altima and Sentra. Nissan has proven to be very reliable and has a very nice look, and I wouldn't shy away from them. I like the hatch versions of the Focus, 3 and Civic.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Economy Cars
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2004, 04:38:00 PM »

I read some ranking in a recent mag that placed infinity/nissan on the top of the list