xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: The Best Thing Avbout Pgts......  (Read 140 times)

Rylinkus

• Archived User
The Best Thing Avbout Pgts......
« on: July 11, 2004, 11:13:00 PM »

dry.gif         So it's time for another new battery from warranty and a new 3 year warranty starting....   Anyone have any ideas on a battery that can take some serious abuse, because this is getting reidiculous.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 11:20:00 PM »

You talking about a gel pack battery?  I don't suppose you have a Les Shwab tires in your area do you?  They have their own line of gel pack batteries that are a little bit cheaper than Optima and I have been running one for the last 4 years (Got it for my MX-3 and when it got wrecked I transferred it to the RX-7).  I have a soundsystem with a 400 watt amp hooked up to it and have run it with the power off for a couple of hours and never had an issue.  The one I am using runs about 700 cold cranking amps.  Anyways, the first one I got was defective but they replaced it shortly after I got it and this one has run strong for the last 4 years or so.

Perplexer

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 09:15:00 AM »

Not a battery, but it's red!
HERE

Need bigger?  They have 5-watt, 12-watt, and 15-watt available for cheap too.

I came back from a vacation once to find my battery completely dead.  So now I leave the $10 charger plugged in when I'm away, and never had a problem since.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 05:57:00 PM »

Part of me loves getting a new battery cuz it just wears out and knowing it'll NEVER last long enough to get out of warranty range.. But the other part of me hates walking home from work since my car won't start and is virtually unjumpable now.

Optima red top is a gel battery. Something like 100 bucks. And ive never heard of that place you mentioned, so i guess we dont have one.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 12:08:00 AM »

Yeah, when you mentioned Optima I was pretty sure that is what it was since they are the name brand battery for Gel Packs.  Anyways the store I mentioned is a smaller chain.  Which state are you located in?

BCfosheezy

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 03:29:00 PM »

I'm pretty sure that the red top battery is supposed to be charged constantly. If you are driving... shut the engine off and then play your stereo and then go in to work... this will kill that battery because it needs to be fully charged when Idle. That's why they make the yellow top battery. It's designed especially for that. Also, the blue top is the deep cycle battery. You could try that if you're pulling some serious amperage... but I doubt that you are.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 06:33:00 PM »

I only pull about 2000 watts with my stereo. That's really not that bad. And I never run my stereo with the car off. I think my issue is more from the ignition system, ECU upgrades, VRtuner and stuff to that effect coupled with the stereo. A better alternator may be a better solution. I really dont know.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 06:53:00 PM »

I know that for soundsystems pushing that must power they have something like a cap which is supposed to help out with that (Can't remember exactly what it is called).

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004, 07:26:00 PM »

I have 2 alpine amps powering my Subs and rear mids. I also have a 1 farad cap, which helps with bass hits and prevents headlight dimming. I'm a big car guy, but I went to school for electrical engineering so know a thing or 2 about that stuff too.

moistness

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2004, 01:27:00 PM »

wink.gif

UndercoverPunker

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2004, 11:43:00 PM »

don't get caps, they are a poor temporary fix to a bigger problem, I'm gonna agree with moistness that a higher amp alternator is what you need as well as a yellow top, and if that not enough, add another battery in the trunk for your system (I imagine that you don't want more weight, but sometimes you gotta)(but you probably won't need one)

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2004, 10:16:00 PM »

QUOTE (UndercoverPunker @ Jul 27 2004, 07:46 AM)
don't get caps, they are a poor temporary fix to a bigger problem, I'm gonna agree with moistness that a higher amp alternator is what you need as well as a yellow top, and if that not enough, add another battery in the trunk for your system (I imagine that you don't want more weight, but sometimes you gotta)(but you probably won't need one)

If weight were really a consideration, I'd probably have no subs and would have swapped my power leather for non power seats. (The seats alone would subtract 150+ lbs) I agree that an alternator is most likey my next upgrade aftera few needed repair. Broken motor mounts suck.....  dry.gif