xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Vw Dune Buggy  (Read 67 times)

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Vw Dune Buggy
« on: April 05, 2004, 09:26:00 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure on all the specs. But it's a 72 chassis with a 76 engine, or vice versa. Some sort of dune buggy conversion. Fiberglass body. The rear suspension isn't stock.
A friend of mine and I would like to fix it up. The goal being a Florida road trip come August. I guess I'm looking for common failings on the old VWs. Things to watch for. I know beetle parts should be pretty common. but I worry about the conversion. If something in the suspension needs replacing I'm concerned about availability. Price as well I suppose.

Here's what I know it needs after a quick lookover. (It was raining this day and cold so I only took about 5 minutes)
-Brakes all around. Everything. New lines included.
-Gas filler neck. Though we may replace the entire tank as the one in there doesn't look like it fits well.
-Windshield. It's entirely flat. Lexan probably.
-Interior seats. I don't care about rears too much and saved my 2 Probe fronts when I swapped em. They may be going in....
-Tires. (Maybe a more common sized rim to mount em too to save a bit of cash)
-Rag top needs to be redone. But we know a good guy for that
-Oh, and it's gonna need to be repainted. Cuz there's no way in hell me and another guy are driving around for a week in a bright purple convertible car.

The car's sat for almost a year now. It supposedly had 2 things wrong with it when it was set aside. The windshield and a short in the electrical that causes the battery to drain if it sits for a few hours. I'm gonna rewire the whole car. Not like there's much to it.

In the end there's prob better cars, but this car has ties to my buds mother who passed on and he asked for a hand. The frame looks solid as does the suspension. The engine and tranny were brand new replacements 2 years ago.

Thoughts anyone?

dedfrog

• Archived User
Vw Dune Buggy
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 07:05:00 PM »

so it's a bug thats been turned into a dune buggy that you are trying to turn BACK into a regular bug?, or is it a bug you are trying to make a dune buggy?

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Vw Dune Buggy
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 08:11:00 PM »

It's gonna stay a dune buggy. Road legal buggy, but dune buggy esc. Needs some work, but I've seen worse. Just looking for any info on them that I can get. Maybe common problems. Etc.

mike96sc2

• Archived User
Vw Dune Buggy
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 05:41:00 PM »

I can't stress this enough, replace the rubber fuel lines with braided steel, you'll thank me when the car isn't bursting into flames