xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: For The People Who Know Cars  (Read 198 times)

JuggaloZeke

• Archived User
For The People Who Know Cars
« on: March 18, 2004, 07:21:00 PM »

QUOTE (ojrman @ Apr 8 2003, 01:21 AM)
grr.gif i dont have a bizillion dallors here man!  not till my 600dallor week job starts

$600/wk? Jesus, where do you work, McDonalds? I make over $2500/wk in construction.  laugh.gif

On topic, go with the Firebird, clutches are expensive. Eclipses arent bad unless it has the body style with the "ribs," they look so bad.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 01:54:00 AM »

Eclipses, are fun cars, but about as unreliable as anything on the road. For anyone who dreams of taking a Talon TSI and converting it to a monster remember that the car's tranny and drivetrain were never intended to handle the added power. The gears in the transmission are soft and lead to them wearing out. The differentials are prone to blow if you drive it the way I would. And then you get into the nightmare of an engine. Electrical gremlins and that wonderful wonderful crankwalk. Crankwalk, at 40K, that's just plain wrong.

Hondas are overpriced at this point. Every kids thinks a Civic or Integra is a street racing machine. It's driven prices up and insurance prices. And also means that half the Hondas on the road are beat. Say what you will about reliability, but ANY car will meet an early demise if it's lived a life of abuse.

Like any car purchase be patient. Look around and you will find something decent for your money. Hell, I drive a car I paid 150 bucks for. I get great gas mileage, it's rare as hell, and it's getting quicker. This leaves me time to work on my other obsession.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2003, 07:31:00 PM »

What are you looking for? Reliability or just looks? From the sound of the trouble you have been having with your Saturn I wouldn't get either the Firebird or the Mitsubishi. Mitsubishis while being fun cars (especially the ones with twin turbos in them) like to burn oil after 100,000 miles and they like to smoke after only 4 or 5 years of use (might run you into early trouble with air emissions). The Firebird is made by Pontiac and if you take a look at the Consumer Reports list of "DO NOT BUY" cars You will find that the Pontiac label comes up more frequently then any other make. Not saying that either of these two are terrible cars but I am saying that there is a good chance you could opt out of one set of serious problems only to buy another.  For a car with looks and reliability for that price might I suggest a Toyota Celica. I know someone with a 1990 Celica GT that has 185,000 miles on it and the engine runs very smooth (No irregular idle which is common in older vehicles) and they have never had to make any major repairs on it. Sure the Firebird and Mitsubishi have more power but you can make additions to the Celica to fix that problem.

LunarEclipse

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2003, 08:18:00 PM »

I bought a 1986 Isuzu Impluse for $450.00 from a local jukyard. best car Ive ever had

staticFLINT

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2003, 08:39:00 PM »

get the eclipse...firebirds are ugly... ph34r.gif

MartialXboxArtist

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2003, 09:03:00 PM »

Get a Honda or Acura  beerchug.gif

ocojaa

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2003, 09:17:00 PM »

QUOTE (MartialXboxArtist @ Apr 8 2003, 12:03 AM)

I'm with him.

pkpss

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2003, 09:23:00 PM »

QUOTE (MartialXboxArtist @ Apr 7 2003, 09:03 PM)

Although I really wanted to (wouldv'e bought an RSX if they kept it looking more like the older Integ) I bought a 03 Corolla.  smile.gif

ocojaa

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2003, 09:29:00 PM »

QUOTE (ojrman @ Apr 8 2003, 12:21 AM)
grr.gif i dont have a bizillion dallors here man!  not till my 600dallor week job starts

You can get an older one (mid 90's) in good shape for your price range if you look around.

The Corollas used to be looked at as slow, or economy cars, and I know they still are compared to other cars, but they're getting much nicer as far as looks and performance goes.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2003, 11:40:00 PM »

Sorry you missed out on that deal with the Celica man. But let me tell you, you didn't miss a thing by not buying that Probe. The Probe lives up to it's name (Anal Probe that is). That car is also well known for having problems. Once again not all Ford Probes are bad cars but they tend to have more than there fair share of problems. You didn't miss a thing with that car. Unless you are getting some kind of killer warranty or a good trade in deal on your problematic Saturn through a dealership I would highly recommend going through an independent seller since you will always get more for your money from dealing with an individual. I can't believe the dealer is trying to charge nearly $5000 for that eclipse that has 160,000 miles and a clutch that needs replacing. That is utterly rediculous, The dealer probably gave the guy about $2,000 for the trade in on it. Then they vaccum the car out and detail it and slap a sticker that is more than twice what they picked it up for. I have had three cars so far and only one of which I picked up from a dealership and it was nearly one of the biggest mistakes of my life. After buying the car ('92 Mazda MX-3) 1. I discovered that the cars door locks badly needed to be replaced so automatically $150 down the drain. 2. The car looked a little funny in the front and I found out it had been previously wrecked and had a poor repair job done on it. 3. The paint started peeling shortly after I purchased it 4. I noticed the the 4th gear was grinding unusually so I took it in and it turns out the synchros are shot so I had a tranny that would need to be replaced in the next couple of years. 5. The year after I bought it, it failed air emissions horribly and needed an new ECU to fix the problem ($600 part). So amidst my despair I decided to sell the thing off for about $500 (since no one was going to give me anything more for it in it's current condition).  I originally paid $3,450 for it and purchased it out of state so I couldn't exactly return it very easily. Anyways I had just done a couple of minor adjustments to it and took it out for a spin when a spot of good luck hit me. . . quite literally. I stopped behind a truck that was delivering a load of mulch to a house and the guy didn't see me and backed up thereby rearanging the front end of my MX-3. He was fully covered (company insurance) and it was clearly his fault, and no one was hurt. Anyways to make a long story short the Piece of junk that I was going to sell off for $500 was bought off of me for $2,300 by the other guy's insurance company as they declared it a total loss.  I never thought I would be so happy to be in an accident. Anyway just keep that in mind with dealing with a dealership.

maximusg

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2003, 12:41:00 AM »

SSGet a new Holden SS 2003 model... the best car you will ever drive... The ute is better then the sedan aswel.

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

MeNaCe911

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2003, 01:53:00 AM »

get a honda bro...something like a civic or 97 accord...a firebird is a dead car unless its new like most sport american cars like a mustang...or like martial said acura...now their never cheap but something like a 98 integra or legend or a 2.3cl should run around ur price range. DONT GET A ECLIPSE those are sorry cars with a sorry engine so there u go...and if u have the money get a nissan any nissan is good....i prefer 350z or a maxima but its up 2 u

penguinofdoom564

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2003, 02:15:00 AM »

QUOTE (MeNaCe911 @ Apr 8 2003, 01:53 AM)
get a honda bro...something like a civic or 97 accord...a firebird is a dead car unless its new like most sport american cars like a mustang...or like martial said acura...now their never cheap but something like a 98 integra or legend or a 2.3cl should run around ur price range. DONT GET A ECLIPSE those are sorry cars with a sorry engine so there u go...and if u have the money get a nissan any nissan is good....i prefer 350z or a maxima but its up 2 u

well said, I totally agree. Honda's are great, i personally plan on buying a 2000 Honda Prelude....something about that car.

senator

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2003, 03:06:00 AM »

QUOTE (maximusg @ Apr 8 2003, 08:41 AM)
SSGet a new Holden SS 2003 model... the best car you will ever drive... The ute is better then the sedan aswel.

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

AHHH no don't bother. The Gen3 350 chev alloy engines in those puppies are well you could say lemons.. They have oiling problems
and will go through oil like fuel at not too many miles down the track also previously had cam bearing lubrication problems - fixed??? who knows??...If you want get the supercharged V6 haven't seen any dramas with them yet...But if your in US these puppies are rebadged with pontiac stickers and different front bumper etc, LOOKS tougher...For every 10 cars us ozzies send to the US they also send 3 replacement engines...
  I personally like nissans and the holdens, But a Nissan Skyline  GT-R would be a nice edition to the garage...RB26DETT, 4WD you know the rest...These babies got band from bathurst (big racing event) here in OZ back in the 90's coz they were unstoppable, they had weight restrictions, turbo restrictions etc. and they still kicked arse..So they got banned..
But I don't know about you guys but over here although Hondas are reasonably reliable they are fuckin expensive to fix when they do shit...But I suppose most new car's are pretty pricey to repair nowadays... blink.gif

AdmStng

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2003, 03:16:00 AM »

grr.gif

spend the extra $2K and get a TA !!!! would you buy a 4 cyclender vette? no, you wouldn't grr.gif

muhaha.gif
Pages: [1] 2