xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Need A Cheap Deck  (Read 117 times)

xboxhackern00b

• Archived User
Need A Cheap Deck
« on: May 02, 2006, 08:31:00 PM »

im looking for a cheap deck nothing fancy just reliable something to get by with since i cant stand the ancient tape player stereo i have anyone got some suggestions?

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Need A Cheap Deck
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 08:40:00 PM »

Don't know if you can get one for $100 but if you don't need anything with a bunch of features you should be able to get a JVC for about that price.  Great sound quality for the price.  Here is one that is just over $100.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/Pr...ProductID=15754

This post has been edited by jesterrace777: May 3 2006, 03:49 AM

yaazz

• Archived User
Need A Cheap Deck
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 06:27:00 PM »

walmart sells a portable cd player and tape adapter for like 15 bucks

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Need A Cheap Deck
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 12:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(yaazz @ May 7 2006, 01:27 AM) *

walmart sells a portable cd player and tape adapter for like 15 bucks

HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!  People keep forgetting that a POS Amplifier (ie his old casette deck) isn't going to put out anywhere near the sound quality of the JVC.  Not to mention that $15 "value pack" CD Player is going to skip like there is no tomorrow in a car on even the smoothest of roads.  Sorry but IMHO portable CD Players are no where near what they need to be to compare for smooth playability on day to day driving.  They can put in all the lock, ESP features that they want to but it still can't compare to the setups that decent car decks have in them to prevent skipping.  

deacon187

• Archived User
Need A Cheap Deck
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 09:59:00 PM »

on a budget like that, jvc and pioneer have been good to me, i used to have a jvc chameleon a while back till it got stollen since it wasnt detachable but it was a damn good radio for 140.00

cheapest system i built that sounded so fucking awsome was the jvc chameleon, 2 pioneer imp 12" subs and a jensen 280 watt 2 channel amp, total cost 360.00 in an 88 acura legend, left the bose factory door and rear dash speakers and this set up rocked but this was in 1999 or something but you could seriously hear the system a 1/8 mile away

you can get a pioneer super tuner for like 79.00 that i think youd be hapy with

yaazz

• Archived User
Need A Cheap Deck
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 06:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ May 8 2006, 03:58 AM) *

HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!  People keep forgetting that a POS Amplifier (ie his old casette deck) isn't going to put out anywhere near the sound quality of the JVC.  Not to mention that $15 "value pack" CD Player is going to skip like there is no tomorrow in a car on even the smoothest of roads.  Sorry but IMHO portable CD Players are no where near what they need to be to compare for smooth playability on day to day driving.  They can put in all the lock, ESP features that they want to but it still can't compare to the setups that decent car decks have in them to prevent skipping.  

Actually i had one for a while, it worked great, no skipping at all surprisingly! and htis was in an off road truck

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Need A Cheap Deck
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 12:42:00 AM »

What happened to it?  Either way, it still wouldn't sound very good.

C o s m o

• Archived User
Need A Cheap Deck
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 06:22:00 AM »

AVOID THE WALMART SHIT.  Those are specially made for Walmart, and they are rubbish.
Check out these quality decks:
$89 Clarion
$89 JVC
$99 Clarion
$99 JVC
$99 Kenwood

This post has been edited by C o s m o: May 12 2006, 01:23 PM

yaazz

• Archived User
Need A Cheap Deck
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 01:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ May 12 2006, 03:42 AM) *
What happened to it?  Either way, it still wouldn't sound very good.

What happened is one day I wasnt paying a lot of attention to it, and suddenly I hear something dragging outside the car. I look at the tape deck and there is a wire hanging out of it leading down to the road. Case wasnt too scratched up or anything, and it probably would have still worked if it didnt go through a few mudpuddles (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)

I was going to buy a new one, but decided to just take the cd player out of my other car and install it.
Quality was more than adequate for me, unless your a sound quality nazi, i dont see why it would be a problem at all. In fact I would say it gave at least as good, maybe better, quality than the crappy deck I have in the car now.

It would all depend on the quality of the HU playing the tape adapter I would assume

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Need A Cheap Deck
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 07:54:00 PM »

Of course it would.  You can have the best components/speakers in the world but if you are running them through a POS amp (ie cheap quality car deck amp) then they are still going to sound like shite.

modestrabbit

• Archived User
Need A Cheap Deck
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 11:36:00 AM »

Clarions have always sounded pretty nice to me and I think that they can be obtained for fairly cheap.

One thing I would reccomend is to stay away from a SONY deck...people seem to associate the name with the best quality equipment...yes, they may make some good televisions, decent home stereo receivers, etc, but their car equipment is CRAP.

I have an Eclipse deck in my car and IMO they are some of the best decks on the market, although a bit pricey. You might be able to find one of last year's models on eBay for a good price though.

This post has been edited by modestrabbit: Jun 14 2006, 06:38 PM

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Need A Cheap Deck
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 10:37:00 AM »

I concur.  I won't touch ANY Sony Car Audio.  Eclipse decks are simply amazing.  Although you have to be careful with them as of late as some of their entry line decks aren't nearly as good.  Apparently Eclipse is trying to take some of their base models down a notch to make them more affordable to the average consumer.  Sad to see that happen.