xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: How To Make Mashups?  (Read 66 times)

o The Drizzle o

• Archived User
How To Make Mashups?
« on: November 01, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »

Well, I'm a big fan of mashup music, like Girl Talk and E-603... but how do they get all the samples to use? Like how do they make vocal samples and back music samples? I wanna try to make some of my own mashups, but I dont know how to separate vocals and music apart in songs... any advice on how?

lordvader129

• Archived User
How To Make Mashups?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »

im not sure you can do it from a normal recording (IE one ripped from a CD) although it might be possible by dropping certain channels (the way some CD players have a "karaoke mode" which i think is done by dropping the center audio channel)

other than that youd have to get a hold of the multitrack masters, which would have separate tracks for each instrument and voice used in the song

signal-to-noise-ratio

• Archived User
How To Make Mashups?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »

You can drop out center vocals by summing the left and right channels with one being inverted in wave form. I would use something like audacity to do this. Ie if the left channel is + and the right channel +. Make the right channel -. Then combine. This will cancel out all vocals in center and make a mono audio track.

However then you will have to deal with the residual reverb and effects on vocals which can be stereo and different levels for each channel so there is no easy way to eliminate them.  But if reverb/effects  are quiet you can put audio on top of them to drown them out.

o The Drizzle o

• Archived User
How To Make Mashups?
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 09:13:00 AM »

yeah.. cutting out the background on hiphop songs is pretty hard with all the effects they use. i tried the method you said and it didnt really do much. any idea where to find mastertracks of stuff?