xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Some Advice From You Networking Geniuses...  (Read 84 times)

Mikesshunk

• Archived User
Some Advice From You Networking Geniuses...
« on: August 05, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »

Well if you're just sharing files like you're suggesting, why not go with a NAS drive? Alot cheaper than a server too.

IAmTheDude360

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 06:20:00 PM »

My lappys probably got a years life left in it and was planning on moving over to a desktop when it died so thought Id kill two birds, get my DT setup and learn some networking skills while Im at it.

Lappys been my powerhorse for the last few years and having an unlimited usenet account probably hasnt helped! Missis is buying me a little netbook for xmas so thats the portable side taken care of so thought Id concentrate on the house/media side of things with my DT.

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 07:21:00 PM »

You could setup an old laptop as a server for storage, printing, routing etc. They use less power, take up less space, and have a battery. Check out Webmin. Plus an external storage drive into the laptop and never turn the laptop off. Just close the screen, and save some power.

If you can, put Linux on your router. Dd-wrt is a good place to start with that. You can turn a router with linux into an access point. I have 2 xboxes and a pc wired into a Linksys WRT54G that is receiving the net from a Linksys WAP11. None of the devices know they are connected wirelessly. That will make life for your dad's Xbox1 a lot easier.

You can also block Live's IPs from your dad's boxes and you won't have to worry about anything.

Trebz

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 01:25:00 AM »

I use:

http://www.freenas.org/

Perfection.

It will run on any old piece of garbage PC, my first Freenas server was running on a 1.0ghz processor with 128MB RAM and it worked faultlessly.

My only outlay was for the 2 X 1TB HDD's which i mirrored.

My current server has been running non stop for at least 6 months without a re boot.

Go to the website, have a sniff around the forums and get Freenas installed.

Any problems, just PM me.

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 04:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(IAmTheDude360 @ Aug 5 2009, 04:07 AM) View Post

Now, on my Base unit what would you suggest I use OS wise, XP, 7 or Server 2008?
For XP/7 I could set up standard sharing folders (SMB) for XB1 and Lappys then use WMP/TVersity etc to share to the 360s. Reading a bit more, is WS2008 more cut out for this sort of job? Do the xboxes have any problems logging in to a Active Directory (is a AD needed or can you still do simple sharing with WS08?)

you can do normal sharing from windows server (2003 or 2008) AD is only used if you set up a domain (and FWIW the xbox has no problem authenticating to a domain either)

Now is it possible to have the cable from my dads 360 running into a separate NIC on the server with him still being able to access the network but NOT being able to sign into Live?

yes, that would be possible, but it might be easier to wire him through the router and just dont configure a gateway on the 360s network settings