xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: LEDs For Beer Pong Table  (Read 94 times)

hamwbone

• Recovered User
LEDs For Beer Pong Table
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2008, 06:09:00 AM »

hmm... id say do the plexi, liquid+wood+ electronics+drunks= possible mess.   plexi that thing so you can hose it off  biggrin.gif

o The Drizzle o

• Archived User
LEDs For Beer Pong Table
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2008, 05:53:00 PM »

ha, i dont know what you mean... we dont do anything stuipid when we're drunk... hahah.
the current table is a 2 big sheets of fiberboard that sit on an old table with the corners supported by some pvc tube (which arent even secured to the wood)... and that has lasted haha

o The Drizzle o

• Archived User
LEDs For Beer Pong Table
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »

1 more question
anybody have any recomendations for UV reactive paint? preferably in a shake can. needs to go on clear.. react to uv as blue.
need enough to cover all the paint areas (so lion, penn state text, cup markers, and border)

lostboyz

• Archived User
LEDs For Beer Pong Table
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »

ive never done it on purpose but laundry detergent glows blue under blacklight

Let me know how the psu works out just ordered 400 LEDs for an upcoming project

o The Drizzle o

• Archived User
LEDs For Beer Pong Table
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2008, 10:31:00 PM »

well... how exactly am i gonna paint with laundry detergent  wink.gif
i read it glows and a certain type of water glows too.

i had to get on and read how to do the wiring... this is gonna be the first project where ive had to wire up stuff, every other time is was just using included plug and adapters.. never doing it myself. so its ambitious for my first project.

the power supply im looking at has dual 12v rails... will i get anything out of having 12v rails, or for my purposes, will a single rail suffice?

o The Drizzle o

• Archived User
LEDs For Beer Pong Table
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2008, 11:44:00 PM »

i figured id give an update on the table
we started building it last week, so fair we have the frame and top done.
for the fram we used 2x4s, the table is 8'x2' which is i guess regulation size. then we have cross sections going across every 2', so its pretty sturdy. then ontop of the fram, we have a sheet of 3/8" plywood to cover the top. then on top of that, we have hardwood laminate. altogether the top is about 1" thick... so it can take some weight haha.
the corners are beveled down so once we do the sides, it should all be flush. for the sides, we put a 45 degree bevel on the sides so theyll joint the top good. there are some gaps where they meet, so were gonna nail the sides on with a nail gun and putty the gaps... then sand it smooth and put a white border on the edge to cover the putty... but it still looks nice. i wanted to do wooden square legs.. but my friends didnt want to have to worry about routing the wire and shit around them.. so we got a pair of legs that would be used on a banquet table. theyre about 30" tall and 2' wide, so they fit good and fold up underneath.
we ditched the recessed CC tube idea... i liked that idea though sad.gif .... but now were just gonna wire up a bunch of uv leds and maybe mount 2 CCs underneath it on cross beams.. shits gonna have ground effects! haha. shits 2 fast 2 furious lol.  tongue.gif

but about the leds... the power supply has a 3.3v rail... i thought it was on a molex... so i got on and did research to make sure, i was wrong. molex is 12v, 5v, and 2 grounds... no 3.3v.
but i read the 3.3v is the orange wire... which is on the main motherboard 20 pin plug, and theres like 3 orange wires. can i just the 3 from the plug and solder to the wire? assuming the 3.3v is infact the 3 orange wires on the main 20 pin plug...

whenever we get it all done, ill be sure to take some pics and post them! its gonna be badass and is resembling the original idea i had so far  smile.gif

kirky1991

• Archived User
LEDs For Beer Pong Table
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2008, 02:44:00 AM »

The 3.3volt is usualy standby power/PwrOn... Cant you just use 5v with resistors ? I'm not sure on the mamps of 3.3v

o The Drizzle o

• Archived User
LEDs For Beer Pong Table
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2008, 09:00:00 AM »

the power supply were going to be using has like 15 amps on the 3.3v rail... so its enough

o The Drizzle o

• Archived User
LEDs For Beer Pong Table
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2008, 11:45:00 PM »

ok, heres a pic of the middle. its the only one we took so far, its just to show off the lion head.
to do it... we got a vinyl printed to use as a stencil... but... when the picture got blown up, it was all pixelated so the vinyl was jagged. after we cleaned up the edges with a razor blade... we put it down and painted. when we took the vinyl off the next morning, paint bled underneath the vinyl all over and the paint started to tear and lift up in other areas. so we had to scrape away some paint, trim other areas, and touch up others.
IPB Image
hows it look so far? (it was taken with a camera phone cause we didnt have the digi with us, and the dark square around the lion head is from the polyurethane, we put a layer down to help protect the paint while we finish everything else)

hamwbone

• Recovered User
LEDs For Beer Pong Table
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2008, 12:09:00 AM »

sharp lookin setup!!!  

you should put an xbox and lcd screen underneath the table so when i drink you under it you'll have something to do.    tongue.gif

capboy210

• Archived User
LEDs For Beer Pong Table
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2008, 12:51:00 AM »

Since this is the dump I thought id throw in my input  biggrin.gif

Haha last time i checked electricity + beer on the electric powered table + drunk people = bad. But if well done im sure it would be cool. But i can just imagne some dumbass tripping over the power cord and messing the whole table up. Just make sure its fool proof if you want it to last. But either way, evrey one has there own unique table.

What we do on campus is alot of people have the standard plywood or particle board on top of a cheap folding table found at a garage sale. Then get some spraypaint and decorate it or graffiti your name in or whatever.... It just makes it more fun that evreyone can graffiti it. Plus if someone knocks off the plywood off the table you get to make the pary foul rules  tongue.gif but best of all its cheap and you can buy more beer!

I was a bit shocked to watch this video and was wondering if its nessicary to spend 1000$ on a beer pong table:

But i have to say the most creative ive seen is a door removed off the hinges on top of a dryer.

Anyways good luck on the table!

o The Drizzle o

• Archived User
LEDs For Beer Pong Table
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2008, 08:46:00 AM »

i dont think i have anything to worry about hamwbone... i do believe before you said you dont drink the bp type of beer.. like keylight or budlight. so i wont even have to worry about you playing  tongue.gif

o The Drizzle o

• Archived User
LEDs For Beer Pong Table
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2008, 01:32:00 AM »

well its been awhile.. but heres an update since im drunk and thought of this.
we have the table all built. we have the lionhead on the top as you saw in a previous post, but we decided to paint the "Penn State" text on the side... we got it all done and it looks good. we did it a better way by laying down a layer of tape, tracing the text, then cutting the tape on the table. came out much better. id post a pic of it, but my phone is dead and i dont have my charger with me. the text is a bit crooked.. but when youre drunk, isnt everything a bit crooked?
we put some polyurethane on the top to protect it when we broke it in like 2 weeks ago.. played like a champ. me and my one friend are undefeated on it so far and went undefeated tonight... everyone who played on it thought it was huge since it was like 8 foot long... but its a good length now  that were used to it, makes other tables look liked kiddie tables, no joke haha.
but, when we put the polyurethane on, we came back a week later to my friends house where its at, and the crap turned yellow. looks like elmers wood glue... its shitty. wherever it went over the white paint, the yellow is all blotchy and looks like its got an std or some shit... its weak as hell.  anyone know what we could do to remedy this? it was suppose to be clear, but obviously the label was full of shit when it said that.
ill post pics later when its completely done... i gotta wait for my psp to sell on ebay then were gonna order the leds, cathodes, and uv paint to finish this table all off.

nvm... i found a pic of the penn state text in my photobucket haha
IPB Image

metalmaster06

• Archived User
LEDs For Beer Pong Table
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2008, 02:49:00 AM »

props fellas. Just put down a couple of good pong games here in Utah.

Used to live In North Versailes, PA for a few years.

Always good to see Penn State fans around. Good luck w/ the lighting.

As for the urethane, talk to a local wood worker/ cabinetry shop to see if they have recommendations on the finish for the table. Usually there's a guy around that can either give you advice, or spray some good sealer for you cheap cause they buy in bulk.

Cheers

Next game is for you boys.

XPxAxBxLxOX

• Archived User
LEDs For Beer Pong Table
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »

What penn state campus do you go to?  If it's close enough, I might have to crash your party to try that table first hand.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5