xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Question About A Legal Copy Of Vista  (Read 21 times)

ruli00

• Archived User
Question About A Legal Copy Of Vista
« on: September 05, 2007, 10:13:00 AM »

Hi all,

I bought a new computer with windows vista basic on it.
This is an OEM version and is full of compaq ads and apps like most new computers are.
This computer has so much crap on that it is slow as hell.
Is there any part in what I want to do that would not be legal or make my copy not genuine.

I want to download an OEM copy off the internet (like this from newegg). This OEM copy would have no branded stuff or ads and junk on it.
And install it on that computer with the product key on the side of the computer box.

Anyone know if this is legal? or have any suggestions?

PLEASE DO NOT POST DOWNLOAD LINKS IN HERE
I DONT WANT THIS CLOSED
THANK YOU

-ruli00

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 10:33:00 AM »

you can download it, copy someone elses, it dosent matter as long as you use your serial number

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 10:36:00 AM »

I'm not sure of the legal boundaries... honestly it can change from software to software and it's really based on how the EULA is written.... I'm not too familiar with the Windows EULA

I will say that Windows serials are not universal and I've run into situations where trying to re-install windows from a legal disc but with serial from the sticker on the side did not work...  sad.gif

as much as I'm unfamiliar with the EULA I'm unfamiliar with how the keys work too.

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 10:40:00 AM »

I guess i dont know how vista works, but recently my buddy was reinstalling xp on his machine, his disc was fubar and i gave him mine, as long as he used his own serial. My disc worked fine and his serial worked fine. Vista may be more particular in this case, but as long as you get the same version of the os it should theoretically work with your own serial.

melongstrike

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 03:27:00 PM »

I use to do this pretty often.

As long as I purchased a software and it began to act up I would copy a friends cd and use my serial number with it.

I keep the non functioning original as proof of purchase but use the cd backup as my true copy.

I ran into problems twice and called MS and they didn't seem to have an issue with me using this practice.

Knock on wood.

Alex548

• Recovered User
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 03:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Sep 5 2007, 10:12 AM) View Post

I'm not sure of the legal boundaries... honestly it can change from software to software and it's really based on how the EULA is written.... I'm not too familiar with the Windows EULA

I will say that Windows serials are not universal and I've run into situations where trying to re-install windows from a legal disc but with serial from the sticker on the side did not work...  sad.gif

as much as I'm unfamiliar with the EULA I'm unfamiliar with how the keys work too.

There's numerous versions of windows XP which is why the serial on the case didn't work.

Off the top of my head:

· Windows XP Home OEM
· Windows XP Home Retail
· Windows XP Home Student & Teacher Edition (NFR)
· Windows XP Pro OEM
· Windows XP Pro Retail
· Windows XP Pro Student & Teacher Edition (NFR)
· Windows XP Pro Volume License Edition
· Windows XP Pro Media Center Edition (2005, 2005, and maybe others)

Of course that's just what I can remember. If you use the wrong installation disc, your key won't work.

Rustmonkey

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »

You should probabley be pretty safe with your serial and vista as its new enough that you won't end up with a different version of the same package - I ran into this problem when my XP disc got screwed as an older XP serial won't work with the newer packages - i.e. Windows XP Pro with SP2 integrated... I had an original XP pro serial, not one for SP2 integrated, so the install disc wouldn't accept it...

Good luck!

o The Drizzle o

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 05:32:00 PM »

yea, you should be fine. normally the discs all come with every version on it and you just enter the serial in and it installs the corresponding version. since you already have a license, id say just find someone with a disc to install from.
are you sure yours didnt come with a disc? like mine came with a disc called anytime upgrade which is just basically the retail disc.

Wolves

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 06:45:00 PM »

It works with XP and I'm sure it'd work with Vista. The only thing you'd have to worry about is maybe your ISP picking up the transfer.

As far as serial numbers are concerned, all disks are bound to one product key (that and those generic VLKs), but you can activate (the part that actually matters) it using your other key.

Also, OEM keys work just as well with an actual OEM copy as it does with any other key as long as the version of Windows is the same.

I highly doubt anyone's going to come hunting you down for trying to ditch adware.

Alex548

• Recovered User
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 06:57:00 PM »

Actually, OEM keys won't work on Retail or Volume License discs.

crackfeen

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 09:40:00 AM »

if it doesn't work, just call tech support up, tell them you're having a problem with your installation and that it's not accepting your cd key... they'll probably ask for some more information from you but eventually you will get a new cdkey... i know i've had to do that before.. not for windows but the concept should still fly.. anyways.. if that doesn't work then you'll have to try something else, but it's a pretty good bet

Wolves

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 06:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(Alex548 @ Sep 6 2007, 07:33 PM) View Post
Actually, OEM keys won't work on Retail or Volume License discs.

They'll activate to it though, at least it worked for me. I had to use a VLK disc (comp wouldn't read my original) and it never had a problem activating to my actual key. I was also doing it over the phone btw