xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Buying A New Digital Camera  (Read 25 times)

FILTHY J NASTY

• Archived User
Buying A New Digital Camera
« on: June 28, 2007, 11:21:00 PM »

Which camera should I buy?

So I'm finally tired of my old sony, and looking to upgrade to something fairly decent.

Budget

No more than 200 or so

Size

Does not need to be ULTRA slim, but needs to be fairly pocketable

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you? At least 6

What optical zoom will you need? Standard

How important is “image quality” to you? 8

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)? Noob in this department.. lol

General Usage

What will you generally use the camera for? Taking Pictures out Doors and inside, just overall everyday usage inside and out.

Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? Not really mostly just sending to friends and upping to my computer followed by occasionally printing some pictures

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? Sometimes

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? Sometimes

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate? NO

Are there particular models you already have in mind? Yes, I have been looking on the samsungs, Nikons, and sony cameras under 200$

Do you need any of the following special features? Image Stabilization would be a nice feature, also being able to remove red on on the camera and be able to have different photo modes like black and white and stuff

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS THAT THE CAMERA NEEDS TO TAKE VIDEOS WITH SOUND, The videos need to be decent quality, since i like taking quad videos and things, so it needs to be able to record at fast speeds..

Thanks for the help..
Post 1 of 1 | Back to top

hamwbone

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 05:27:00 AM »

FILTHY J NASTY

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 03:11:00 PM »

Thanks but does anyone have a camera they would like to suggest?

I will probably just wind up walking into bestbuy in a week just to see what they got..

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 03:32:00 PM »

I would suggest a Sony, Canon or an Olympus. I personally use Sony cameras (motion and still) but they have been removing a lot of features lately. Their image quality is top notch though, as well as their build quality. I have no camera younger than 5 years old, and they all still work. I just had to clean the head of my Digital Camcorder for the 2nd time in 7 years. Now it works perfect again.

Canons are easy to use and produce decent quality pictures too. I have 1 Canon that I received as a gift. It works fine, but even though it has more megapixels than my Sony, the images seem a bit "washed" comparatively.

Olympus makes really good cameras. I have never used one, but an old roommate I had swore by them.

I don't think you need to focus on megapixels at all. Where the technology is, you can no longer buy cameras without a sufficient amount of pixels. I would focus more on image quality, which is not related to megapixels whatsoever, and features.

I know you said zoom wasn't important, but I disagree with you. Optical zoom is extremely important. You can't fake it. You can digitally zoom on your computer as far as you want so pay no attention to the rated digital zoom. Get a camera with decent optical zoom and you will be happy.

The things you "lol"ed about are automated on most consumer grade cameras. Those features are what Sony has been removing, and now they are automated. If you want manual control of those you need to upgrade to a semi-pro/pro camera. There is no need for you to do that, for now. Or, you could buy an older camera, that still has those features built in.

FILTHY J NASTY

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 04:03:00 PM »

Thanks man,

I have been told that Sony is slowly decreasing lately, and the features aren't that great.

I have been very interested in this http://www.newegg.co...CMP=OTC-Froogle

But the low price makes me skeptical. I think my best bet would just to go into a store and keep in mind, things everyone is telling me, and talk to a best buy rep..

But, basically, anything from Sony,Olympus, and Canon would be a good camera?

FILTHY J NASTY

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 04:17:00 PM »

Lol yea, but i was told samsung cameras are no good or i would already have the Samsung L73.

I have also recently took a liking to the Canon SD750, and i hear canon takes good photos.

Cameras Im interested in:

OLYMPUS STYLUS 730
Sony W55
Samsung S850
Samsung L73
Casio Exilim Ex-Z75

There are more i like, i just can't think of them..

Out of these what are the pros and cons of them?

i dont think im gonna go with a samsung because all reviews i have been reading, say that its poor image quality.

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(hamwbone @ Jun 29 2007, 08:03 AM) View Post

FILTHY J NASTY

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »

I think im gonna go pic up the samsung L73, and try it and see how i like it. If i dont then im going to get the casio..

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 10:45:00 PM »

I highly recomment Canon digital cameras

I've owned digital cams from:
Sony (2)
Toshiba (1)
Samsung (1)
Kodak (2)
Canon (3)

Kodaks are total Junk not worth your time
Toshibas are barely a step up from Kodak and Samsungs are a slight step up from Toshiba.

Canon is definitely #1 in my experience with Sony a close second and Tied with Olympia (I've never owned one but my friends that have were all very pleased)

The MSRP might be a little out of your price range but you should definitely check out the Canon S3 ... it's just barely been replaced by the Canon S5 so the price is down around $300 and you could probably find it even cheaper if you did some hunting.

As it is right now I just spent a few week helping a co-worker hunt for a new digital camera and we came to the conclusion that the Canon S5 was hands down the best camera you can buy without going to an SLR (where the prices start reaching into the thousands).

The S3 is actually really very close to the S5 and IMO has the best quality per $ of any other camera on the market.

Sony's camera's usually have slightly better low light performance and slightly faster shutter speed than the Canons but Sony cameras are also typically more expensive, use proprietary (and expensive) Sony memory sticks and also use proprietary rechargeable battery packs limiting how you want to power your camera.

Find someone who still has an S3 in stock and try it out... you wont be disappointed  smile.gif

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 02:50:00 AM »

I have a FujiFilm FinePix S7000, it's 6.3MP via hardware and can go up to about 12.3MP via software. It has some pretty cool Macro modes & great sport focus modes and full manual on everything and uses standard AA batteries so if you buy high MPA ones you never have to worry about the battery being dead if it's a property one.

Coupled with a 1GB Compact Flash card it's great for my photography needs. It's a Digital-SLR build type camera but because it was £200 or so you can't change the lens but it allows some addons.

1GB card allows 14 minutes video or about 637 photos at 6.3MP.

http://www.fujifilm..../cameras/s7000/

IPB Image (fujifulm image)

Here is a picture I took at Silverstone last weekend

IPB Image

http://bucko-desie.d...rt.com/gallery/ has many of my photography work with this camera

capboy210

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »

My Samsung Digimax L60 works great. I got it a while back and it should be very cheap now. I actually have sat on this camra and done other accidental stupid things with it and still no problems, very durable and user friendly. 6 megapixel and video, samsung, cheap. I think you get the point.