xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Kid Safe Web Browser  (Read 42 times)

throwingks

• Archived User
Kid Safe Web Browser
« on: May 18, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »

This is mostly for other parents out there, but anyone can chime in.

What do you think of a free, kid friendly internet browser? If there is already something like this, please let me know, cause I don't know of any. My browser only connects to pre-approved websites and pages. It does not support any form of redirect. So parents can rest easy knowing that their children are safe.

Each page will have to be submitted and verified safe by a board of members, made up of people in the community.

I know of parental controls for the PC and IE and all that jazz, but those have to still be monitored and correctly configured and whatnot. This is for the most part foolproof.

In the code of the individual pages, an age range can be specified. The kid browser will only show pages based on the child's birthday by default. Of course, parents can override certain aspects. This browser will basically be able to be locked down so parents can rest easy that a mistyped web address won't lead their children someplace they shouldn't be.

I believe there should be a .kid domain, and parents can lock down their PCs to only connect to .kid websites, but that would take a lot of work to get accomplished.

If anyone wants to help me, I would be more than happy to take advice. biggrin.gif

*I call dibs on this, if it isn't already taken. tongue.gif

CJLee89

• Archived User
Kid Safe Web Browser
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 08:35:00 PM »

http://kidrocket.org/

not sure if this is what you are looking for.

Arjun

• Archived User
Kid Safe Web Browser
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(CJLee89 @ May 19 2007, 04:11 AM) View Post

http://kidrocket.org/

not sure if this is what you are looking for.

Any kid would commit suicide if all they got to do was visit these sites:
http://kidrocket.org...ebsite_list.php

Alex548

• Recovered User
Kid Safe Web Browser
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 10:14:00 PM »

Nickjr rox.
I use it all the time.  smile.gif

yaazz

• Archived User
Kid Safe Web Browser
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 07:16:00 AM »

Not that this isn't a good idea, but kids are smart, they will just find a way to open a real web browser and look at what they want.

...or at least thats what I did when my parents put all that net nany stuff on when I was a kid... I learned how to disable it tongue.gif

gordo1111

• Archived User
Kid Safe Web Browser
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 12:21:00 PM »

Firefox with a bunch of safety extension (noscript, adblock) with a net nanny and firewall blocking dirty sites.
Not all in one but it worked for this kid.