xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Advice On Depression Medication  (Read 85 times)

spiffyville

• Archived User
Advice On Depression Medication
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2006, 09:46:00 PM »

Getting into a negative mindset is easy, its getting out thats somewhat dificult. When I was younger I used to have problems kinda like yours. Seeing all the negative things in the world can really bear down on you. A lot of people have mentioned multiple ways they've dealt with the same things your going through, but theres one thing they forgot. A lot of times events in life you blame yourself for are beyond your control, you speak of bonds dissolving between you and friends. More likely than not this isn't your fault and is probably beyond the scope of your control. So what do you do? Life goes on. No matter how low you are in life, you'll always go back up. The only place to go from the bottom is the top. And if nothing else there's always chronic.

Anyway, hope everything goes well.

Fuzzy

• Recovered User
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2006, 04:30:00 PM »

Thanks so much for all of your support and advice guys. I think I'm having a bit of a mental breakthrough. My depression always goes in ups and downs and I hit a bit of an up earlier in the week so I'm trying to block out my anxiety and irrational thoughts. I love my new job at Gamestop (I don't know why everyone says working there sucks) and I've decided that I really was trying too hard on my friendships and I just have to let them be, because any other way really takes the fun out of it.

I'm sure I'll fall back into it sooner or later, something bad will happen or my anxiety will come back, but I'm going to savor what I have now for as long as I can. It meant a lot that you guys all came out of the woodwork to give your ideas. Thanks again sleep.gif

"Lean on me, when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
'Til I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on"

beerchug.gif

Xombe

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2006, 04:58:00 PM »

Up and down in cycles?  You mean like bipolar disorder (a milder form of manic depression)?

Fuzzy

• Recovered User
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2006, 06:13:00 PM »

No, not at all. My happiness and sadness always seem to have clear explanations. I simply call them cycles out of convenience.

alemerson

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2006, 06:48:00 PM »

xombe makes a great point.

If your problem is a chemical imbalance, then you need meds. It sounds harsh but its just a way to correct your inbalance. Your "cycles" could very well be the cycle of your natural chemicals working. Your body might be naturally only able to create enough seratonin (<-sp?) just to keep you happy for a day or two and then you fall back into a long slump. I would suggest contacting your physician to ask if they can test for a chemical inbalance. Think about what it would be like if you knew for a fact that your chemicals were a little outa wack... would that change your feeling about meds.

Meds would no longer be about creating a false sense of happiness.

they would be about correcting your chemicals, giving you a clean normal chemical slate, you would be as normal as the next guy, and then you could create your own happiness like the next guy, not have it instilled for you

Fuzzy

• Recovered User
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2006, 11:16:00 PM »

Well if this cycle dips straight back down to exactly how I felt, I'll go back to the psychiatrist and get his opinion again, but as for now, I'm going to see if I can stay happy...

Thanks again guys.
Pages: 1 2 [3]