xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Is It Possible To Change Games?  (Read 78 times)

Drew826

• Archived User
Is It Possible To Change Games?
« on: September 16, 2002, 01:42:00 PM »

1. If you feel like messing around with the files within a game, go for it. chances are it won't be easy.
2. the XDK has little/nothing to do with what you're trying to do. your best bet is changing graphics or trying to hex-edit files
3. i think i've seen that somewhere....
4. i don't see any need at all to try to turn your xbox into a debug unit. just look through the files for something

dignick

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2002, 01:44:00 PM »

uhh.gif

manniezee

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2002, 02:08:00 PM »

I just learned that DAT files are not opened with notepad. Anyone know what opens DAT files? Thanks in advance.

dignick

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2002, 02:16:00 PM »

QUOTE (manniezee @ Sep 16 2002, 08:08 PM)
I just learned that DAT files are not opened with notepad. Anyone know what opens DAT files? Thanks in advance.

ive been searching on google for ".dat" viewer with no success mad.gif

manniezee

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2002, 02:37:00 PM »

beerchug.gif

82ross

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2002, 04:57:00 PM »

.dat files are just data storage files. dat = data. It can be near enough anything depending on what the maker of the program wishes todo.

You could try and search for legible strings inside the file, i would use UltraEdit. A very good all round program that supports hexediting.

Open it in that. Search for names you know exist in the game. Try replacing the name with a word of the same length. Put the modified file back over to the game folder and see if anythings changed. If you cant find any names or any farmiliar words. The file could be compressed or evern encrypted, or both. Dunno why itd be the second one though.

Id have to try it meself to know more about it.

UsMarine

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2002, 06:13:00 AM »

you will not be able to change original games unless they are copies they yes because the originals are read only so you cannot modify the actual game on disc