xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Microsoft reaches patent milestone  (Read 126 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Microsoft reaches patent milestone
« on: March 07, 2006, 06:12:00 AM »

Microsoft reaches patent milestone-- Posted by XanTium on March 7 08:12 EST
From gamesindustry.biz:

Microsoft has been granted its 5000th US patent for a new technology, specially designed for inclusion in Xbox 360 games, that will enable people from around the globe to join online games as spectator.

The milestone patent relates to a host of technologies that mirror the experience of viewing a sporting event broadcast, enabling people to tune in to online videogames and enjoy the gaming experience in real-time as a spectator rather than a player.
Featuring highlights, instant replays, and unique spectator controlled views of the action within a game or event, the technology enables the viewer to control one or more virtual cameras to select desired viewpoints, or an automated camera control to frame the action and perform specific cuts to best convey the story and action.

Read More: gamesindustry.biz and microsoft.com

chris123643

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 06:50:00 AM »

i dont get it

LoneGun

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 07:18:00 AM »

How have they been given a patent for something that is already in use.
HLTV was great when i was playing clanned TFC i'm guessing that the highlight system and such make it a new system thus allowing the patent.
This will suck anyway unless MS start allowing games servers to be hosted on pc's rather than having to be hosted on individual 360's that is unless everyone gets a 1gb line installed with at least 10mb upload.

StepsAscend

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 09:15:00 AM »

This actually seems like a pretty cool idea, for the businessmen.  It sounds like the idea is to give sort of a free preview of a game to people.  I think it's smart marketing.

lowendfrequency

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 09:24:00 AM »

I'd welcome any new features and for certain games, the idea of spectating would be sweet.  I'd especially like to spectate some of the sponsored tournaments and gamewithfame events.

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 10:03:00 AM »

this is great news as i watch Gotham TV a lot.  i just hope a lot of games put this idea to good use.  

as for bandwith issues, there wont be any issues.  i believe it was AT&T that won the contract to host all of the spectated events.  so it will be them hosting servers capable of holding around 300k individuals.

quall

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 10:50:00 AM »

I too don't get it. Why would people encourage this patent? Just about any FPS you'll find has a spectator mode to just join a game and "spectate". This will now only cause problems for companies that have been doing this for a decade.

a pos ta fee s

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 01:14:00 PM »

If I am understanding this correctly....

This patent will allow me to join let say quall playing NFL 2k8 and just sit in and watch.? Is that the jist of it. For those of you who say this has been done or is in existent where? I am NOT a pc gamer and if that option is present there I understand your disenchanted attitudes but on a console basis this idea is great news.

This would allow me to tune in and watch K4RN4GE kick ass on Geometry wars and learn. This also presents a visual aspect for those needing "walk through" assistance, this also allows people to "experience" the game before buying it.

For someone (myself) who hates almost eveything the 360 has to offer I really enjoy this idea... and look forward to seeing it in use SOON.

oh by the way THE OUTFIT STINKS... I am glad they have demo downloads on the market I don't have to waste cash on this title.

This post has been edited by a pos ta fee s: Mar 7 2006, 09:15 PM

Gobelet

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 01:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(quall @ Mar 7 2006, 08:50 PM) *

I too don't get it. Why would people encourage this patent? Just about any FPS you'll find has a spectator mode to just join a game and "spectate". This will now only cause problems for companies that have been doing this for a decade.

There's something called 'prior art', so no, they won't get into trouble because of this.

thax

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 01:54:00 PM »

The only reason MS has been filing patents like crazy for the past few years is because it is cheaper than litigation. Look at RIM.

Ming3r

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2006, 07:47:00 PM »

When 360 modding on Live gets big, hopefully this will stop the cheaters on there...

Bad memories of Halo 2 I guess...Seems cool anyways, you can't em cheaters and well, you can learn from them! (Erm, I mean the legit good players)

This post has been edited by Ming3r: Mar 8 2006, 03:51 AM

LoneGun

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 05:41:00 AM »

well if it works in the same way as HLTV you dont actually join the server.  A hltv client joins the server and then you connect to the ip of the hltv server.  This means no additional bandwidth is needed by the actual game server other than to accomodate the hltv client.  If MS are going to implement it in this way then it will work well with current connection speeds.  If they are going to make it so that hundreds of spectators can connect to the machines playing the games then I can see it causing a serious degredation to gameplay due to the bandwidth required.