xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Industry Icons about Online Gaming  (Read 111 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Industry Icons about Online Gaming
« on: February 10, 2006, 12:11:00 PM »

Industry Icons about Online Gaming-- Posted by XanTium on February 10 14:04 EST
GameSpot.com posted about a panel discussion to discuss the changing landscape of game design in light of an online world featuring , among others, Raph Koster (chief creative officer of Sony Online Entertainment) and Peter Moore, corporate (vice president of Microsoft's interactive entertainment business). Here are some quotes:

"In the future, if your console isn't connected, it's no different than a laptop that doesn't connect to the Internet," Moore said. "It's an inferior experience and it really is a step backwards for the industry... Offline seems primitive at this point."

"The entire video game industry's history thus far has been an aberration," Koster told the audience. "It has been a mutant monster only made possible by unconnected computers. People always play games together. All of you learned to play games with each other. When you were kids, you played tag, tea parties, cops and robbers, what have you. The single-player game is a strange mutant monster which has only existed for 21 years and is about to go away because it is unnatural and abnormal."
"Linear entertainment in single-player is to media what masturbation is to sex," Butler said. "It'll always be there, but it is not the real experience."

"Let's be fair. Whether it's five, 10, 15, 20 years from now, the concept of driving to the store to buy a plastic disc with data on it and driving back and popping it in the drive will be ridiculous," Moore said. "We'll tell our grandchildren that and they'll laugh at us."

Read More: gamespot.com

MadEx

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 12:26:00 PM »

Strong words considering MS has never made a online-only game.

griffin XXI

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 12:44:00 PM »

Pompous SOB's. Sounds like in their opinion, they want to turn us into the Collective. Most of my most memorable experiences playing vids have come offline. The creepy language in which they spoke, makes them sound like arrogant pricks, and us like ignorant toddlers. Ralph and Peter could both be dropped into a barrel full of boobs, and come up sucking their own thumbs. Offline will always be the primary, and online just a great accessory.

This post has been edited by griffin XXI: Feb 10 2006, 09:01 PM

crobar

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 12:58:00 PM »

Linear entertainment in single-player is to media what masturbation is to sex," Butler said. "It'll always be there, but it is not the real experience."

sooo if i read books,  paint pictures, draw, watch tv  watch a movie ...by myself... thats not the real experiance cause i do it alone?

alot of things in life are  meant soley for one person to experiance at a time...

how annoying would it be if you wanted to anything alone but only had the option to do it  it with everyone around you...

shodanjr_gr

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 01:01:00 PM »

"Linear entertainment in single-player is to media what masturbation is to sex," Butler said. "It'll always be there, but it is not the real experience."

That line cracked me up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

JoBlo69

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 01:32:00 PM »

hahahaha i lke the part about sex.... makes me think that gamers never get any... hahahahahaha (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

teknow

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 01:50:00 PM »

The single-player game is a strange mutant monster which has only existed for 21 years and is about to go away because it is unnatural and abnormal."

Resistance is Futile!  You shall all be assimilated.

Sounds like our boys are exhibiting some strong behavior indicating autophobia.  Now... seriously this is disgusting marketing which I just can't imagine anyone taking seriously; so over the top.

QUOTE(crobar @ Feb 10 2006, 02:58 PM) *

sooo if i read books,  paint pictures, draw, watch tv  watch a movie ...by myself... thats not the real experiance cause i do it alone?

alot of things in life are  meant soley for one person to experiance at a time...

how annoying would it be if you wanted to anything alone but only had the option to do it  it with everyone around you...

Yes... and for these guys to be purported geeks they are awfully social; it's a little counter intuitive.

ikecomp

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 02:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(crobar @ Feb 10 2006, 02:58 PM) *

I think you misunderstood what he was "trying" to saying. Not your fault since he really overgeneralized his point. When he said single player he was specifically talking about video games. You do not play a book, picture or tv even though they are other forms of entertainment. When you engage in those activities its not a game its just an interaction with a certain type of media. Also if you play a certain level on a video game you might have a totally different experience if you play it with someone else.

Another thing is that its not that hard to believe what moore said about downloading games. I mean we are already downloading 600 mb (and in the case of need for speed 900+ mb) demos off of live market place. With today's average internet speeds increasing all the time, its not that hard to believe that within the next 2 decades we might be able to download an entire game directly to our game system hard drives in no time.

But what the other guy said about the "single player monster going away because it is unnatural and abnormal"  that is just a load of BS. Some games are just meant for one person to enjoy. I know I wouldn't want to play a game like condemned with 3 other people.

erexx

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 02:32:00 PM »

"The single-player game is a strange mutant monster which has only existed for 21 years and is about to go away because it is unnatural and abnormal."

Unnatural?
WTF is this guy talking about?
I would certainly never watch a movie alone because itÂ’s inhuman and abnormal...  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

What an @ssHole.
A good over bearing generalization deserves another.
This guy has no idea how far his head is up his @ss.

I find these statements about gaming experiences and gamers extremely offensive.

akodoreign

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 02:40:00 PM »

This guy definatly is addicted to Super Smash Brothers. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

mrumpley

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 03:28:00 PM »

These guys are so full of themselves and the money that they want to make through online gaming that they are ignoring the majority of gamers.  I quit playing online when I realized how rampant cheating was, and I still hear about those problems.  I really do enjoy playing by myself.  Maybe I'm just 'masterbating', but it is better than having 'sex' with a whore with 'crabs'.   (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

snakemeat

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 04:19:00 PM »

This is so ridiculous.  Single player doesn't reap the monthly subscription fees they love.  How much would they hype the online gaming if it were free?  Thank god the PC multiplayer is still free.  I wonder if they'd ever let private users run their own servers?  The same way PC users can.

Ohm

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 05:32:00 PM »

"People always play games together."

Then give us games where we can play together for real - give us good offline multiplayer/co-op games! ONLINE is the substitute for the joy of being together in space.

Anyhow, I believe in loving yourself and they are full of BS. As somebody else, I was also thinking of books, movies and music etc which ppl for a looong time have made love with in solitude.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2006, 06:45:00 PM »

I'll tell you what, the day all games come without a single player mode is the day I stop buying new games.

I'm not the most social person but I enjoy the STORYTELLING aspect of a lot of single player games. Don't get me wrong I love the LIVE service, but downloadable content, leader-boards, gamer-scores, and achievements, are worth more to me then multi-player gaming.

Probably about 10% of my gaming experience is with other people, including playing over XBL..

The other day when I stop buying new games is when they stop giving me the option to receive a physical item for my money. Sorry but I can't spending more then $10 or so for numbers on silicone.

I'm all for adding options, I'm sure there are people who hate single player as much as they hate driving to the store, but don't go writing out the people who don't fall into that.

Besides they're trading the physical world social interaction, for social interaction piped through their own networks, which is REALLY the key here if you ask me.

US Nationalist

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 07:47:00 PM »

Wow, I have to say, that's quite an aggressive, bold and risky stance Moore is taking.

I've noticed that about all of the people who posted here strongly disagree with his statements.  Well, in my opinion, first off, maybe he overexaggerated it a little bit.  There won't be a time when we only play online games, at least not for a long, long while.  Too many people don't even have broadband yet (until X > 90%, too many people are without broadband, and my personal prediction is that X > 90% won't happen until about 10-15 years from now).  There's always going to be people who want a single-player storyline to the games, like symphony above, which is understandable.  We all have our own preferences on how we want our gaming experience to be.  I've always said from the first couple days I got an xbox, that online gaming is eventually going to become the utilitarian force in terms of how we play.  Online play is just a whole different ball game; you play against or with actual people, you can converse with them via voice chat, and the inherent competitive aspect of it is what really sets it apart from the offline experience.  Things like cheating, lag, etc., though, is what deters some people from currently embracing online gameplay at its fullest.  So, until something is done about those problems, online play isn't going to be as popular as it could be.  With that said, that about sums up my view on this.