xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Japanese Gamers Speak about Xbox 360  (Read 232 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Japanese Gamers Speak about Xbox 360
« on: December 16, 2005, 09:05:00 PM »

Japanese Gamers Speak about Xbox 360-- Posted by XanTium on December 16 22:58 EST
There have been enough western press and research firms telling us how the Xbox 360 Launch went in Japan, but what do the Japanese say?

From spong.com:

No one really seems to know what the Japanese gaming community makes of the western aggressor/courtier Microsoft and its new console. We decided that the best thing to do would be to ask.
Interestingly, the main vibe is upbeat, belying sluggish sales and the Western media's thinly disguised glee at what on the surface seems a botched venture. Though from the selection of gamers we spoke to, most are willing to buy into the 360 - when the right software arises and interestingly, several claimed the marketing support for the 360 didn't get the message across...
"There's nothing special about the way Microsoft promotes 360. Many softcore gamers don't care for high specs or high definition," one gamer said. "Microsoft in Japan didn't really explain what Xbox 360 is capable of," commented another. " The main reason why Japanese people weren't attracted to Xbox and 360 was that the promotion was terrible. Bad promotion, yet pretty expensive compared to other game systems."
Read more on spong.com.

From kotaku.com:

The 360 launch was some sort of second coming in the US. Folks lined up all night to get these "rare" consoles. Bill Gates and Co. put in appearances. The hype machine was in full effect. Japan, however, could have cared less. Consoles sat unloved on shelves, and few stood in line. Japan laughed in Microsoft's face, and it was insulting to all those American and European gamers who lined-up all night or shelled out big Ebay bucks for a console. The land of the rising sun just didn't care and had the 360s to prove it.
Instead of thinking, "well, effe them," people starting second guessing the 360. Maybe, the Japanese are right. Maybe this is the new Dreamcast. Maybe this console doesn't shit candy canes after all. Japan is the country that gave us the NES and the PlayStation. If anyone, they should know a good gaming system when they see one. Msoft needed the Japanese; the company needed them to validate their next generation console. Because, we all know that few in the US are going to turn their backs on next gen PlayStation or Nintendo. American gamers, it seems, are one insecure lot.
Read more on kotaku.com and kotaku.com[pdf of printed article]

prankfurter

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 09:54:00 PM »

intresting... but am i the only one that feels kotaku.com really loves spreading FUD?

needless micorosft really needs to get some of those jap devolped games out there... 99nights, lost oddesy, blue dragon, doa 4, enchament arm, ect ect

This post has been edited by prankfurter: Dec 17 2005, 05:54 AM

Antioch

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 10:01:00 PM »

Damn. Im sitting here in Japan and I still don't know if I should buy a Japanese 360 or not. It seems too difficult a decision to make right now. One game I really want to play is the new Ghost Recon, but who knows if that will come out in Japan.

ikecomp

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 09:55:00 PM »

Yeah, the first article was objective and gave suggestions that MS execs might want to take stock in. The second article seemed more like a misguided angry opinion.

"Because, we all know that few in the US are going to turn their backs on next gen PlayStation or Nintendo. American gamers, it seems, are one insecure lot."

And how are american gamers insecure for wanting to buy the PS3 and Revolution?  huh.gif

Piska

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 10:23:00 PM »

Maybe it’s because I don’t watch much TV but other then reading the news from Xbox-scene I felt no real hype about the Xbox 360 in the US either. It could be that or it could just be that I am growing out of gaming who knows. The most fun part about my Xbox other then the many nights of multiplayer halo parties was the process of moddnig it and learning how it worked. Well that’s just me but I thought I would drop it out there as another point of discussion.

Deftech

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 10:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(Piska @ Dec 17 2005, 12:23 AM) View Post

Maybe it’s because I don’t watch much TV but other then reading the news from Xbox-scene I felt no real hype about the Xbox 360 in the US either. It could be that or it could just be that I am growing out of gaming who knows. The most fun part about my Xbox other then the many nights of multiplayer halo parties was the process of moddnig it and learning how it worked. Well that’s just me but I thought I would drop it out there as another point of discussion.

uhh.gif

blink.gif

unsure.gif

Youre kidding right?

ZildjianKX

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 10:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(Deftech @ Dec 16 2005, 09:40 PM) View Post

uhh.gif

blink.gif

unsure.gif

Youre kidding right?

He's not alone, I think the marketing sucked in the US.  Very few TV spots, and they all were lame.  The Mountain Dew sweepstakes was almost their entire marketing, and that didn't even mention all the system could do.

Personally, I thought they wanted the Xbox 360 to be a success in Japan to pick up more Japanese developers... but for some reason I haven't heard that argument made.

Deftech

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 10:58:00 PM »

They didnt need commercials as the hype was already there. I think we are misunderstanding one another...

Complaining about a lack of marketing is one thing....

Saying you noticed no hype across the country, like he did, is a whole different story  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

The hype was there, they didnt need to ramp it up. Can you walk into a store and buy one? Point made.

This post has been edited by Deftech: Dec 17 2005, 06:59 AM

Virtucon

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 11:16:00 PM »

I'm not saying Japanese game companies don't make good games.  but I think every year they become less and less relavent.  past few years: Halo, Splintercell, Doom, Farcry, Halflife, Ghost recon, Rainbow 6, Prince of Persia, Star Wars KOTOR, Madden, Deus ex, Call of Duty, Riddick, GTA, Fable, Oddworld, Burnout, Tony Hawk, Neverwinter Nights, Unreal, Warcraft.  none to my knowlege were made in Japan.  I would say 9 of every 10 hit game in the US in NOT from Japan.  (look at all the Ubisoft games!)

now they do have their Final fantay, Resident evil, metel gear, and 1,000,000 plus fighting games, oh and ninja gaiden.  but these publishers and developers are already onboard for 360, which is great, but having the consumers is just icing on the cake.  If the Japanese public doesn't want to buy a 360, so what.  they are a very small percentage of the worlds market.

why I am pissed is because I can't find a 360 for retail price and they don't want them.

edit: I didn’t mention any Sony or Nintendo games because, although many are great, they have no relevance when talking about the Xbox 360

This post has been edited by Virtucon: Dec 17 2005, 07:23 AM

tracemhunter

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 11:17:00 PM »

if they used those same stupid "jump in" commercials in japan, i dont blame them for not buying the 360. the commercial had nothing to do with the system, didnt show its capabilities, and it didnt show the games. all it showed was some people having a water balloon fight or jumping rope. there is the pgr3 and cod2 commercials here but i dont even think those aired until after launch. i'm not positive on that though.

thund3rcat

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 11:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(Virtucon @ Dec 17 2005, 07:16 AM) View Post

If the Japanese public doesn't want to buy a 360, so what.  they are a very small percentage of the worlds market.

ohmy.gif

Virtucon

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2005, 11:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(tracemhunter @ Dec 17 2005, 07:17 AM) View Post

if they used those same stupid "jump in" commercials in japan, i dont blame them for not buying the 360. the commercial had nothing to do with the system, didnt show its capabilities, and it didnt show the games. all it showed was some people having a water balloon fight or jumping rope. there is the pgr3 and cod2 commercials here but i dont even think those aired until after launch. i'm not positive on that though.

on that subject
I think most gaming related commercials are awful.  many never show any in-game footage, a few don't show any game footage at all.  I just don't get it.  How can they possibly think it is good marketing to show 100% fluff and no real content.  if people are having so much fun jumpropeing then why the heck do you need an xbox 360?  why spend $400 when you can spend 25 cents and get just as much fun.

gordita37

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2005, 12:19:00 AM »

QUOTE(Deftech @ Dec 17 2005, 06:58 AM) View Post

Can you walk into a store and buy one? Point made.

Has my target or kmart gotten shipment since launch? Point made. Dont get me wrong, im on you're side, but its not like stores are getting hundreds and all sold out, just 20 maybe more for other places. Yes there was a big enough hype, now please dont hurt me mr. Deftech sir unsure.gif

Deftech

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2005, 01:19:00 AM »

QUOTE(gordita37 @ Dec 17 2005, 02:26 AM) View Post

Has my target or kmart gotten shipment since launch? Point made. Dont get me wrong, im on you're side, but its not like stores are getting hundreds and all sold out, just 20 maybe more for other places. Yes there was a big enough hype, now please dont hurt me mr. Deftech sir unsure.gif

so you think that if your local Best Buy was getting 150 instead of 30 thus sunday, they wouldnt all sell out fast?  

laugh.gif

MS could have had 3 million ready for launch on the 22nd and they all would have sold that weekend. Same goes for Europe.

I visited 12 stores between 6 and 8pm that monday night, and there were hundreds of people at each store, when they only had 20 to 30 available.

how can someone say there was no hype in the US?

commercials and marketing? Not really...

Hype? Yes

rolleyes.gif

statement

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2005, 05:43:00 AM »

well maybe the reason why people line up to get xbox360
is because MOD chip on xbox 1 i think with what other console could you pirate games from HD easily what other console you could run media player N64 enulators come on if the high end geek like it that normal noob next door will want to get it too  ( i got a friend who got the Xbox 360 just dreaming of what can be done when mod chips appear  but mod chips are 7 months to a 1 year out the first verison with limited funcions.  and you never know it could take longer

if you campare xbox 360 with PS3  they both have Hard Drive not really interested in console games i can't play with damm controller but PS3 has more horse power + blue-ray + 100Mb network  it be an asome media player   outputing @ 1080p and from time to time i can play some games.  ( you think sony will introduce mouse and keyboard to punish M$ market share on PC gaming  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)  i hope so

what to do with your Xbox 1? you ask : http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article150-page1.php (-fileserver-)
hahahaha SMB is compatible with the xbox 360 media extender correct why have your PC 260watt on all day when you can have a 90watt system on all day and saving the environment and you some $$$

so i guess what i'm trying to say Xbox/360 has lost it's advantage so ill just wait for PS3 and see what system is better in brute force and picture quality in HD play back and gaming

and i really like the FREE online/free multiplayer without giving more $$ to M$
it will be some what like gamespy arcade for PC i guess  few tweaks and it be great

This post has been edited by statement: Dec 17 2005, 02:04 PM
Pages: [1] 2