xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Core System is critical to global market - Moore  (Read 247 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Core System is critical to global market - Moore
« on: December 12, 2005, 10:47:00 AM »

Xbox 360 Core System is critical to global market - Moore-- Posted by XanTium on December 12 12:40 EST
From gamesindustry.biz:

Speaking to US website 1UP on the eve of the Japanese launch, which took place on Saturday, Moore said that the Core System - which retails for UKP 209.99 and consists of a bare bones Xbox 360 without a hard disk - was important going into countries like China, Russia, India, Poland, Hungary and Latvia. "Those are markets we're going in. We're going to globalise this industry, and price becomes a big issue."
"[W]e need to offer cascading price points in 2008, 2009, 2010, to bring in tens of millions of gamers each year. And the flexibility the Core System versus the Premium SKU gives, is that," he added.

Read More: gamesindustry.biz

Joergen

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 10:55:00 AM »

And apparently Mr Moore has not done his homework. The former eastern block people value quality over price, and would much rather buy the better value for money than the slashed price "fur hat" version.

The Core is nothing but a way for MS to cut the price of the system to near 200 next fall and say their console sells from "199" when the PS3 sells for 500.

MicroMods

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 11:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(Joergen @ Dec 12 2005, 12:55 PM) *

The Core is nothing but a way for MS to cut the price of the system to near 200 next fall and say their console sells from "199" when the PS3 sells for 500.

Agreed

slcsnkman

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 11:13:00 AM »

QUOTE(MicroMods @ Dec 12 2005, 11:10 AM) *

Agreed

Who gives a shit what the core system means and what its priced.  Its lelling like a mother right now.  I think it is so funny people are boycotting the core system. Shut the fuck up and buy the version that best suits you  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)

jude

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 11:26:00 AM »

Loosely connected with this does anybody know if you can use external usb devices to save game to, instead of 64mb cards which are a ripoff, for 30 quid imo.

joeyddr

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 11:27:00 AM »

some of us could only snag a core system, like me. but i went out and baught a hard drive and extra cotnroller.
not core anymore (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

redwolf

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 11:45:00 AM »

they should have shipped the Core system to Japan  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)  and gave the US and EU the premium system, as we need it more then anyone  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/muhaha.gif)

edit:

We need to offer cascading price points in 2008, 2009, 2010, to bring in tens of millions of gamers each year

i doubt X360 will last in the market that long (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

This post has been edited by redwolf: Dec 12 2005, 07:46 PM

MicroMods

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 11:53:00 AM »

QUOTE(slcsnkman @ Dec 12 2005, 01:13 PM) *

Who gives a shit what the core system means and what its priced.  Its lelling like a mother right now.  I think it is so funny people are boycotting the core system. Shut the fuck up and buy the version that best suits you  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)

Whoa, chill there chief.

Most of the Cores have sold because people didn't have the option of buying a Premium. I would've bought a Core on launch if there were no more Premiums left. Thankfully that was not the case.

But it is a good marketing strategy for MS.

slcsnkman

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 12:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(MicroMods @ Dec 12 2005, 11:53 AM) *

Whoa, chill there chief.

Most of the Cores have sold because people didn't have the option of buying a Premium. I would've bought a Core on launch if there were no more Premiums left. Thankfully that was not the case.

But it is a good marketing strategy for MS.

I just dont see the big issue here....100's of companies do this on products every day..and now MS does and everyone is upset?  Whatever

bobbler

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 12:45:00 PM »

I got a core, bit of a mistake on my girlfriends side when she ordered it for my birthday.
No bother though, just bought the hard disk, VGA lead and wireless controller (which I would need on either package for 2 player fun). Dont know what the fuss is TBH, people are paying more on ebay for the privelage of a silver cd tray than making a core pack into a premium pack would cost. WTF?!

rfmok

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 02:08:00 PM »

I think its funny.  Sega and Nintendo have been selling deluxe and core systems for years.  I remember when the snes first came out, it included 2 controllers and super mario world.  Then later they started only including one controller and no game.  Since then, most systems included just the console and one controller.  Then later, Sony decided to include a demo disk but then that eventually stopped lol.

In all honesty there's really nothing wrong with a core system.  It's really just hype.  Sure, the premium will get a big bang out of your dollar...for now, but later down the road it will be irrelevant as the price for accessories will fall too.  You're trying to tell me the media remote is a must have?  lol

I got a core and a hard drive and I'm very happy.  I don't even really use the hard drive too much for xbox games as of now because of the compatibility list is still very small.  I just don't like how they made the disc drives different.  I think thats what's really pissing people off the most because you can distinguish which xbox bundle you have.  So people are bashing and making fun if you if don't have the chrome plate.  I think the bashing will stop in 2006 though once the 360's are common.  I also think modders will make decals that will cover the core disc drives and make them all the cooler. :-p.

So if you have a core, more power to you.  If you have a premium, same goes to you.  Both can do the same thing!  I was waiting in line for a premium and could only go with a core, I didnt pass on that opportunity and I'm glad I took advantage of it!  

Example:  Oh wow man, you have the big 'ole bulky ps2!  I got the slim ps2 so there! lol..nobody cares!  In time, it won't matter because prices will change dramatically!

Anyways, my 2 cents.  Peace!

rfmok

Zingy

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 03:01:00 PM »

People fail to realize that not everyone lives in North America.

asnpcwiz

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005, 03:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(Zingy @ Dec 12 2005, 05:01 PM) *

People fail to realize that not everyone lives in North America.

What?!?!?  Who doesn't life in North America?!?!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Whatever the reason, I think it was a smart strategy.  At the very least you could buy a 360 and a game for under $400.  All the other add-ons the premium come with are really just bonuses....you can get those later.

Urbansquid

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2005, 04:55:00 PM »

The core unit is nothing more than a money grab ploy by MS, and one that only ends up hurting the consumer in more ways than one. After your purchase your 'core' unit you must shell out close to half the price of the hard disc for a (64 mb!?) memory unit (keeping in mind your <$20 128mb generic usb stick will not save games or even store live info). Of course you will also want to get a wireless controller, right? 50 more bucks. What a freaking joke this is.

And if keeping a low price point was the main concern of the Xbox team wouldn't MS want to keep game prices deflated? Rather, you can expect to drop at least 60 clams a pop for your DVD-9 media software. MS could have locked up the market by (maybe) taking a initial hit on the boxes and especially the accessories, the consumer would have benifited by having a hard drive in every console and not having to hemmorage cash at every turn. Of course that isn't how Redmond works.

money money money money.... MONEY

As an aside, you can still purchase a slim PS2 and Guitar Hero (the two controller bundle no less), for much less than the price of the 'core unit'. As a fellow gamer I gaurantee you will get several times more play/fun out of this bundle than any XB360 game coming down the pipe within the next 6 months/year...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy.gif)

SupremeMods

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2005, 08:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(Urbansquid @ Dec 12 2005, 06:55 PM) *

money money money money.... MONEY

What else is the goal of the corporation? Good morning, this isn't a charity.

FYI: http://www.thecorporation.com/