xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Lik-Sang Real-Life Report of Xbox 360 Japanese Launch  (Read 206 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Lik-Sang Real-Life Report of Xbox 360 Japanese Launch
« on: December 11, 2005, 02:20:00 PM »

Lik-Sang Real-Life Report  of Xbox 360 Japanese Launch-- Posted by XanTium on December 11 16:13 EST
Lik-Sang has a great report (by Tim Rogers) of the official Japanese Xbox 360 launch event at Tsutaya in Shibuya with tons of pictures and 153MB worth of video. We already talked about the event in earlier news, but this huge article contains more 'real-life' un-cut info and some funny details:

Event which was embarrassingly anticipated with much lower expectations in Japan than in the western world, analysts predicting the 360 to be yet another big flop for Microsoft in the mother country of video games. Tim Rogers, who braved the cold and went on "36 hours without sleep mode" again for the occasion, reported a situation that fits with what we all came to expect: there wasn't such a big of a party going on and it was incomparable with crazy release days that Japan is known for when it comes to a new PlayStation, a new Nintendo system or even a new Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy opus.

Tim Rogers reports: "We -- that is, me, Tim Rogers, my friend Francis "Chuck" Franklin-Dorstervelt, Matt, Israel, and Jake all met in front of the Xbox lounge at a little before seven-thirty. Our goal was to go inside and shoot a little video of the games and the really hip look of the place. Well, that wasn't going to happen: they'd locked the place down. The reason was because they were planning a party, some kind of countdown to the launch. They weren't letting us near the door. The window shades were down. We loitered around outside, got a little angry, and headed down Tokyo Highway Route 246, headed for Shibuya. We ended up in front of the Tsutaya store -- where, uh, nobody was doing anything. There was no one in line, nothing going on. We went inside and went upstairs, and saw a few new-release Sony PlayStation 2 titles (the wonderful Ryu ga Gotoku and amazing Rogue Galaxy -- both worth importing, you know. Go ahead, buy them!) hogging all of peoples' attention. We shot a video of four Japanese people lined up to play Mario Kart on DS . . . and no one touching the 360. Hmmm."

Check out the full report with videos and images on the Lik-Sang Forums.

lileclerc20

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 02:24:00 PM »

selling games to people who doen't play games?  hmm...  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy.gif)

Zingy

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 04:54:00 PM »

MS should just forget about Japan.  Stick to the rest of the world, where they aren't stopped by patriotic consumerism.

Joergen

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 05:14:00 PM »

What MS should do is dump money on the devs to get the hottest japanese game titles X360 exclusives, then not allow them to sell them over there. Make them want the system and games real badly but not let them have any. They can afford it, and they can afford to shut the devs up too. Ha!

babanoosh

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 05:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(Zingy @ Dec 11 2005, 05:54 PM) *

MS should just forget about Japan.  Stick to the rest of the world, where they aren't stopped by patriotic consumerism.

iPOD is a hot ticket in Japan. EVERYONE has one. American blue jeans are popular too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by babanoosh: Dec 12 2005, 01:16 AM

pwelico

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 05:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(Zingy @ Dec 12 2005, 12:54 AM) *

I Agree, imagine if the U.S. acted the same way

Jason9875

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 05:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(Zingy @ Dec 11 2005, 04:54 PM) *

Maybe just maybe they don't like the games the xbox 360 has.

what a crazy idea, someone not liking the D+ games the xbox 360 has, and not being willing to pay $400 for them.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

THOSE CRAZY PEOPLE!

SonnyMarrow

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 05:27:00 PM »

iPod sells because there really isn't anything else that can compete. Can you imagine if the US acted the same way towards Japan? Japan would collapse.

Gbeav

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2005, 05:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(SonnyMarrow @ Dec 11 2005, 05:27 PM) *

iPod sells because there really isn't anything else that can compete. Can you imagine if the US acted the same way towards Japan? Japan would collapse.

It's a freeking console game, why the anger!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

babanoosh

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2005, 05:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(SonnyMarrow @ Dec 11 2005, 06:27 PM) *

Uhh... Sony? And I'm sure there is plenty more boutique type mp3 players too, not too mention mp3 player phones. Japanese aren't really anti-American if that's what you mean. I lived there for years and I've seen many that love anything American. For one, people travel around a lot and don't stay at home. That's probably part of it. Second, it's been getting a lot of negative press where I'm sure many are aware of too. 3rd, Japanese aren't a cutting edge game graphics kind of crowd (on the whole). You can go to many arcades to this day and still see people playing SNK, Street Fighter, and other 2d fighters. Lastly, have you noticed any of the 360 games or are you still in new toy shell shock. I think PGR is pretty cool, but I found PD0 just made me long to go play HL2. Heck, I'm pondering selling my own 360 and waiting. IMO, There are far better games to be playing right now. I haven't even gotten started on Civilization 4 or FEAR on the PC and Gauntlet Seven Sorrow (xbox) is out on Tuesday.

3rd, if you think the Japanese economy is any more dependent on the US then the US economy is to them, you're really at a loss. Huge co-dependence,; economically, politically and militarily.

This post has been edited by babanoosh: Dec 12 2005, 01:53 AM

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2005, 06:05:00 PM »

lol.......I knew this was gonna happen! those ungrateful fuckers!! How could you expect ppl that dont even give games like prince of persia or halo a chance to appreciate a good console!? So as a result of this bullshit we have to suffer huge shortages! I said it months ago that MS should concentrate on ppl that actually appreciate their work, now look what happen. I just hope this leads to more consoles in the US cause im trying to buy two more 360s. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleep.gif)

Altima NEO

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2005, 06:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(Jason9875 @ Dec 11 2005, 04:26 PM) *

Maybe just maybe they don't like the games the xbox 360 has.

what a crazy idea, someone not liking the D+ games the xbox 360 has, and not being willing to pay $400 for them.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

THOSE CRAZY PEOPLE!

Isnt the Japanese 360 a little over $300?

Anyway, yeah, theres no real "spectacular" games for 360 right now
While we here love our 360, the sony fanboy country known as japan is more enthused about ps2 games at the moment.

Oh, and I supposed this is a perfect time to import japanese 360s, since no one over there wants em.

This post has been edited by Altima NEO: Dec 12 2005, 02:14 AM

derived

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2005, 07:07:00 PM »

The Japanese bundles are a premium pack for ~$314 USD with Final Fantasy XI beta.

FFXI is one japanese game that should be popular.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2005, 03:26:00 AM »

I don't believe it's the consumers that are pushing the anti-MS attitude: It's the retailers.

It's the same in the UK. Game, on of the largest console retail outlets recently released a Xmas catalogue. Almost every game shown was featured on the PS2, even though the Xbox version was available (and better). You then get to the console section and the very first console, taking up a massive 2 pages was the PS2 - quote "The very best in home entertainment!". Where was the Xbox? A page from the back, sporting a 3/4 page advert. The Xbox 360 - the biggest thing to happen to the console market in years - took a 1/2 page slot right at the back.

What chance do the consumers have when they're fed bullshit like this? This is a widespread attitude by the way, doing nothing for other consoles let alone the '360.

Martin

xymor

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2005, 06:14:00 AM »

Probably they are waiting until MS releases Xbox360 SP1 with the bugs corrections or waiting to compare it to the PS3(with exclusive Rootkit® technology) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)