xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Using Angerwounds "theory" - I Am Back On Live  (Read 328 times)

zoomer777

• Archived User
Using Angerwounds "theory" - I Am Back On Live
« on: November 19, 2004, 11:00:00 PM »

Since everyone out there is spitting out theories on the reasons why, and very few seem to know what they are doing...it's crazy to assume anyone is "right"

Stop the following statements:

"I think M$ is scanning LPC points via software to find modchips..."

or

"I think the 'marriage' theory is the best idea for why we are banned!"

or

"(insert random unconfirmed theory here)"

We seem to all be approaching this in the least organized way possible.  Kind of like blugeoning the scientific method until you get results.  If enough people are beating it, then maybe we will get answers!

Anyways, enough ranting.  I just wanted to post my procedure for getting myself back online WITHOUT restoring a stock HD, or setting up dual hard drives, etc.

My goals:

Maintain dual functionality of my xbox - hard-switched, able to work with modded, or in retail mode to play on live.  

Keep the original upgraded hard drive in place...no purchase of a new hard drive, no pulling out the old clunky 8 gigger to put back in place!

I am sure there are other goals here, but they all kind of revolve around maintaining the natural order of things I've established on my box.

OK, so I have been scrounging to find legitimate answers to this, and due to hard earned faith of the xbox-scene folks, went with AngerWounds work combined with some other advice.  This involves a new HDD Key, and a clean C: and E: partition.

My steps to success so far:

1)  Cleaned up C: - using Slayer's 2.6 installer disc to restore it "factory" condition
2)  Cleaned up E: - removing all extraneous files to TDATA, UDATA, and CACHE (the contents of CACHE were deleted)
3)  Using the retail mode, I went into the memory management and removed saves from programs that aren't retail (for example, XBMC saves program settings in here!).  I also deleted my XBLive account (Gamer Tag).
4)  Installed EVOX to F: using Slayer's magical installer
5)  Flashed my mod bios to X4981.06 that checks F: first in the boot order!

****The above is essentially a "shadow" install job, which I did not previously have.  EVOX used to be on my C: partition, and E: had all sorts of extraneous non-retail apps with data in it!  Many of you may already have done "shadow" install jobs - so are one step ahead of me here. *****

6)  Once in dual boot mode with a shadow install job, I opened ConfigMagic, and unlocked the HD.  Using a new EEPROM, purchased from a seller, I reprogrammed my HD with the new info.  I made sure to note the HDD Key and Online Key before and after the update, to ensure a completely new EEPROM programmed both these fields!  Once satisfied, I locked the HD, and exited ConfigMagic.
7)  I boot into retail mode, and created a new XBLive account using the 2-month trial.  I figured that if my box was banned, I wouldn't even connect to be able to set up a new account!!
8)  Once a new account was set up, I fired up Halo, and PRESTO, everything was working as should be.  I signed on and off a few times, and so far, so good!

I'll be checking over the next few days and posting to let anyone know if I get "re-banned" or if I am still able to play online.

My box is an Xbox Ver 1.0 (ancient) with an X2-Lite 2.1 Mod chip in it!  I have a 100GB upgraded hard drive that has been faithfully in place for practically 2 years!

Before all this, I was NOT receiving a MODIFIED XBOX error; I just simply got a message that said "Can Not Find Xbox Live"...makes it sound like it was a connection issue (which it wasn't!).  Now everything is sailing smoothly.

Angerwound

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 11:04:00 PM »

I'm glad to see everything worked out for you. We can only wait and see if you do get banned again. Based on the procedure you detailed I find it highly unlikely however.

Anyhow, keep me updated.

zoomer777

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 11:06:00 PM »

Couple of extra things here:

One, I wanted a new account with XB Live because I feared that, if they flagged my last account, they would subject it to additional scrutiny, therefore, they may scan my C: and E: drives to check for evidence of modification.  Since I have cleaned these partitions up, it isn't a problem JUST YET.  But since most mod/homebrew apps store info in the E: parition, it's only a matter of time.  My old account was expiring in the next few days anyways, so I'm fortunate on that one (it's also linked to an expired credit card)!

Second, mod-software developers, this one's for you...especially the good folks at XBMC.  Please write your code to save info on the F: partition!  Writing the stuff on E: is no longer "safe".  I know that XBMC writes it's settings.xml file here, which is necessary for the software to run.  I really am unaware of a work-around at this point.  If anyone knows how, please share.

Other than that, I will just need to excercise discipline in making sure that E: stays clean (manual deletions).

Oh yeah, and a final note, thanks AngerWound for all your work and testing to help us figure this out.  Keep it up!

This post has been edited by zoomer777: Nov 20 2004, 07:08 AM

tylercal

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 11:14:00 PM »

Hey, heres an idea to test the theory. Get a banned xbox, clean out the hard drive, and flash a completely new eeprom onto it. Try to connect. If angerwound is right it should connect. Now change the HD key only back to that of the OLD banned eeprom. It should give a banned error message. This would prove the theory beyond doubt.

Angerwound

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 11:11:00 PM »

I performed that exact procedure, that is what brought me to my conclusion about the HDD Key. tongue.gif

zoomer777

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 11:34:00 PM »

I could easily manually punch in the HDD Key from my previous EEPROM using ConfigMagic, and see if the result is a "Can Not Find Xbox Live" or a "modified xbox error".  I am just too much of a wimp right now to try that.   :o  

prplehz

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2004, 11:57:00 PM »

Is there any easy way to read the contents of eeprom with a program besides config magic, preferably pc app.?

Angerwound

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2004, 12:36:00 AM »

LiveInfo for the pc will open or build eeproms for you.

-Gadget-

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2004, 05:41:00 AM »

FFS ....
do people not READ !!

we have confirmed this working like a zillion times ..
the KEY factor in WHY u are still not banned is because

7) I boot into retail mode, and created a new XBLive account using the 2-month trial. I figured that if my box was banned, I wouldn't even connect to be able to set up a new account!!

so to them u are a new cusomer, and thus u have not been previously banned
and thus, u do not go any 'extra' checks that the flagged GT's get
THIS is why you are not getting banned ...
all you really had to do was the eeprom backup, and a new GT ..
(as this changes everything they check, when considering a first ban)

this would of been a totally diferent story if ya didnt get a new GT
althou what ya could do... once ya pleased with ya coonfig IS NOT getting banned..
delete that GT, and put ya Old banned GT back on and try
now THAT would be a experiment :) and worth posting !

And the reason u initially got kicked/banned was because of ya upgraded HDD after u initially signed up for live. (the marriage theory)

Mick ...

-Gadget-

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2004, 05:36:00 AM »

QUOTE (zoomer777 @ Nov 20 2004, 08:30 AM)
I could easily manually punch in the HDD Key from my previous EEPROM using ConfigMagic, and see if the result is a "Can Not Find Xbox Live" or a "modified xbox error".  I am just too much of a wimp right now to try that.   ohmy.gif

yes that would get ya banned 100%
because then ya would be breaking the marriage theory rule

if ya wanna do a experiment to help the scene do the one i mentioned above smile.gif

Mick ..

zoomer777

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2004, 10:02:00 AM »

I'll admit, "my" method doesn't narrow down the one specific item of banning.  A more "scientific" approach would be to change one item at a time to see which one exacts a change.  I figure that it sounds like Angerwound already did this for the rest of us by experimenting with the HDDKey.  

I'm not whole-heartedly convinced either that M$ isn't scanning C: and E: of every XBLive user occasionally to see if they have non-retail stuff on there, thus why cleaned those up.

Third, if the above is true, then opening a new GT/XBLive Account is pointless, but if it isn't, and they only scan "flagged" xbox's, then I made myself "double-safe".

As soon as apps that save all their data to the E: drive find a new place to put it (F: please!), then I will definitely test out using my old GT - but I doubt this will happen before that account expires.

I may just grab my balls and do it for the rest of you guys anyways smile.gif

I really think my issue is that my HDDKey was banned - I never got the "modified xbox error" message, just a connection issue - "could not find xbox live"...this was on the troubleshooting page, which had nothing to do with my xb live account!  Really makes me believe the HDDKey was being banned from access.

dalime

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2004, 11:27:00 AM »

6) Once in dual boot mode with a shadow install job, I opened ConfigMagic, and unlocked the HD. Using a new EEPROM, purchased from a seller, I reprogrammed my HD with the new info. I made sure to note the HDD Key and Online Key before and after the update, to ensure a completely new EEPROM programmed both these fields! Once satisfied, I locked the HD, and exited ConfigMagic.

Hey Zoomer, can you clarify something for us?  When you say that you "reprogrammed the HDD w/ the new info" do you mean that you put in a whole new EEPROM entirely or did you just replace the HHD KEY of your banned EEPROM?

Does anybody know when the online key is generated?  Out of the factory or when you establish an account with Live?

zoomer777

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2004, 12:33:00 PM »

I actually programmed an entire new EEPROM to my drive.  I made a printout of the new BIN file's EEPROM info (CFG file) to ensure that reprogramming the EEPROM would also change the HDDKey.  I was under the impression that re-programming the EEPROM would not change the key!  Initially I thought after I reprogrammed, I would have to manually enter in the new "virgin" key by hand, but I didn't have to do this.

This post has been edited by zoomer777: Nov 20 2004, 08:34 PM

zoomer777

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2004, 12:06:00 AM »

Just had a good night of playing H2...since I got "unbanned" last night, it makes for over 24 hours.  Also, I started playing H2 after I used XBMC to watch a movie.  SO far, it's good news.  I have signed in and out several times, and also gone from mod to retail mode via flipswitch several times over.  All succesful.  I hope and pray this lasts for a long while!

ThaG

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2004, 02:01:00 AM »

Hello AngerWound, Zoomer,

I'm new to posting to the forum, but I've been reading it for a few weeks now.

I want to test this theory (but I will need a new eeprom first, so if you have one 1.0-1.5 jester.gif ).

I have one question.:
Do ya think they just flag the gamertags, or maybe the creditcard numbers also?

I ask this because I want to create a new GT (with my 2 months subscr), but with the same CC ID. (still have about a half year left on my old Live account - well, guess this is down the drain tongue.gif).

One more thing, maybe people should be warned about this:
I think I was banned doing the following:
- Use slayer 2.6 to create a retail setup (have my 8gb hd)
- Use the configmagic on the CDRW, backup my EEPROM
- After configmagic is closed, it says "press x to return to dashboard"
- Did this, but no EVOX dash on my HD, so it did NOT run my dashboard on the CDRW, but it run the MSdash (and automatic signin was on)!
--> So I run the MSdash - Xbox LIve with my chip on  mad.gif
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5