xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Live 2.0 - Questions And Answers  (Read 1125 times)

shanafan

• Archived User
Live 2.0 - Questions And Answers
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2003, 11:48:00 AM »

QUOTE (SD_DRACULA @ Sep 17 2003, 08:53 AM)
sorry if this was answered somewhere else, but i searched and found nothing on the forums.
if the live 2.0 update starts and you turn off the xbox or unplug the cable, what happens?
is the xbox f*cked? blink.gif

Probably. You turn it off when it is updating files on your Xbox HD, which can cause error 21 when you try to boot your Xbox with modchip off.

There is a reason it says "Please do not turn off your Xbox when updating"  wink.gif

Mordenkainen

• Archived User
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2003, 08:30:00 AM »

I had theorized at one point in the past that it was possible for MS to be pulling information, or running modchip checks on your system without your knowledge and without logging on to Live. Several people shot this idea down, and in a thread about the 2.0 update one eventually convinced people into updating to Live 2.0 because he claimed he "knew" it was safe, even for those with modchips.

Well in answer to this I have included a link to an article on the XBox Linux site that demonstrates that with at least one game MS IS collecting info about your XBox, even if not logged into live. It also shows that it is quite possible to communicate with the live servers without logging on.

I am not saying that MS is doing anything with this info, but it is quite clear that they could potentially detect you modchip even without logging on to live. They just aren't doing anything about it yet.

My advice is to block all traffic from your XBox when you have your chip enabled, or unplug the network line.

Xbox Phones Home

Morden.

shanafan

• Archived User
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2003, 09:43:00 AM »

QUOTE (Mordenkainen @ Sep 18 2003, 12:30 PM)
I had theorized at one point in the past that it was possible for MS to be pulling information, or running modchip checks on your system without your knowledge and without logging on to Live. Several people shot this idea down, and in a thread about the 2.0 update one eventually convinced people into updating to Live 2.0 because he claimed he "knew" it was safe, even for those with modchips.

Well in answer to this I have included a link to an article on the XBox Linux site that demonstrates that with at least one game MS IS collecting info about your XBox, even if not logged into live. It also shows that it is quite possible to communicate with the live servers without logging on.

I am not saying that MS is doing anything with this info, but it is quite clear that they could potentially detect you modchip even without logging on to live. They just aren't doing anything about it yet.

My advice is to block all traffic from your XBox when you have your chip enabled, or unplug the network line.

Xbox Phones Home

Morden.

Merging with Live 2.0 topic.

This has already been brought up.

xbox11334

• Archived User
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2003, 11:44:00 AM »

splinter cell, i 've been hearing all about this, is this game something special to get u banned or something, can i go on live with it??????  with my modchip off, or wut?

Thanks

but, so far, all of this is safe, as long as ur mochip is off, right???

mrRobinson

• Archived User
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2003, 01:30:00 PM »

QUOTE (xbox11334 @ Sep 18 2003, 03:44 PM)
splinter cell, i 've been hearing all about this, is this game something special to get u banned or something, can i go on live with it??????  with my modchip off, or wut?

Thanks

but, so far, all of this is safe, as long as ur mochip is off, right???

read what psycho_penguin just posted a few above this.  thats prob the best info you'll get.

EDIT: oh, psycho_penguin, anyway to mail me those ethereal logs?

xbox11334

• Archived User
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2003, 10:19:00 AM »

brute force asked me to update, i already have live 2.0? anyone else get this? i updated, and it said update complete, starting updated title...is this just becuz of live 2.0 compatibility or something?

muerte

• Archived User
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2003, 01:18:00 PM »

jester.gif

SD_DRACULA

• Archived User
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2003, 02:40:00 PM »

regarding my question a few post up.
if you turn off the xbox while its updating, you'll probably get an error 21 when you switch it back on.
but what if you ftp the original dash back on?
that should work right?
i mean if it works its a way to get back to the old dash if you updated by mistake right?

shanafan

• Archived User
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2003, 06:48:00 PM »

Guys, guys.

You can still play on Xbox Live in a game without updating. You have to go into the MS dash to get Live 2.0

Also, when a game says an update is needed, its properly just for the game. Its not Live 2.0 as of yet

Gromit

• Archived User
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2003, 08:02:00 PM »

QUOTE (muerte @ Sep 19 2003, 10:18 PM)
I'm not quite sure which one of those ports must be blocked, but my router is letting me play while not having to update to 2.0.  Sweet! jester.gif

What router are you using?  I can't get Live to update at all and my DSL modem is behind a Linksys wireless router.  I've been in the MS dashboard, checked my friends list, network settings, billing info, etc. but no update.  I downloaded content for Unreal Championship and Mech Assault.  Still no update (I've tried several times since this afternoon).

bearauto

• Archived User
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2003, 11:44:00 PM »

My apologies if it has been asked and answered, but I read a few pages of this thread and did not see this question:

When you finish updating LIVE, does the xbox reboot?  If so, and if your Matrix modchip is in mode 3, will the modchip be turned ON upon reboot?

muerte

• Archived User
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2003, 07:38:00 AM »

QUOTE (shanafan @ Sep 19 2003, 09:48 PM)
Guys, guys.

You can still play on Xbox Live in a game without updating. You have to go into the MS dash to get Live 2.0

Also, when a game says an update is needed, its properly just for the game. Its not Live 2.0 as of yet

shanafan,
i've gone into the dash and it hasn't updated smile.gif
- muerte  ph34r.gif

shanafan

• Archived User
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2003, 05:34:00 PM »

QUOTE (bearauto @ Sep 20 2003, 03:44 AM)
My apologies if it has been asked and answered, but I read a few pages of this thread and did not see this question:

When you finish updating LIVE, does the xbox reboot?  If so, and if your Matrix modchip is in mode 3, will the modchip be turned ON upon reboot?

No, the Xbox does not reboot. Live 2.0 automatically loads. So, your modchip will still be "off" (off as in it would still be in mode 3)

Kazaki

• Archived User
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2003, 11:51:00 AM »

QUOTE (shanafan @ Sep 13 2003, 06:04 AM)
I have read a lot of posts about Live 2.0, done my own testing, had the great help of others, and here are my results. This topic will cover a lot of questions about Live 2.0, and this topic will be periodically updated.

Last Updated: Saturday, September 20th

Lastest News
MS has pulled the Xbox Live update. MS has said that Live 2.0 is still not a complete product and has decided not to allow users to update to 2.0 from 1.0

Of course, those users who have Live 2.0 can still use it.

You know this is good reason to be paranoid again, right?  Everyone has their gaurd down... everyone feels safe in Live right now.  So, heh, what if they "complete" 2.0 and they put in a method to scan for chips?  No one would know...

And what's the point of banning someone playing on Live with their chip off and with no hacks?  If the chip is off and the person has no hacks, they're following the rules and banning them only means less money for MS...

elduke

• Archived User
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2003, 01:37:00 PM »

My brother's xbox has just been banned after playing splinter cell off his hard drive. He played the game before with no problems, even after updating his dash to 2.0.  He is absolutely certain that he didnt download any content or go anywhere near the xbox live button with his mod chip enabled. Has this happened to anyone else?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7