xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Live 2.0 - Questions And Answers  (Read 1052 times)

Sayten

• Archived User
Live 2.0 - Questions And Answers
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2003, 09:42:00 PM »

I read in another thread that someone thought that changing their hard drive after updating to Live 2.0 would get them banned. Has anyone changed their hard drive and can confirm or deny this ban method?

shanafan

• Archived User
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2003, 09:45:00 PM »

QUOTE (Sayten @ Sep 16 2003, 01:42 AM)
I read in another thread that someone thought that changing their hard drive after updating to Live 2.0 would get them banned. Has anyone changed their hard drive and can confirm or deny this ban method?

You won't get banned with an upgraded HD. Just follow the same rules with Live 1.0, but now turn off auto sign-in in the MS dash.

Psycho_Penguin

• Archived User
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2003, 12:11:00 AM »

QUOTE (Telemachus @ Sep 16 2003, 06:25 AM)
I think, from your conclusions, the safest way to run if you want to ALWAYS have the internet connected to the box is:

1) To remove all links to the XBL MSDASH (just in case someone wants to play with it) and use a pre-xboxlive dash link from EVOX for memory management, or just turn the chip off to manage memory/soundtracks.

2) Set a passcode for the XBL account, just in case someone tries to access XBL from a backup game.  

These are just precautions so that you, or someone else, can not make a silly mistake and get you banned.  I have done them on my BOX, and all seems to be working fine.

I'd consider that to currently be the safest way to prevent accidentally accessing XBL.

It's the way I use my Xbox as well.

Psycho_Penguin

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2003, 12:26:00 AM »

QUOTE (paulthims @ Sep 16 2003, 04:56 AM)
I, for one, feel more secure knowing that a network engineer has fully monitored what triggers traffic on boxes that have upgraded to Xbox Live v2.0.  

If you are anything like the network engineers I work with, there is likely little left to further ponder on this subject.  Nice work putting it to rest -- and thanks.

Thanks for the comments.

I was just curious what my XBox was upto, and while my tests are in no way exhaustive, they were performed in as much a test enviroment I could create at home though.

Overall I think the message is the same for XBL 2.0 as it was for using Live.

Becareful what you are doing, and keep away from XBL tabs when your mod-chip is enabled.

As extra precautions, don't use the MS Dash and passcode your GameTag.

paulthims

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2003, 05:43:00 AM »

QUOTE (Psycho_Penguin @ Sep 16 2003, 09:26 AM)
As extra precautions, don't use the MS Dash and passcode your GameTag.

Those are both wise precautions we all should take, as well as staying away from XBL menus in games that are backups.

As for my extra, yet simple, precaution: I keep my Xbox Live account (GameTag) stored on a $15 memory card -- inserting it into a controller only when I intend on connecting to XBL.  

Besides Network Settings and XBL Account Recovery/Create Account menus, I've yet to find a way to have my Xbox communicate with Xbox Live without an Xbox Live account (GameTag) present.  It appears an XBL account is necessary on the hard drive or an attached Memory Card in order for my Xbox to communicate with XBL in any area other than Network Settings and XBL Account Recovery/Create Account menus.

Mostly, I think everyone can be a lot less paranoid about Xbox Live v2.0.  We've determined that XBL v2.0 doesn't automatically connect to the Internet without our knowing.  It connects when we tell it to by using clearly identified menus: Network Settings, Xbox Live, Account Selection, etc.

Hitcher

• Archived User
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2003, 06:01:00 AM »

Careful with this... most games set the IP settings on their own, so even if EVOX has it set one way, as soon as you load up a backup, it will reset the IP to one that XBL can access.

I was wondering about this myself the other day, thanks for confirming it.

Telemachus

• Archived User
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2003, 07:34:00 AM »

QUOTE (Hitcher @ Sep 16 2003, 03:01 PM)
Careful with this... most games set the IP settings on their own, so even if EVOX has it set one way, as soon as you load up a backup, it will reset the IP to one that XBL can access.

I was wondering about this myself the other day, thanks for confirming it.

A good example of this, that we have all tried, is HALO.

Regardless of what you have EvoX set to, when you click on System Link, it sets the box to the 192.168.0.* IP network.

Telemachus

• Archived User
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2003, 07:36:00 AM »

XBOX Linux's new article implies that Splinter Cell is a "live aware" game that automatically logs on to live when it loads.

Although I like what they are trying to accomplish, I think that is a nasty thing to say.

Perhaps I read it wrong, but I think an untrue comment like that will only cause confusion and undue panic.

Telemachus

• Archived User
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2003, 10:22:00 AM »

Correct.

Just turn off the mod chip, and you will be fine.

Telemachus

• Archived User
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2003, 12:01:00 PM »

I too have ran Splinter Cell several times.

Very interesting stuff.

Maybe M$ is just collecting data?

shanafan

• Archived User
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2003, 12:57:00 PM »

wink.gif

Telemachus

• Archived User
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2003, 01:55:00 PM »

Strangest thing...  

While doing some testing, I decided to revert back to the Pre-XBL 2.0 dash.

I deleted the entire C drive, and replaced it with a backup of C I made the day before upgrading.

I have also tried 2 previous backups of C.

Each time, when I turn off the chip, it gives me an error 21.

Is there something on E that I need to delete (ie: a savegame)?

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe the HDD is not locked.  WIll try using Config Magic to make sure it is.

ANy thoughts?

shanafan

• Archived User
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2003, 01:56:00 PM »

Error 21 is dash related, not about a HD not being locked. Are you also replacing xboxdash.xbe with the old one?

Telemachus

• Archived User
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2003, 02:11:00 PM »

Hmmm... It was a problem with the fonts.  It appears that the ones I tried to delete from XBL 2.0 (did it even change the fonts??) were read only, and it wouldn't let me delete them.

Or maybe it was just something I had done on my own before.

Owell, it is back to normal now.

I have not yet heard the official line on whether or not it will make you re-download if you revert, so I will try it later and let you all know.

SD_DRACULA

• Archived User
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2003, 04:53:00 AM »

blink.gif
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7