xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: System Link Problem  (Read 88 times)

Mistar Muffin

• Archived User
System Link Problem
« on: November 16, 2004, 08:53:00 PM »

Hey all, I'm a student at the University of South Carolina and I'm having trouble getting system link to work in Halo / Halo 2. Here's the problem. On the second floor of my dorm, we can hook 2-4 xboxs into the network jacks in ANY room and play system link. We don't have to use our own router or switch, we can be in any room on the floor and hook the xbox up to the data jack in the wall. We'll now we're trying to play a system link game between 2 xboxs, one on the second floor and one on the fifth floor. Unfortunately when one box starts a system link game, the other cannot see it. Now, what I find interesting is that I can be on a computer on the second floor and easily ping a computer on the fifth floor........additionally I can access SMB shares and even use remote desktop on systems are on the fifth floor. Now this tells me that they are on the same network and everything SHOULD be kosher. Yet system link in Halo will not see games on a different floor (but it will see games on the same floor). Is there any solution to this? I tried hooking both xboxs up to xbconnect but since I can't forward my ports behind the university firewall I was unable to join my hosted game (even tho I could see it listed). Is there anyway to use xbconnect WITHIN a lan? I mean, I have no problem getting two computers on differen t floors to talk, so maybe if I connect each xbox to a computer on its respective floor and then make the computers talk via xlink, xkai or xbconnect or something. I only checked out xbconnect but there didn't see to be a way to this. Can anyone help me out? If you need any clarification let me know.

dpaul007

• Archived User
System Link Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 11:23:00 AM »

wink.gif

As for hooking up your Xboxs through your computers using KAI or XBC, I doubt that will work either, becuase you need to conned to a server that is outside your school's network, and like you said, the ports are blocked.  

What's wrong with just playing with people on the same floor?  tongue.gif  I can't imagine its that difficult to carry your xbox up or down a few floors just to play with different people.  Anyway, I hope I kinda helped.  If not, maybe someone else has a better explanation or solution.

pricemeista33

• Archived User
System Link Problem
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 04:34:00 PM »

Hey dapaul, I have tried and tried to link both of my boxes together and I get nothing but error messages. One says "Unable to join, wait a few minutes and try again later". I dono what I have to do to make the connection fully playable.  

One thing I was thinking about is that I have the exact same eeprom on both of the boxes.  Could this be the problem as of why I can't get the IP's to register?

I have tried two types of Crossover Cables and I've tried a hub with regular cat5 cables and still nothing.

aer

• Archived User
System Link Problem
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 09:26:00 AM »

Have you tried with 2 straight cabels ito a router/switch/hub ???

TheMuffinMan

• Archived User
System Link Problem
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 01:11:00 PM »

If you read through what happened at USC, they were trying to System Link on 2 different floors, which probably are on different vlans/networks/subnet, xbox's on system link aren't meant to do that, they're just mean to go straight to the other xbox on a switch or hub. All the jacks on the same floor are basically like one giant switch, so the xbox has no problem connecting. Your best bet is to get on the same floor as tunnel programs won't work within the same system (might but you'd have to play online against people) it'd be really squirrelly, haven't tried it myself but you may want to

TheMuffinMan

• Archived User
System Link Problem
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 08:46:00 AM »

put both xbox's on DHCP (so not a static IP address) and try a couple crossover cables (make sure you're not using patch) and you should be fine

j.archer

• Archived User
System Link Problem
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 05:50:00 PM »

ok i fix the problem whit a frien help...simply change the mac adrees and....bump...its works...