xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: The Eeprom Clone Experiement  (Read 4154 times)

Alkane

• Archived User
The Eeprom Clone Experiement
« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2002, 07:35:00 AM »

I wouldn't expect MS to ban people using the same Gamertag, if that's even possible (people using the same Gamertag).  If I get a chance to test it out somehow I'll see what happens and I'll document it.

I have an updated manual coming soon, probablly later today for the v1.1 Xboxes.  Basiclly the only difference is that version 1.1 Xboxes have to lock and unlock the Xbox using the old method until EEPromer supports them.

While on IRC someone contacted me saying that he's been able to write a program that can fool CRC checking on the Xbox BIOS.  He didn't have a working version for me yet so I haven't been able to try it out.  If he lets me try it out at some time I'll let you know what happens.  What he's told me is that it's fooled BIOS Checker, but now he needs someone to try it out on Live.

Kickace1616

• Archived User
« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2002, 10:38:00 AM »

has anyone else, since we started this experiment, tried using the same eeprom?? did you also change the mac address??

what has happened for you since??

Kickace1616

• Archived User
« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2002, 04:41:00 PM »

DO NOT CHANGE THE MAC ADDRESS!! I REPEAT--DO NOT CHANGE THE MAC ADDRESS!!

We didn't tell anybody this but 3 days ago we were banned 4 hours after changing the mac. Alkane thought it was me going on with a mod (i never did) or cause we were using the same eeproms & i thought it was cause of the mac address being changed. We didn't tell anyone cause we thought that we would try again without changing the mac & we have not been banned since. Today I  told alkane to change back to another unbanned eeprom & change the mac on it & see if you get banned & how long it took. He did & idmediately after flashing he went to the conectivity tester on the dash & he got "xbox live not found". He flashed a different unbanned eeprom the same thing happened--"xbox live not found" idmediately after flashing. He changed them back to the original mac & flashed the xbox & got "xbox live not found" on both eeproms.

so they must of recently made a protection against changing the mac.

We have not been banned since 3 days ago (when we got banned from changing the mac). We know 100% that you can use the same eeprom without betting banned - but you cannot change the mac or you will get banned.                                    

This post has been edited by Kickace1616: Dec 20 2002, 12:41 AM

shanafan

• Archived User
« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2002, 07:50:00 PM »

Wait a minute. You were banned 4 hours after this switch? So, you have been lying to us the entire time?                                    

Kickace1616

• Archived User
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2002, 07:58:00 PM »

just not saying anything. we didn't know if we were banned cause of the mac address change or cause one of us went on with the mod. We knew it wasn't cause of the same eeprom cause we were using that for too long to get banned. We had to test if it was the mac address to make sure.

We had to test using the same eeprom & changing the mac so we had to wait a couple of days for both to be tested & now we are telling you.                                    

This post has been edited by Kickace1616: Dec 20 2002, 04:00 AM

Pr0crastin8r

• Archived User
« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2002, 08:19:00 PM »

No offense, but it seems that you guys really don't know what you are doing.

He did & idmediately after flashing he went to the conectivity tester on the dash & he got "xbox live not found". He flashed a different unbanned eeprom the same thing happened--"xbox live not found" idmediately after flashing. He changed them back to the original mac & flashed the xbox & got "xbox live not found" on both eeproms.

so they must of recently made a protection against changing the mac.
first of all, its not the MAC because you can change the fricking mac in your xbox live setup.  it *could* be some sort of checksum check.  Also the way you word it it sounds like you are saying that your unbanned eeprom didnt work on your xbox after you got another one banned for changing mac.

odds are your disable switch is faulty or something. unless this info is double checked or comes from somebody who sounds more credible...

if it sounds like i am being an asshole, sorry, but with all that is said in this forum one has to be able to pick out the trusted info from the "shaky" info.                                    

Kickace1616

• Archived User
« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2002, 08:44:00 PM »

QUOTE (Pr0crastin8r @ Dec 20 2002, 03:12 AM)
No offense, but it seems that you guys really don't know what you are doing.
First of all, MAC because you can change the fricking mac in your xbox live setup.  it *could* be some sort of checksum check.  Also the way you word it it sounds like you are saying that your unbanned eeprom didnt work on your xbox after you got another one banned for changing mac.

odds are your disable switch is faulty or something. unless this info is double checked or comes from somebody who sounds more credible...

if it sounds like i am being an asshole, sorry, but with all that is said in this forum one has to be able to pick out the trusted info from the "shaky" info.

You were being an asshole --- first of all, changing the mac address on the eeprom is not the same as changing the mac address in the xbox network setting but ur too fucking supid to notice that when you change the mac in the advanced part of the network settings, the mac address for the xbox does not change (it shows the mac address from the eeprom on the main menu of network settings).

& we were banned cause we changed the mac address on the eeprom. We were able to flash another unbanned eeprom & have not been banned since.

the disable switch is not faulty on either xbox cause we have our bios's set to a different color so we know when we load the original & when we don't.

& if you don't think were credible, then why don't you get off ur ass & try it urself? Go use the same eeprom as somone else & change the mac on urs using eepmod & tell me what happens to both of you.

Bottom line::::using the same eeprom will work, changing the mac in one of the eeproms will not --- You don't know what the fuck ur talking about.                                    

This post has been edited by Kickace1616: Dec 20 2002, 05:07 AM

cmay123

• Archived User
« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2002, 10:04:00 PM »

ok, ive been away from my xbox for a few days, but today i got mech assault, a retail copy of course, but when i tried to play it on live, it said live not found? wth? I have a matrix installed but not enabled. so what gives, i got to xbox suport site and it told me to change the mac addy? wth is that. anyway i need help, my hardrive installed has only the microcrap dash and not evox or anyting(i have a spare drive for that).                                    

andreo

• Archived User
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2002, 11:14:00 PM »

Sounds like they're matching MAC address to eeproms. Which is smart on MS's part. Did both of you get banned or just the one with the changed MAC address?
Also I'm pretty sure that MS will put an end to two consoles on with same eeprom soon also. I bet they are keeping a close eye things out of the ordinary and will be for some time. After a while though (year or so maybe) they'll start slacking off.                                      

This post has been edited by andreo: Dec 20 2002, 07:17 AM

DreCon

• Archived User
« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2002, 06:17:00 AM »

Team Assembley have reported that they successfully changed the MAC address AND Serial number and Xbox live was completly happy. So its possible that if the Serial number was changed as well, it would have prevented the ban from taking place

cmay123: You say the XBOX.com site said to change the MAC address. Well in the Xbox Live dash there is an option for a MAC address and Host name. Your ISP may be able to provide a MAC address/host name to you. Or if you have 2 network cards installed on your computer and the Xbox is hooked up to one, you can enter the MAC address for the network card your ICS is on.                                    

This post has been edited by DreCon: Dec 20 2002, 02:18 PM

Alkane

• Archived User
« Reply #100 on: December 20, 2002, 08:00:00 AM »

Well I admit that I'm not the greatest of the hacker bunch, or much of a hacker at all and that Kickace's posts can be a little crude at times, but we did give you guys the warning to not try anything until we had more information (I still think you guys should hold off on sharing EEPROMs, altough me and Kickace are currently sharing one with no problem).

Just to clear some things up.  The place where you enter a MAC address in the Xbox Live dashboard is for your ISP's connection only.  There is a MAC address number in the EEPROM that we guess Xbox Live uses in some fashion.

Here's what happened, when we changed the MAC address on two EEPROMs they became banned almost immediately (this is after the first tests meaning that MS might have added in more protection or ajusted something).  When we tried using the oringal non-modified versions they were also banned.  When I was testing the modifing I also made sure to just change one character at the end to preserve the ISSUER ID.  I also made sure the checksums were currect by using SuperFro's eepmod program which automatically calculates the checksum and does the real work.

Enough of this, me and another person (anonomous) have been testing a loader to trick BIOS checks into thinking they are finding the original Xbox BIOS.  We have successfully tested it on BIOS Checker and the Xbox Live connection tester app.  We've run into a snag though.  After getting passed the connection tests and successfully passing on to any app running through the loader, the game or app freezes at different locations each time.  I think it might be because it uses to much RAM.  If you have any experience with Xbox programming and memory resistent program please message me with any ideas you might have.

These are my last posts in this thread.  See ya guys, thanks for the fun, and sorry for the trouble ;)                                    

This post has been edited by Alkane: Dec 20 2002, 04:08 PM

Alkane

• Archived User
« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2002, 07:56:00 AM »

DreCon - "Team Assembley have reported that they successfully changed the MAC address AND Serial number and Xbox live was completly happy. So its possible that if the Serial number was changed as well, it would have prevented the ban from taking place"

That was back during the Xbox Live US beta testing period I believe.  This no longer works as I understand it.

Oh yeah guys, treat the part about the loader as fake until something shows up.  wink.gif

Pr0crastin8r

• Archived User
« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2002, 11:33:00 AM »

thanks for explaining that better, your original post about that was ambiguous.  anyway, sorry for being an asshole before, but you have to see where i was coming from- its hard to immediately trust a poorly worded post :)                                    

Kickace1616

• Archived User
« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2002, 11:49:00 AM »

its hard to immediately trust a poorly worded post

yah i know what u mean.                                    

This post has been edited by Kickace1616: Dec 20 2002, 07:51 PM

Kickace1616

• Archived User
« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2002, 11:26:00 PM »

anyone else try using the same eeprom??