xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Using Phone As Wireless Adapter  (Read 198 times)

Aldanga

• Archived User
Using Phone As Wireless Adapter
« on: May 29, 2013, 12:07:00 PM »

What you want to do is not possible. Using the phone's Internet connection would require a vastly different setup and some additional hardware.

Aldanga

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 12:26:00 PM »

You could get a wireless router or extender, but it might be easier/cheaper to buy a wireless adapter for your 360. Unless you get a deal on a cheap router that supports DD-WRT or Tomato, you're probably looking at a $50 investment, which is about what a new wireless adapter for a 360 costs.

I should mention that you could possibly use a laptop to share your wireless connection with your 360, but I haven't tested such a thing in a long time, so I can't speak to how reliable it is.

Aldanga

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »

Then you're likely stuck with the adapter/extender/router purchase. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Aldanga

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 02:00:00 PM »

It's because of hardware driver limitations. A PC that has a driver supporting driving a network connection off of a specific phone connected via USB will work just fine, but the 360 does not have such drivers built into it. On a PC one could write and release drivers to support such a device on most platforms, but the 360's closed software prevents such modifications.

BoNg420

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 10:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(Aldanga @ May 29 2013, 04:00 PM) View Post

It's because of hardware driver limitations. A PC that has a driver supporting driving a network connection off of a specific phone connected via USB will work just fine, but the 360 does not have such drivers built into it. On a PC one could write and release drivers to support such a device on most platforms, but the 360's closed software prevents such modifications.

I havent tried this yet, but I was wondering if the WIFI adapter from a slim would work on a phat if you just got a USB extension cable.

Aldanga

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »

I would think it would. I don't believe there are any differences in software between the consoles (save for stuff related to the VMs).

lessweightgofaster

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »

Hi, I've run a old desktop pc and a laptop as a wifi adapter you just have to enable internet connetcion sharing on the wifi adapter, and use a cross over network cable if your directly connecting the xbox to the pc/laptop, works very well.

I think the slim internal wifi adaptors are 3.3volt and usb is 5 so it'll blow up if you just wire it in, tho it'll prob work off a memory slot there 3.3volt, i use the memory slot as extra usb ports, alot of usb stuff works with just 3.3 volt supply.

Cheers
Ian