xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Internal Sata Hard Drive Connection  (Read 149 times)

Guilty's_Park

• Archived User
Internal Sata Hard Drive Connection
« on: February 02, 2020, 06:24:00 PM »

I have a sata data cable soldered to my 360's motherboard where the hard drive connects, and now that I have replaced the internal hard drive with a cooling solution, I obviously don't have space and need to have the hard drive connected externally. Rather than run an extension cable outside the 360 to connect the drive, I was wondering if it's possible to just plug the hard drive into the port on the side still, even though there is a sata cable still soldered to it. Does that disable it?

It seems logical to just go ahead and try it out, but I'm very careful with stuff like this because with my 360 being an older Xenon I feel like it's very fragile and don't want to break it.

Also, note that it is only a sata data cable that is soldered to the motherboard, not a power cable. Does that mean that the power would work and the data wouldn't, or should they both work fine?

lessweightgofaster

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 08:22:00 PM »

As long as none of the tracks have been cut on the HD socket it should be fine on there. Had a standard HD plugged in on mine with a sata lead soldered to the socket connections aswell.
Cheers
Ian

Mandora

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 06:38:00 AM »

It's not advisable to plug an external HD while having a HD soldered to your Xbox because it may cause a conflict.

Guilty's_Park

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 02:45:00 PM »

Yeah I tried it last night and I got hard drive failure RROD. No damage done though.

lessweightgofaster

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 08:24:00 PM »

Sorry miss read it, you can only connect one sata device per cable, i thought you meant unplug the other drive first like!
Cheers
Ian

Guilty's_Park

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 08:36:00 PM »

No, that is what I meant. I just plugged in the same hard drive to the external connector instead and I got harddrive failure RROD. Not sure why, I guess it has something to do with the soldering job or maybe the 360 itself