xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Easiest Way To Transfer Hard Drive (jtag) W/o Avatar Reinstall.  (Read 78 times)

keine

• Archived User

I would like to transfer a hard drive from a 20gB to a newer 640gB hard drive. However, I do not want to do a system update after I do a transfer. I know this happens if you simply FTP over files back and forth, I tried. I am nervous about once again finding the correct system update file 13599 and would rather just not do it at all.

Can anyone point me to a resource for doing this in a relatively laid out manner. I've done some reasonable google'ing and I can't really find something adequate. Hex editing and linux dd seem a bit intense, but might be able to follow if I could find a good tutorial. Don't people do this all the time.

Found this. Get any easier?

http://forums.xbox-s...&...t&p=4335469

Gazc0igne

• Archived User
Easiest Way To Transfer Hard Drive (jtag) W/o Avatar Reinstall.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 06:59:00 AM »

couldnt be simpler

install Freestyle Dash 2.0

format a USB HDD or pen drive to FAT32

plug into xbox

navigate to file manager within freestyle dash

copy contents of 20gb hdd onto usb drive

swap hard drives to larger one

navigate to file manager within freestyle dash

copy contents of usb drive onto new hdd

simples!

keine

• Archived User
Easiest Way To Transfer Hard Drive (jtag) W/o Avatar Reinstall.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »

I greatly appreciate the help, however I don't believe that will avert the need to reapply the System Update in my case. But tried this,  I effectively followed this tutorial here:

http://www.xboxhacke...11600#msg111600

Essentially FTPed over all my HDD1 and HDDX from XexMenu. Format new drive. Apply HD Compat and then FTP back.

However after that my Mass Effect 3 profile was borked and the avatar update had to be applied again as it was now gone. I just stuck my orig 20gB back in as I didn't want to lose my progress.

I suppose I could try again and just suck up trying to find the 13599 update again, but I would rather not. I'd rather just find a way to 1:1 update. Looks like I'll be following a hex editor tutorial with offsets. I don't believe FTP can do a 1:1 copy without the need to reapply updates.