xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Possible To Use External Drives With New Usb Drive Support?  (Read 111 times)

BlueSlingShot

• Archived User
Possible To Use External Drives With New Usb Drive Support?
« on: February 28, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »

Hello. I'm running the latest freeboot kinect dash. Being that with the new dash update ms now gives the option to use the usb ports for storage, is it limited to only 16 gb flash drives or does freeboot remove the limit so like a larger usb device could be used and nxe will recognize it much like the hdd that sits on top of the 360?

Just wondering.

dennisv9

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 02:35:00 AM »

if you want the xbox see it as a MU (=memory unit) than 16 gig is the limit (you have to format it in the 360 dashboard); if you attach your drive as a fat32 formatted drive you can have bigger drives. so either a fat32 drive, or a MU with a 16 gig limit

twicked

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 02:30:00 AM »

I suppose I should update this:

Once you have 'partitioned' and formatted your drive as a memory card, you can use the remaining drive space as you desire.

I have several externals set up as 16 GB Xbox 360 memory units with videos and music loaded for more entertainment value.

I'm sure this is well known by now, but I figured it needed to be written.

40_ounce

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 05:03:00 AM »

The OP said he is "running the latest freeboot kinect dash" so I guess he has a Jtag right? If thats the case then he can hook up A 1 or 2 terabyte drive if he wanted to.

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(40_ounce @ Apr 5 2011, 08:03 AM) View Post

The OP said he is "running the latest freeboot kinect dash" so I guess he has a Jtag right? If thats the case then he can hook up A 1 or 2 terabyte drive if he wanted to.

Yup all he needs to do is format as big a drive as he wants with FAT32 and plug it into the 360.

You will need to use freestyle dash to make use of the external drive.