xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Slim Liteon Drive Problems  (Read 68 times)

wilgo45

• Archived User
Slim Liteon Drive Problems
« on: February 09, 2013, 08:36:00 AM »

Making a pretty strong guess

I think that your worm motor shaft needs to be cleaned and re-greased.
When they get gummed up they slow the works down.
That laser has to snap to several spots in a row.  Doesn't move faster - the read doesn't pass

Other thing could be: not a perfect match on the replacement Optic assembly.
There are two part number styles to the Lite On DG 16 4ds.
One is G2R2 - I believe  ... and the other G2R   ... got to match what was previous

Check on the spindle motor too.

You did some re-greasing  ....  What did you use ?  The type matters

triggz88

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 03:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(wilgo45 @ Feb 9 2013, 09:36 AM) View Post

Making a pretty strong guess

I think that your worm motor shaft needs to be cleaned and re-greased.
When they get gummed up they slow the works down.
That laser has to snap to several spots in a row.  Doesn't move faster - the read doesn't pass

Other thing could be: not a perfect match on the replacement Optic assembly.
There are two part number styles to the Lite On DG 16 4ds.
One is G2R2 - I believe  ... and the other G2R   ... got to match what was previous

Check on the spindle motor too.

You did some re-greasing  ....  What did you use ?  The type matters

I'll try regreasing I used lithium grease, I checked before I bought the laser it is  G2R2, I thought they had different ribbons anyway so that wouldnt have worked at all.

I have now exchanged the pcb with a working drive from a RDOD system I have lying about but I would still like to get this drive working so I don't have to buy a new one when I get round to the RDOD console.

wilgo45

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 05:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(triggz88 @ Feb 9 2013, 04:48 PM) View Post

I'll try regreasing I used lithium grease, I checked before I bought the laser it is  G2R2, I thought they had different ribbons anyway so that wouldnt have worked at all.

I have now exchanged the pcb with a working drive from a RDOD system I have lying about but I would still like to get this drive working so I don't have to buy a new one when I get round to the RDOD console.

Did you get your Drive Key from your original pcb ?

Don't throw that one out

....  did you remove that anti static blob from the new optic you bought ?

If the seller didn't sell you a new optic; it could have been of poor quality.  It happens.  Might just need another.
Or someone could have adjusted the POT in the wrong direction.  Not knowing what they were doing.

triggz88

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(wilgo45 @ Feb 9 2013, 06:43 PM) View Post

Did you get your Drive Key from your original pcb ?

Don't throw that one out

....  did you remove that anti static blob from the new optic you bought ?

If the seller didn't sell you a new optic; it could have been of poor quality.  It happens.  Might just need another.
Or someone could have adjusted the POT in the wrong direction.  Not knowing what they were doing.

no i didnt bother getting the drive key from the pcb I just desoldered the board and soldered it onto a working drive.
The new laser I bought, I did take the anti static blob off and it did play games fine for a few hours, really don't think its the laser to be honest because my old laser even though it didnt read anything never made any strange noises or anything just refused to read anything, now when I put my old laser back in it pretty much acts the same way as my new laser making weird noises etc.