xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Raising Prices  (Read 143 times)

aroberts

• Archived User
Raising Prices
« on: December 05, 2004, 01:48:00 AM »

I was just reading an article in one of those gaming magazines that mentioned the trend  the gaming industry is taking in raising prices.  It all started with half-life 2 at $54.99 instead of the customary $49.99.  I know there are alot of people on these forums that try to burn others for saying they are pirates, but when are we as gamers going to say enough is enough?  Whats going to stop big companies like M$ and Sony from raising their prices?  I for one would rather be labeled a pirate and blasted on every forum from here to timbucktu than shell out $70 for a video game.  What are your thoughts?

ninjax

• Archived User
Raising Prices
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004, 01:59:00 AM »

You are paying $50.00 for a game because you are getting the console for a fraction of price you should be paying for it.  Over time, yes, the prices of games are going to out weigh the price that you payed for the console, but nowadays you can trade your used gamed in for about 33% for what you payed for them (Unless the game is crap from the begining, or a sport title)  so if you are willing to trade in your games, and are willing to pay for a game instead of STEAL it, you really arent getting screwed that bad.

Caustics

• Archived User
Raising Prices
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004, 02:21:00 AM »

Games here in the Netherlands are a little under 70 Euro's for new xbox games (sometimes 60, but more and more 70).

At the current exchange rate, that's 70 * 1.33 = $ 93.1 !!!

Ofcourse there are stores that sell games cheaper, but it's a trend.

Caustics

shanafan

• Archived User
Raising Prices
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004, 02:43:00 AM »

Games won't cost $70. Just because one game (for the PC even) is $55, doesn't mean a trend is starting.

Unless this article you read (link?) is from IGN, or any other video game website, then just disregard the information

aroberts

• Archived User
Raising Prices
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2004, 02:54:00 AM »

QUOTE (shanafan @ Dec 5 2004, 11:15 AM)
Games won't cost $70. Just because one game (for the PC even) is $55, doesn't mean a trend is starting.

Unless this article you read (link?) is from IGN, or any other video game website, then just disregard the information

Newest issue of Official Xbox Magazine a pretty credible source.  And I quote from there, "So save your pennies and start expecting to pay more for you games; if you're going to pay $60 for one weekend worth of fun, it better be the some of the most fun you've ever had."  and I concur with that statement.

gcskate27

• Archived User
Raising Prices
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2004, 08:01:00 AM »

do you remember the super nintendo? i clearly remember games coming out for that priced around 75... street fighter 2 turbo anyone? in todays terms im sure thats a fair bit over $100...

these types of arguments are just weak justifications for people who want to pirate but not feel guilty about ripping a dev company off... so half life 2 is $5 more... its a damn amazing game... noone is forcing you to play games... its not as though id is putting a gun to your head saying "you must play our games at whatever price we charge, Muah-ha-ha" and youre execrising civil disobedience by pirating...  :rolleyes:

chilin_dude

• Archived User
Raising Prices
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2004, 08:58:00 AM »

Well with the way the US dollar is going, It's a lot cheaper for me to import now  :)

Bryce19

• Archived User
Raising Prices
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2004, 11:50:00 AM »

Yeah seriously. Games are ridiculously expensive. Even 20 dollars is a lot. Hey it takes all of us a while to make money. Doesn't come out of thin air.  :huh:

yaazz

• Archived User
Raising Prices
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2004, 12:37:00 PM »

I used to think games were expensive too, then I started making my own. I cant belive how much work there is to making even the simplest of games!
Devs deserve a mint for making quality games, and I'm going to pay it

dietrite

• Archived User
Raising Prices
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2004, 12:59:00 PM »

Didn't you people ever think to just rent your games??? then buy the good ones that really stuck with you.

MoeMan949222

• Archived User
Raising Prices
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2004, 01:06:00 PM »

This is all for your pleasure.....
They have to make there money. If there were less piraters, the games will be a lot cheaper  <_<

nagmine

• Archived User
Raising Prices
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2004, 01:11:00 PM »

yeah the more people pirate the more ur gona see the prices go up...  :rolleyes:

celinedrules

• Archived User
Raising Prices
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2004, 01:47:00 PM »

QUOTE (Bryce19 @ Dec 5 2004, 11:22 AM)
Yeah seriously. Games are ridiculously expensive. Even 20 dollars is a lot. Hey it takes all of us a while to make money. Doesn't come out of thin air.  :huh:

What do you still get a $5 weekly allowance from your parents? $20 is not even a lot of money to pay for a game.

One of the main reasons prices go up on anything is because cost of production goes up.

HamSandwhich

• Archived User
Raising Prices
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2004, 01:48:00 PM »

xbox games here are £40 so were getting charged more than u on them, but pc are cheaper here, launch price for pc games is £30

Dolfhin

• Archived User
Raising Prices
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2004, 01:57:00 PM »

QUOTE (Caustics @ Dec 5 2004, 10:53 AM)
Games here in the Netherlands are a little under 70 Euro's for new xbox games (sometimes 60, but more and more 70).

At the current exchange rate, that's 70 * 1.33 = $ 93.1 !!!

Ofcourse there are stores that sell games cheaper, but it's a trend.

Caustics

And that's exactly the reason i'm not buying any games anymore.

Game here are almost double the price, and for what? For some stupid added languages I don't want to hear anyway. I'm not going to pay double the price for the same product, besides that I would have to wait a few extra months to even play the game just because I live in The Netherlands!

F*ck them I want the game for a normal price and I want it at the same time as other people. Basicly that means i'm going to have to download it because importing it would cost me atleast 3 more days (and up to 16 bucks more!) while downloading doesn't cost me more than a day at least.

It would be cool if the people that made the game would put some more extra's on the disc like a making of and other stuff like they do now with DVD's.