xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 3 Red Rings (rrod) - Error Code 002  (Read 88 times)

evertonman67

• Archived User
3 Red Rings (rrod) - Error Code 002
« on: January 29, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »

Having the board re-flowed or re-balled is your only option here,matey

Jcb890

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(evertonman67 @ Jan 29 2012, 01:31 PM)  

Having the board re-flowed or re-balled is your only option here,matey

Really?  That blows!  Are you sure that will take care of it?

Could it be a case of too much thermal paste on the GPU or CPU or that the thermal pads on the 4 RAM chips need to be replaced?

evertonman67

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »

Error code 0002 is a Network Interface problem,so could be a problem with your ethernet port on your 360.Get the board re-balled first to see if that sorts the problem out.It's defo not a fault with your 4x RAM chips

wilgo45

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 04:14:00 PM »

hey

First off I want to double check something with you.  Your error code ?  Are you certain what it is ?

Is it a 0020 or a 0002 ?   Those are very different.  Are your fans running or not ?

A 0020 could require reballing a Chip

A 0002 - is work in replacing a Mosfet or two.  Or could be another issue in this department.  Basically power management problem.  A device is out or not tightly soldered anymore.  Like the Mosfet or Capacitor.  Or there maybe a developing issue with the Southbridge chip

I do a variety of repair work for 360.  Can even reball the Chips.  Let me know if you'd like my direct help

pure3d2

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 12:53:00 AM »

QUOTE(evertonman67 @ Jan 29 2012, 10:51 PM)  

Error code 0002 is a Network Interface problem,so could be a problem with your ethernet port on your 360.Get the board re-balled first to see if that sorts the problem out.It's defo not a fault with your 4x RAM chips

No it's not.  The 0002 is caused either by a cold solder joint under the CPU, blown mosfets/voltage regulator, or some other power-related problem.

wilgo45

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »

pure3d2  -  Is Correct

Jcb890

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 08:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(wilgo45 @ Jan 29 2012, 06:14 PM)  

hey

First off I want to double check something with you.  Your error code ?  Are you certain what it is ?

Is it a 0020 or a 0002 ?   Those are very different.  Are your fans running or not ?

A 0020 could require reballing a Chip

A 0002 - is work in replacing a Mosfet or two.  Or could be another issue in this department.  Basically power management problem.  A device is out or not tightly soldered anymore.  Like the Mosfet or Capacitor.  Or there maybe a developing issue with the Southbridge chip

I do a variety of repair work for 360.  Can even reball the Chips.  Let me know if you'd like my direct help

Yes, I'm sure that's the error code.  I checked, then re-checked, then re-checked a couple more times.  Each time I got 3x 4 red rings, then the 4th was 2 red rings, then it switches back 3 red rings that are normally showing.

Is there any good way to check to see where my bad solder joint is or which component may need to be replaced?  I work at a place with electronics and some electronics techs that can do board work and re-work and we have microscopes if I need to look to find a problem with a cap or something like that.  Which is the "Southbridge chip"?

Sure, I'd be very appreciative of any help I can get.  I just want my Xbox360 to work again.  I'll send you a PM.

Malf

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 01:23:00 AM »

I have the exact same issue as OP. Did X-Clamp replacement, and it worked for one night. Reassembled case the next morning, and plugged it back in, only to get RROD again. Here's my one difference; I got error code 0032 first. I reflowed the MB, then got error 0002. Just reflowed the CPU only (might be a bad idea, due to uneven heat distribution, but we'll see). MB is cooling right now. I'll report back with results.

wilgo45

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 01:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(Malf @ Feb 13 2012, 02:23 AM)  

I have the exact same issue as OP. Did X-Clamp replacement, and it worked for one night. Reassembled case the next morning, and plugged it back in, only to get RROD again. Here's my one difference; I got error code 0032 first. I reflowed the MB, then got error 0002. Just reflowed the CPU only (might be a bad idea, due to uneven heat distribution, but we'll see). MB is cooling right now. I'll report back with results.

When you reflowed your CPU what did you use ?  Wasn't a heatgun was it ?

If it was - heatguns give off a lot of residual heat.  You might have killed an Electrolytic Capacitor or an N- channel Mosfet.

0002 - error codes are indicative of power problems or power management.  Nothing to do with the power supply brick.  But everything to do with the devices around the CPU chip mount.

Best case - your heat source wasted a single Cap.  Or loosened one of the soldered connections on a Mosfet.  If you see any bulges in the tops of the Caps - or feel any solid crowning on those tops; that a pretty good sign

Worse case - you toasted your CPU chip

Plus when you did your reflow, did you use a bottom side heater.?  Very helpful in keeping warps or flexing down