xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: E74 Fix, Need Opinions. Please Help!  (Read 67 times)

iateshaggy

• Archived User
E74 Fix, Need Opinions. Please Help!
« on: August 21, 2011, 06:39:00 PM »

using xclamp replacement.

Avinitlarge

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »

Needs a reflow. I tried all different method when I 1st started with Xbox's, there is no substitute for a PROPER reflow

vettegofast

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »

The xclamp replacement kit it what i have. With the bolts, metal and nylon washers.

Where is the hana chip and how to properly reflow it?

Thanks!

Grifter357

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »

The Hana chip is a square chip between the GPU and the exhaust fan.

I have fixed e74 with a flux pen and a heat gun, using a laser temperature gauge and heating it to about 200 degrees.  Be careful though not to melt or over heat the surrounding components.  

Since there is no way to clamp the Hana chip, I press it down as I heat it.  I just recently fixed two xbox's with e74 errors, but I haven't tested them with extended game play.  I have them in the closet incase I ever need a console.

Keep in mind this is the 'do it yourself' method of fixing it, alot of guys here will tell you to send it to someone with hot air station and have them do it right, which is fine if you don't mind paying.

Also keep in mind that due to design flaws your xbox will RROD again so adding additional cooling will make your console last much longer.

xboxhaxorz

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »

why does everybody seem to think artic silver and some hardware is gonna fix electronics

MadMaxGR

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 02:00:00 AM »

QUOTE(xboxhaxorz @ Aug 22 2011, 07:04 AM) View Post

why does everybody seem to think artic silver and some hardware is gonna fix electronics

As we tell all the time... is a easy home temporary fix. it might last 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months... who knows... But the fact that Arctic Silver 5 is better than the crappy thermal paste MS use, is a fact!
Even, using proper x-clamp replacement can be better than the original x-clamps, but all depends on the parts you use and the implementation. Otherwise using MS original x-clamps can be better idea.
But, the most important thing is to properly reflow the GPU. Overheating the GPU might work most of the times but is just a temp fix, usually to indicate that the GPU is indeed the issue. Using pro reflow machinery is recommended then or going for full reball process.
So, statements like yours have no point for a novice user here. Please be more precise when you reply to people here. Otherwise you give wrong ideas and wrong solutions. Yes arctic silver and some hardware could fix many of RROD consoles, temporarily at least.
I hope I have clarified once more time what is the x-clamp replacement and why we do it (if we know how to do it right).

Avinitlarge

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 06:29:00 AM »

dry joint/cold solder under the GPU. It needs to be reflowed

MadMaxGR

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 06:44:00 AM »

QUOTE(Avinitlarge @ Aug 22 2011, 03:29 PM) View Post

dry joint/cold solder under the GPU. It needs to be reflowed

Yes I agree
You need to reflow the GPU. Get that heatgun and give it a smooth blow to reflow teh solders wink.gif

Avinitlarge

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 07:52:00 AM »

Be careful with the heat gun, There is a fine line between a good repair and a knacked GPU or motherboard

Avinitlarge

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 10:05:00 AM »

Ive tried the heat gun method loads of times, I did repair quite alot but I also killed a few too. Ive now got a proper rework station and its so much better in every way

Haygar

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »

I tried that on a xenon that I used to be able to kick into gear fairly easy when it rrod'd. That method didn't make it anymore reliable, in my case anyway.

I would love to know what is the most common fault with E74. Is it the GPU or HANA?

Reason is I've got an early falcon here that was only 1 year old when threw E74 and I know it can be jtagged.
I'm able to get it to run xell only.

Avinitlarge

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(Haygar @ Aug 22 2011, 11:11 PM) View Post

I tried that on a xenon that I used to be able to kick into gear fairly easy when it rrod'd. That method didn't make it anymore reliable, in my case anyway.

I would love to know what is the most common fault with E74. Is it the GPU or HANA?

Reason is I've got an early falcon here that was only 1 year old when threw E74 and I know it can be jtagged.
I'm able to get it to run xell only.

Its the GPU. Ive reflowed loads of consoles with E74 especially Falcons and Zephyr's. Ive never had to reflow the H/ANA, only the GPU

vettegofast

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »

well, its better than it was. so i think i am going in the right direction. i mean it keeps turning back on error free.  i can keep concentrating on the gpu at least.  i dont have any tools to reball, but maybe if i do a better job on the ac5 and add shims it might be enough. i will let u guys know how it turns out. if anyone has suggestions, please feel free.

MadMaxGR

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 01:12:00 AM »

QUOTE(vettegofast @ Aug 23 2011, 05:46 AM) View Post

well, its better than it was. so i think i am going in the right direction. i mean it keeps turning back on error free.  i can keep concentrating on the gpu at least.  i dont have any tools to reball, but maybe if i do a better job on the ac5 and add shims it might be enough. i will let u guys know how it turns out. if anyone has suggestions, please feel free.

Remember, don't overdo it with the AS5. You need a thin layer over the dies. Also when you do reflow with heatgun, keep the fun blow , low, and make circles over the chip, don't blow constantly on one point, it will flex the board.