xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: New DVD Drive: DG-16D5S - New HW and FW  (Read 216 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
New DVD Drive: DG-16D5S - New HW and FW
« on: July 07, 2011, 10:42:00 AM »

Posted by XanTium | July 7 12:42 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From team-xecuter.com:

A new drive has surfaced – whats strange is that is a different HW and FW versions but its also quite an old MFR date.

A new driver version: DG-16D5S
A new FW version: A445
A new Mt Chip version: MT1332E
NO EPOXY !!! ???

Thanks to Ed at VGCREPAIRS for the info

The missing link maybe ? ………

News-Source: team-xecuter.com

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »

Yes I think we see who is getting the upper hand now lol

OggyUK

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »

I'm fairly certain that this drive will never or was never "for retail use"

Very much like the BenQ 6039, It looks like a slightly 'less secure than the retail' equvilent.

I'll bet SlimKey works, SlimUnlock probably not.

What interests me more is, is the 8 pin chip an external flash chip, has the 1332 got an embedded die?

If so, can we take the differences in this PCB, apply it to the retail drive and add the flash chip ourselves....

carranzafp

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(OggyUK @ Jul 7 2011, 07:06 PM) *

I'm fairly certain that this drive will never or was never "for retail use"

Very much like the BenQ 6039, It looks like a slightly 'less secure than the retail' equvilent.

I'll bet SlimKey works, SlimUnlock probably not.

What interests me more is, is the 8 pin chip an external flash chip, has the 1332 got an embedded die?

If so, can we take the differences in this PCB, apply it to the retail drive and add the flash chip ourselves....

The external 8 pin device is not spi flash, its a temp sensor.  The spi flash is internal

Wrong conclusion: Changing the PCB will not make the MTK processor accept an external flash.

This note should never arised (and worst if its on front page) till its further investigated its just a dev unit

This post has been edited by carranzafp: Jul 7 2011, 08:50 PM

OggyUK

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »

As I since seen when not on a mobile phone, I can clearly see the markings on the 8 pin chip.

However, It's a very bold statement to say that it won't ever accept an external flash if there's an internal flash present.

Most things that claim to be "impossible to do" generally end up being done..... Just sayin...

carranzafp

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 02:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(OggyUK @ Jul 7 2011, 09:14 PM) *

As I since seen when not on a mobile phone, I can clearly see the markings on the 8 pin chip.

However, It's a very bold statement to say that it won't ever accept an external flash if there's an internal flash present.

Most things that claim to be "impossible to do" generally end up being done..... Just sayin...

Yes, 3 ground pins next to each other are hard to see I guess.

Re read my comment, I never said "wont ever" just saying changing pcb to make it same will not make what you state as the 8 pin is not spi flash. Its not even a spi bus

This post has been edited by carranzafp: Jul 7 2011, 09:36 PM

ruciz

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 02:36:00 PM »

For the fact it has a 1332E chip, not a 1335 series or later, and its missing the epoxy that has been on most drives since the Hitachi 78's I would presume this isn't meant for retail. They bumped the chip to rev 5 and added the 'W' for write protect, assume 'E' is for encryption.

I fully suspect to see a rev 40 chip, and a header/board redesign shortly. Then again T-X boards without C4E contribution are useless.

This post has been edited by ruciz: Jul 7 2011, 09:38 PM

danthaman673

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 11:59:00 PM »

Fascinating!
 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pop.gif)

I would like to know a little more about the origin of this drive, As I have yet to see one down-under.

Why couldn't this drive be spoofed?  If it is an earlier version, then perhaps you could swap-it-out for a 9504 based-drive and THEN update (I know, but apparently it works with phats before the new dash, OSIG aside...)

I'm guessing there can't be many of these floating around. Does appear to be some sort of prototype.

Brgds

This post has been edited by danthaman673: Jul 8 2011, 07:00 AM

XBOX360NYMODING

• Recovered User
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »

more info would be great

amak1131

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 12:22:00 AM »

I'm leaning towards this being a drive that did exist in consoles but was never reported. May be wrong.

ddsdavey

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 05:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(amak1131 @ Jul 10 2011, 07:22 AM) *

I'm leaning towards this being a drive that did exist in consoles but was never reported. May be wrong.

Very unlikely.Anyone thats repaired/traded in hundreds of secondhand 360s will have seen a few weird and wonderful set ups from M$ services refurbs. Im with dude stating its a Dev unit.
But then its hard to not listen to Oggy,being "that dude" for years (thats a compliment).

blob_54

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »

Here's a better Question for Ed at VGCREPAIRS.... whats the MFG date on the system itself... Maybe it has a mfg date of 11/10 on the drive... but is being dropped into newer systems now... hmm? ponder ponder... who knows without that info, jumping to the conclusion that its a dev unit is kinda silly without that info aswell to support it.

BLOB